Optimising my tent…will it work?

Tegridy Farms

So as the title suggests, I’m looking at optimising my tent.

Im hoping a few, more knowledgeable individuals can tell me if it will work or not, before I start building away and waste away the next few weekends on something that’s not going to be of use.

My plan is quite simple, basically I’m going to build a box with a door and separate my tent into 3 chambers.

large.F9AD9729-473D-4137-98C5-5CC659F4D9E8.jpeg

I have a dr60 which is 60x60x180cm. Ac infinity s4 & 4” mountain air filter.

I’m planning on building the box to a height of 75cm width of about 30-35cm depending on how I put the fan and filter. All the intakes will be light proof. The fan and filter compartment will be sealed except for the intakes, outtake and access for maintenance.

I’ll be using my lumatek Attis 200w for flowering and either led strips or cfls for veg room.

Can anyone spot anything I might be overlooking?

Tia, 

Tegs

Edited by Tegridy Farms

Hi

I have tried something similar to this and had a veg room in a tent in my flower room and it was a giant pain in the arse, the problem I had was to do with heat, I grow in an outbuilding and ended up having to much heat that I couldn't exhaust with the fans I had, I was however running HPS lights.  The only thing I would potentially look at doing slightly different to your plan would be to try and set it up so that you can vent the heat from the veg area into the flowering area, if you set the timings correctly you could hopefully use it to keep the temps up during the dark period to help lower costs.  I would also expect that you may need another fan as a 4" fan doesn't move a lot of air and trying to use 1 fan to pull the air through 2 boxes you may struggle especially as the vents will need to have light baffles on to stop the light going between the boxes

• Like 1

I’d worry about the size, not sure how you’re splitting the tent but seems like the diagram is a side cross section? I’d say main issue would be the height you’ve not got now you’ve split the space. Also fan and filter would work better at the top of the tent to vent all the hot air. Personally I think you’ve got too much in one space, it can be done but it’ll be a pain to grow in.

• Like 1

Do you not have space outside the tent to mount the fan and filter? That would open up some floor space for the veg room. Also I'd lower the roof of the veg space, by the time they'd fill a 75cm tall space they'd be way to big to flower in a 105cm tall space. I'd be wary of venting from veg space to flower, you might end up with too high humidity late in flower. 

• Like 1

Thanks for dropping in with your suggestions etc,

The drawing is a side view from the front of the tent.

im growing with led so temps aren’t really an issue.

You’d be surprised how much air the ac infinity moves. 

my tent is in the bedroom, so by keeping filter and fan inside the tent it reduces the noise massively.

But I agree with what your saying @MindSoup in regards to the height of the veg room, but with  the dimensions I’ve originally planned to use, that takes into account light distance from the canopy, I’ve managed to snap out of my lazy rut I’ve seemed to fall into lately and now back to training my plants again so I don’t think height will be a massive issue. Plus i was planning on connecting the fan and filter directly, and standing it upright to utilise as much space as possible.

I think you may have forgotten something - hot air rises, you may end up with some "dead space" where there is little air movement - so you may find it easier to have extract out the top of the drobe instead - if possible put the fan and filter outside of the tent so you gain more space.

I would simply have the intake in the bottom left/right of the veg space and then the extract the opposite side at the top.

My drobe is in my bedroom as well - but fan/filter is in a different room through a hole in the wall - when i move i will have some repairs todo - also i do sometimes sleep with earbuds as sometimes its just more noticeable than others

large.earplug.jpeg

Edited by highgrower
  • Like 1

@highgrower my mrs already sleeps with them lol the extraction atm is pretty quiet, if I turn my air movement fans off, you can barely hear it…bloody fans.

Id have air movement fans in both rooms, so that would control the hot spots. And as for extracting from the bottom, surely that would draw the hot air downwards…with the intakes drawing in fresh air and blowing that across the canopy.

you will struggle with height in flower tent as only you have left only 105cm.

I would also have air flow inlet into veg, then from there feed into flower and then exhaust out - if you keep your veg on 24hrs it helps steady out temp with lights on/off in flower tent 

• Like 2

Dont worry about light distances, just buy a light meter and dim your lights accordingly, I've had plants within mms of lights with little to no ill effects. 

• Like 1