Effect Of Supplementing With Blue Light

MindSoup

11 hours ago, v12xjs said:

Deffo won't cause issues. I added it to improve health as I was losing lower leaves really early in flower and it made my plants much healthier immediately.

Those wavelengths also change the energy in each photon, so a blue photon contains 2.5x more energy than a red photon.
And following the logic that plants move away from red-heavy light, that would suggest it's the high energy blue they are seeking out.

Totally missed this comment lol

So are Blues more efficient (PAR wise) than reds? I thought reds put out more PAR/Watt. 

• Like 1

@mikeydoughnut I'm talking about using this for flower. Also my flat gets obscenely hot in the summer, so even with LEDs my extraction is going full blast all day lol. I'm working on a new house, but it's a pretty crap time to buy your first home lol

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, MindSoup said:

I was about to switch to 11/13 to try and get this haze to speed up a bit. That is one downside to no till that I've recognised, no option for root restriction. I'm not even controlling air temperature at the moment, I have been thinking of getting another inkbird so I can control soil and air temperatures separately, but I've got so many wires all over the place im reluctant to add more to the spaghetti. 

E2A as for far red: infrared ratios I'm not sure about that. IS have discontinued my light as they've started using thise new EVO LEDS, so I cant find the exact specs. 

Definitely switch to 11/13 on the haze now, you can run normal plants 11/13 alongside I've done so under MH and they finish faster with less weight,  led might make the weight up through balancing dli.

You could restrict the roots by planting the plant in a pot or something with holes in the sides, in the bed, like with a fig tree.

Tbh I think if you want a great veg light then it's a good offer 75w for £25 but I dont think its be a great flower light.:pirate:

• Like 1

Thats sort of how ill be keeping my mums, in a small pot nestled into a big no till bed, maybe I'll try in the flower tent sometime.

Ahh thats a shame, I was really hoping I was on to a bargain there. 

Edited by MindSoup
  • Like 1

I tend to view efficiency as a function of the lamp itself.
The way I see the increased energy in the blue spectrum is that all plants use light to make chemicals, but some chemicals are more complex than others. I believe that those more complex molecules require higher energy in order for the plant to be able to produce them.
Some of these must be related directly to plant health, which is why I saw an immediate improvement there when I added some daylight 6500k.
I mentioned it because I would assume that some of the chemicals that make sativas unique would also be of the more complex type and would therefore also benefit from a boost in the blue region.
It was more to do with your query on whether additional blue might be a negative benefit in your grow.
Sorry if I just complicated matters further :(

@v12xjs TBH mate what your saying does make sense in my head, I'm not really sure why it would be deemed pointless to add more blue if I'm honest. Buf then again I don't really have any knowledge on the subject lol

. Bit gutted because 75 watts for 25 quid is crazy cheap, I'd buy one for the veg cab, but f it wouldn't fit lol

Edited by MindSoup

Sorry mate, seems like I'm causing a bit of confusion.
I'm trying to say that I think blue light is a bonus either way.

If I wanted to use it to shorten plants then I'd be thinking sidelighting would be the best way to achieve that, but using it that way would not really be adding to the lights at the top of the plant so would maybe not give all the benefits of just adding there.
That's because it doesn't travel through leaves well so would be unlikely to reach back up to the tops.

And of course the opposite is true. Adding it at the top will not help to shorten plants in my experience, but it will give them an overall health boost and make the higher charged energy available to activate any complex chemical reactions in the new growth.

Personally I'd grab the light and try both configurations to see if either of them gave me noticeable improvements.

• Like 2

To clarify I wasn't confused about what you where saying, and from my basic understanding from watching a bit of dr bugbee it does seem to make sense. I was referring to a different comment.  

I'm still kind of tempted to be honest, I'm not really as bothered about having the absolute optimal spectrum as I am bringing my temperatures down for summer and having a slightly more efficient set up to tide me over while I work on getting a bigger house/ growing space . When I finally get more space the b60 could run a mum box, the ish100 could run the 2x2 as a veg tent and then get a 4x4 and a decent light for flowering. I'm gunna have a chat with IS and see what they reckon, they've always been pretty responsive and up front in the past. 

Edited by MindSoup
  • Like 2