Growing Medium & Nutrient Advice Needed

A1Dan

Hi again folks,

Just getting ready for a third season of growing a few plants in my little poly-greenhouse (mixed results from last year can be found elsewhere in this forum!).

My first couple of attempts I grew in Gold Label Special Mix, with little extra nutrition other than some Tomorite during flowering, but this time I thought I'd pop into a local shop and see what they suggested.  Result being I've come away with a bag of Gold Label Hydro Coco 60/40, and some Samurai Coco A & B nutrients.  Thought I'd tap you guys' weesdome on a few things...

Firstly, the guy in the shop was happy that using the 60/40 right through from seedling to harvest would be fine.  I had been wondering about mixing with remnants of the Special Mix, or some other compost... any preferences on that?

As I understand it, I'll need to provide the nutrients from early on, as the 60/40 doesn't really contain any, right?  Anybody able to point me to a decent guide on quantities / frequency etc?

Then finally a couple of things I've read on the products I'm not sure about...

The 60/40 instructions talk about maintaining the correct ph at different stages.  Not something I bothered think about with my previous grows, though I'm aware (if only from watching Top Boy!) that it's crucial in any kind of professional attempt at farming.  Is it for any reason more important with the 60/40 than with soil, and how's best to go about monitoring and controlling, if I need to?

The Samurai instructions talk about coir requiring draining each day.  Again, no idea what's involved there, and how relevant it is when just growing in pots in a greenhouse?

Any advice welcome. looking forward to another season of learning!

You’re now going to be growing hydroponically with an inert medium. Looks to be 60% clay pellets and 40% coco. That seems like it’s going to need multiple feeds per day during some stretch of the grow at least. You need to feed them with nutrients every time you water, at least once every day and feed them to runoff. You’ll need to ph your feed to 5.8-6.2ish. I’d take it back and get some soil or just coco if you’re trying to just throw some plants in your greenhouse and keep it easy.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, A1Dan said:

Hi again folks,

Just getting ready for a third season of growing a few plants in my little poly-greenhouse (mixed results from last year can be found elsewhere in this forum!).

My first couple of attempts I grew in Gold Label Special Mix, with little extra nutrition other than some Tomorite during flowering, but this time I thought I'd pop into a local shop and see what they suggested.  Result being I've come away with a bag of Gold Label Hydro Coco 60/40, and some Samurai Coco A & B nutrients.  Thought I'd tap you guys' weesdome on a few things...

Firstly, the guy in the shop was happy that using the 60/40 right through from seedling to harvest would be fine.  I had been wondering about mixing with remnants of the Special Mix, or some other compost... any preferences on that?

As I understand it, I'll need to provide the nutrients from early on, as the 60/40 doesn't really contain any, right?  Anybody able to point me to a decent guide on quantities / frequency etc?

The 60/40 instructions talk about maintaining the correct ph at different stages.  Not something I bothered think about with my previous grows, though I'm aware (if only from watching Top Boy!) that it's crucial in any kind of professional attempt at farming.  Is it for any reason more important with the 60/40 than with soil, and how's best to go about monitoring and controlling, if I need to?

The Samurai instructions talk about coir requiring draining each day.  Again, no idea what's involved there, and how relevant it is when just growing in pots in a greenhouse?

Got indoor hydro gear for a outdoor grow!!

Mugged right off.

U do much resesrch inbetween the last 3 seasons .

;)

13 hours ago, A1Dan said:

Hi again folks,

you right in what you saying you need to add your own nutrients when using coco as it dont contain any. i know if using coco alone you got to have a run off every time (water coming out of the bottoms of the pots) after every watering otherwise you have a salt build up which will lock the nutrients out feeding your plants properly same thing can happen if you leave coco dry out. if i was using gold label 60/40 i try to set up a dripper system where the plants are getting a constant feed and the coco will never dry out. i hand water first to make sure you get a run off out of the bottom of the pots when you first put them in the greenhouse. and then use a dripper system to make sure the coco constantly damp. you can buy dripper systems quite cheap. for greenhouses but why not make you own with a couple of plastic bottles you only need to make a little hole in the bottle and as long as it starts dripping rest it over the top of your pots it may sound like a silly idea to some people but thats what i would do. coco drys out very quickly and its mixed for hydro so i guess it dry out even quicker which you dont want to happen. ferret 

8 hours ago, B-real said:

Got indoor hydro gear for a outdoor grow!!

Mugged right off.

U do much resesrch inbetween the last 3 seasons .

;)

5 hours ago, BilgePump said:

Yeah I don't think you want that guys advice again.

:yinyang:

Hmmm, does seem that way. 

I had read a bit about Coco when researching, but not much as it did always seem to be for proper hydro grows.  But just kind of assumed that having walked into a shop and told them what setup I was going with, they'd have a good idea of what was best.  The guy did seem pretty stoned tbf.:rolleyes:

• Like 1

17 hours ago, SnakePlissken said:

You’re now going to be growing hydroponically with an inert medium. Looks to be 60% clay pellets and 40% coco. That seems like it’s going to need multiple feeds per day during some stretch of the grow at least. You need to feed them with nutrients every time you water, at least once every day and feed them to runoff. You’ll need to ph your feed to 5.8-6.2ish. I’d take it back and get some soil or just coco if you’re trying to just throw some plants in your greenhouse and keep it easy.

Sounds like taking it back my be the best bet:ouch:  Any advice on best soil to get... stick with the Special Mix?

Will the Samurai A & B be any good for growing in soil, or should I try and swap them for something more appropriate too?:g:

Edited by A1Dan

Just now, A1Dan said:

Sounds like taking it back my be the best bet:ouch:  Any advice on best soil to get... stick with the Special Mix?

Will the Samurai A & B be any good for growing in soil, or should I try and swap them for something more appropriate too?:g:

As..da 3 50 litres for 12 quid mate ;)

Edited by B-real

I second what @B-real said.

Any decent garden centre mtp will see you good for a greenhouse run.

I'm currently using and extremely happy with Erin malloy's multi purpose at 18 quid for 3 70L bags from my local g.c , it's basically all mix without the perlite or pricetag.

I’m in the US, so soil and nute brands are different, but there are plenty on here to help you with all of that. Never listen to the people in a shop. Best of luck with it!

Edited by SnakePlissken

22 hours ago, B-real said:

As..da 3 50 litres for 12 quid mate ;)

21 hours ago, BilgePump said:

I second what @B-real said.

Any decent garden centre mtp will see you good for a greenhouse run.

I'm currently using and extremely happy with Erin malloy's multi purpose at 18 quid for 3 70L bags from my local g.c , it's basically all mix without the perlite or pricetag.

Any thoughts on if I should use the Samurai A & B, or is that very specifically for hydro grows?

It's better to get a dedicated soil nute , have a look at intense nutes , their organix and dirt lines would be perfect for a soil grow under the sun.

• Like 2