Tiny Yellow Thingies

The Anvil

I keep my mother plants in coco. I hand feed them with their pots in a plastic saucer.

In the run off are tiny little yellow things floating on the surface. They are so small that I found it impossible to get a picture of them. If they were a dark colour instead of yellow I'm not sure I would even be able to see them. They look almost like dust, little pieces of hair, or even fine saw dust.

They are 1 -2 mm long and even with a magnifying glass they look featureless - no wings, legs or anything which looks like a head or a tail that i can see.

They float on top of of the run off and kind of flick or twitch across the surface.

I have had these several times in the past. Every once in a while I flush the mothers with 1/4 strength feed which reduces the numbers I see in run off but clearly isn't getting rid of them.

They don't seem to have an affect on the plants' health.

Although they might be lava of some kind, I never find anything flying in the grow room or on the fly papers I keep in there which I can associate them with.

Any ideas what they are and how to get rid?

Absolutely no idea, but now I'm curious so I'll follow for the solution, I'm sure someone will be along soon.

• Like 1

On 06/04/2022 at 10:09 AM, MindSoup said:

Absolutely no idea, but now I'm curious so I'll follow for the solution, I'm sure someone will be along soon.

Or maybe not...!

Sounds like it could be Springtails?

I used to use diatomic earth and cinnamon etc,

to get rid of them but it just slows the drainage of water from the surface of the pot,

which is a real pita:wallbash: 

I don't bother them now as I'm fairly sure they aren't detrimental to my plants.

Atb

:yinyang:

Just now, Shumroom said:

Sounds like it could be Springtails?

I used to use diatomic earth and cinnamon etc,

to get rid of them but it just slows the drainage of water from the surface of the pot,

which is a real pita:wallbash: 

I don't bother them now as I'm fairly sure they aren't detrimental to my plants.

Atb

Thanks for chipping in, Shumroom. 

I'm not so sure they're springtails from what I've just read about them. But they don't seem to harm my plants.

I will try some diatomaceous on top of the coco, though. It certainly wont do any harm. 

• Like 1

Another thing you could try is a layer of sharp sand on the top,

the same technique that @Alys used against nematodes last year.

The good thing about sand is it drains easier than a layer of DE :) 

Good luck with your growing :D 

and let us know how you get on,

do you have a grow diary on the go?

You can get lots of input,

whether you want it or not lol

Atb

• Like 2