24hour light cycle good or bad ?

J420P

5 hours ago, Crow River said:

I'm not claiming any expertise here. I have only grown autos so far. I have tried 18/6, 20/4 and 24/0 and combinations of these. I've also grown just under sunlight.

What I can say from my current grow: as my lights are a bit underpowered, I vegged under 24/0, then when the plants started flowering I switched to 20/4. This was for two reasons: to allow more THC production and preservation, and also because the plants stretched and DLI needed to be a bit lower due to proximity to the light source (restricted headroom). 

What I observed was that autos grow very vigorously under 24/0, but with relatively short internal spacing. Once they have even a brief dark period, they stretch more. It's possible of course that with more powerful lights you may get much squatter, bushier plants under 24/0 and less pronounced stretching with a dark period due to DLI being higher. I'm due to upgrade my lights for the next grow, so I'll find out soon. :) 

Whats dli i only been growing weed just under 2 years so i dont that much but what i would imagine is every plant on the plant has some form of dark period so i would assume that you would want to keep as close to nature as possible and if we were plants and some one kept us awake and  the light on for months we would go insane just a thought

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, Baron von greenback said:

Whats dli i only been growing weed just under 2 years so i dont that much but what i would imagine is every plant on the plant has some form of dark period so i would assume that you would want to keep as close to nature as possible and if we were plants and some one kept us awake and  the light on for months we would go insane just a thought

DLI = Daily Light Integral. Fancy way of saying total amount of light the plant receives in 24 hours. Preferred range is minimum 20, maximum 40 (mols).

This chart explains how it works for different lighting PPFD values and the amount of time they're on. Also shows why you need more powerful lights to flower photoperiod strains.

large.DLI_chart_LEDTonic.png

Edited by Crow River
  • Like 1
Just now, Crow River said:

DLI = Daily Light Integral. Fancy way of saying total amount of light the plant receives in 25 hours. Preferred range is minimum 20, maximum 40 (mols).

This chart explains how it works for different lighting PPFD values and the amount of time they're on. Also shows why you need more powerful lights to flower photoperiod strains.

large.DLI_chart_LEDTonic.png

Ok mate nice one i see what ppfd my lumatex 600 zeus pros are and see what mine is 

• Like 1
On 19/04/2022 at 11:12 AM, Should Know Betterer said:

@J420P, hope you find a light cycle that you're happy with and that works for you man, there's lots of good threads to be found regarding that very subject which I'm sure you'll find, and I'm sure you'll learn a great deal along the way, don't be put off by the angry voices on here, there's a lot more to this site than people shouting, though you've really got to search for it it seems lately, good luck with your growing man, hopefully you'll see that you're not just growing weed but you're growing yourself too :)

Nice one mate it’s all going good so far Loving it