Me no understand!!

Puffdiddy

Hi Guys, after a little bit of advice here as I'm not sure I understand how to hit the correct EC... Am I missing something?

my tap water is  0.8 and when I add the GH 3 part Nutes (micro first, grow then bloom) to the flowering guide - M-1.6m/L G-0.8m/L B-2.4m/L I'm getting 2.8-3.0 on my BL tester. 

The guide says 1.4-2.2 ec(Ms) Is that about right for hydro? 

I've noticed a bit a burnt tips on the leaves and am getting worried I'm not understanding how to get it right - it appears somethings not quite right.  Any ideas/Advice please?

I was a bit confused at first - basically you have high background EC so you dont need as much nutes as the bottle says.

You can either reduce what your adding to the amount of water you have so you hit 1.6-1.8 EC when you do a reading before watering - you will soon get the hang of actually how much you need for the amount of water u are using.

Or once added and EC too high then water down until you hit 1.6-1.8 - you will just have extra water with nutes in and perhaps waste some nutes doing it this way.

Just remeber the EC should be 1.6-1.8 when test the water AFTER adding everything you plan to.

e2a: The EC levels im quoting are for coco/hempy buckets but suspect anything much higher you will see burnt plants

Edited by highgrower
  • Like 1

@highgrower thanks for the reply - just so I'm clear - head for 1.6-1.8 including my 0.8 free nutes from the water board? If that's the case I'm quite worried and better pump some out as I'm Miles high... It's very much looking like Nute burn on almost every leaf - just the tincy tiny tips gone gold and white - maybe 2-3mm on pretty much everyone 

Im not a hydro man but suspect your have over fed them.

Your final reading should include the 0.8 from the water board.

For me I need about 4ml grow, 4ml micro and 2ml bloom for veg and 3Litres of water for the tri part nutes to get to 1.8 - i have background EC of 0.7

If you have a res then I suspect just topping up with water until you hit the correct EC should fix it - you may have to adjust pH afterwards - im tagging @GSZZ in as he will be able to advise on hydro far more than me.

Edited by highgrower
  • Like 2

Blimey - half the dose gets me bang on 1.6 

Everything is empty now - going to refill with that lower strength and keep an eye on things - Is there anything I should be looking for or testing for over the next week? 8/9 weeks invested in this first go - getting a bit arse twitchy now? Maybe I'll get my wife to bring me my sleeping bag :george: and I'll sleep here!

Half dose is what was recommended to me in coco for autos instead of following the bottle. Dunno if you're doing autos or not and don't know if it makes any difference, someone will be along soon I'm sure. 

I went from my tap EC of 0.4 and went up in 0.2 increments and now I'm at 1.5 and that's as high as I'll go. 

They got accidentally fed the the bottle amounts one time and I think the EC was almost 3 /cry 

I went back down to 0.8 EC for two feeds and worked back up and I think it has stopped the issue it caused.. well, they're not looking any worse now. 

@rolio that's great info thanks - I emptied and refilled the system last night and got it all to 1.8 with half strength nutrients and 1/4 calmag supplement. I'm hoping all will be well, not much I can do - fingers crossed. 

I'm flowering in a RDWC system and as the strain isn't that good - I've started a load of different new strains in a small family room so I can see if I find something that I like and works for me.  Problem here is I got a bit carried away and have 10 strains all growing like mad! 8 of the same in a hydro veg system to replace the crap ones I stuck with and 9 different ones in autopots Think I'll grab some cuts and flip them all - then battle with that... Proper novice excitement - it's such a beautiful thing though - like pringles, once you pop you just can't stop :)

Everything has been going and growing great - Im really enjoying it!  I thought I had my nutrient strengths right but after noticing the tips going golden, deep reading historical posts and advice from you guys I see that I can be halving my dosages - it makes sense now to included my Base EC as its there - dunno how I missed that - fingers crossed no long term harm done 

• Like 1

Just passing on information I've been given here over the last couple months mate :) I'm a complete novice too, it sounds like you're ahead of me a bit with that jungle on the go lol

I'm just growing a few autos in Coco and keeping it real simple with hand watering 

• Like 1

@rolio I went a bit overboard for sure - I didn't really work out what I'd potentially harvest - I just went on space available - bet a pro could do what I do in a cupboard  - with power prices as they are I'm properly wanting to master efficiency! Where are you at with your grow? Going okay? 

• Like 1

Yeah it's definitely the wrong time to start ramping up electricity usage lol

I'm just about half way through week 5 and other than the over feed which has effected one plant they're looking pretty healthy to me! 

I'm struggling with getting a consistent temperature which has been my biggest challenge so far! I read someone on here say they are keeping the root temps good and not worrying too much about ambient temps. Given the messing around I was doing trying to perfect it I just started to make sure the Coco is at around 24c and they seem to be performing well. 

At the start of the grow the heater was costing so bloody much using a 250w hps then 400w after but now I'm using the 600w HPS its levelled out.  I've had to put a duvet over the top of the tent to stop the temp drop at lights out, it's stopped it going below 21 now, when it was going down to mid teens! I was surprised how much difference it made. 

I've got a diary on the go if you wanna check out the pics 

http://www.uk420.com/boards/index.php?/topic/421767-first-grow-with-auto-speed/&page=3

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Puffdiddy said:

including my 0.8 free nutes from the water board?

containing calcium and magnesium

are you happy with the colour of your plants? -

lets see a picture

mystic

@mysticriver I'll send over in a bit - need to use the computer to upload pics - Is there a guide to using a phone to upload pics - using the PC is z faff and I dont like sending pics around via icloud - need a secure way of dealing with this -any ideas?

44 minutes ago, Puffdiddy said:

@mysticriver I'll send over in a bit - need to use the computer to upload pics - Is there a guide to using a phone to upload pics 

3 lines top right, go to browse, go to gallery, scroll down to the bottom and you'll see 'add images' then it's pretty self explanatory. 

Use Samsung gallery to resize or iPhone equivalent to get under .9mb

• Like 1