Stealth Shed

Cakeyb

So I’m about to start a few grows. 

first is in a breeze block outside away from my house. Not so worried about this one, in a tent has power going under an 600w hps. 

few ladies in the greenhouse close by.

turn up for the books the Mrs has given the go ahead for a smallish grow at home. Issue being we live in a built up area lots of windows overlooking our garden area where the shed is.

We are in a rented house, there is a type of shed/outhouse in the garden, timber framed, but it has some glass windows/doors. It’s big enough, my main concern is venting, as it is owned by the landlord I’m loathed to cut into it to vent out. Don’t want to leave the door open for obvious reasons. 

The other option is my own shed. 7ftx3ft slight apex roof. Maybe 2m at its tallest. No windows happy to cut holes but no power directly there. Can always run an extension. Seems like the better option to me. 

Happy to hear thoughts and suggestions from the esteemed growers here.

I reckon your own shed is probably a good shout, come inspection time they'll probably not even worry about looking inside it, my mate rents a house and has been growing non stop in his shed for years. From seeing other people's experiences your biggest issue will be temperature and humidity fluctuations. Going to town on insulation will save you a fair whack in the long run, and factor a dehumidifier and a decent heater into budget. In the winter you'd be best off drawing air from inside the shed, at summer it would be good to be able to switch to drawing it in from outside.  

Heres a brilliant thread for some inspiration, maybe you could also heat your greenhouse with your excess heat in winter. 

• Like 1

I grow in shed year round. Here is my build. I opt to suck from outside the space in. Energy efficiency is must for my so no oil rad as they will send your bill sky high. Here is my build and grows etc. 

Any questions just let me know Ty. 

large.61805c9bb3127_NikonAnimalBiscuitsW8(3)(Large).JPGlarge.61805c957ecd2_NikonAnimalBiscuitsW8(1)(Large).JPG

Edited by growinggold
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, stu914 said:

Have a look at my shed build thread...:yep:

Where do I find it? Apologies still trying to navigate the forums. 

you’d think after 20+ years in IT I’d be able to do this sort of thing

• Like 1

Some great shed builds thanks folks.

probably far more advanced than I could build. But my plans are to pop a tent in there for ease, but then I thought about just lining the shed with Mylar and using insulation board to keep the heat in.

other issues would be the shed is against the dividing fence with the neighbour. Do carbon filters hide all the smell? Or am I risking things by being so close ? 

haven’t used LED to grow and trying to keep costs down as well am I best to stick with an HPS bulb. I’d love to try led and have looked locally for cheap deals, trying to avoid the crap on Amazon if possible.

22 minutes ago, Cakeyb said:

Where do I find it? Apologies still trying to navigate the forums. 

you’d think after 20+ years in IT I’d be able to do this sort of thing

I go into my profile, then click activity, then topics...now that's how I get there, I assume it's the same for you...

Computers are a bit of a mystery to me I'm afraid...

Sorry forgot to add, my extract is right next to the neighbour's fence as well, make sure you have a good working filter.

Edited by stu914
  • Like 1

If you're going to do it then do it right and Stu has done it right bud, so no skimping ;) 

Good luck with it and insulation will now be your new best friend :yep: 

• Like 2

@Cakeyb

I can only imagine bud as it gets cold enough here at times and I'm a lot further south than Scotland.  With regard to those electrics though, I don't recommend the "extension cable" idea. 

An armoured cable buried (or gantry) is the better option and not cheap but designed for the task.  If you can't quite manage it then at least ensure that whatever conductors you put in are up to the job (higher capacity than the fusing) and they are within an armouring of some function like a pipe etc. with a bit of room in it. ;) 

• Like 2

Just now, botanics said:

@Cakeyb

I can only imagine bud as it gets cold enough here at times and I'm a lot further south than Scotland.  With regard to those electrics though, I don't recommend the "extension cable" idea. 

An armoured cable buried (or gantry) is the better option and not cheap but designed for the task.  If you can't quite manage it then at least ensure that whatever conductors you put in are up to the job (higher capacity than the fusing) and they are within an armouring of some function like a pipe etc. with a bit of room in it. ;) 

see that’s the issue. I have my shed, no power currently, happy to make holes etc.

or the landlords shed with power, fairly certain they don’t want me making holes in it. 

Holes can always be filled up mind ;)   

If you cut them out with a hole saw, just keep the bit you cut out and then when you move on to pastures new, put it back in. 

• Like 1

Just now, botanics said:

If you cut them out with a hole saw, just keep the bit you cut out and then when you move on to pastures new, put it back in. 

Aye seems like the best bet I think, much bigger space as well.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, botanics said:

large.2E0F0169-13AC-431C-8CA5-955C86761208.jpeglarge.9F057D20-9480-4931-83DC-8634015765FE.jpeg

here’s the landlords outhouse. Seems the better option 

Edited by Cakeyb
  • Like 1