NFT grow setup and starting seeds

3axis

17 hours ago, 3axis said:

Thanks again, I appreciate your effort, time and willingness to share, I will digest and get the details like the env nailed and tested, I'm sure I'll be back for further wisdom :-)

Good luck buddy, happy growing

Just discovered oxypots, I am guessing that these might be a better solution for my space, being able to move them, they seem to have a lot of the benefits of NFT without risk of nutrient pump failure or transferring illness to the other plants.

Would the plan be the same, discard the last 25% nutrient mix and replace or keep topping up?

What would be the best way to germinate the seed? I was going to go with rockwool with NFT but OXY uses clay pebbles. I am wondering about getting the seed to germinate and grow roots long enough. I guess the pot could be filled to cover the roots. I was planning on getting a propagator so it would be helpful to know what media to start the seed in and when and how to transfer the seedling into the pebbles without damaging the roots (hence the water level question).

Any input would be appreciated.

On 07/04/2022 at 6:08 PM, trichomehi said:

Good luck buddy, happy growing

Not sure if you would see my latest question but I was wondering about oxypots?

Thanks

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, 3axis said:

Not sure if you would see my latest question but I was wondering about oxypots?

Thanks

Hi bud,

Just read through what you're trying to do and I think the system I use might just suit you...

Have a look at my  "Mish-Mash" thread..

This is an easy DIY grow system which has proved to give good results while addressing problems that arise with growing hydro.

Have a look and see what you think, tag me if you've got questions.

Good Luck

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, stu914 said:

Hi bud,

Just read through what you're trying to do and I think the system I use might just suit you...

Have a look at my  "Mish-Mash" thread..

This is an easy DIY grow system which has proved to give good results while addressing problems that arise with growing hydro.

Have a look and see what you think, tag me if you've got questions.

Good Luck

Thanks, I think I did come across your thread earlier :-) I toyed with the idea of diy but I've spent so long preparing the space and I would prefer to start with something established, I am worried that I would never get started or learn anything :-)

I did see the wilma kit, then looked at NFT and the oxypots seem to be a good starting point for a beginner, no pump only airstone. The 4 pot is comparable in price to the NFT that I was considering and I could start with 1 or 2 pots. I guess as long as the water level doesn't let the roots dry out it should survive, I am not sure how vital the air pump is...

I'll read in more detail and see what I can learn and what the pros/cons are, I was happy with going NFT but the oxypot seems more suitable to my space and I could try in the beginning with 1 pot :-)

Any thoughts or advise welcome. Thanks again.

5 minutes ago, stu914 said:

Edited by 3axis
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, 3axis said:

You got it, make sure the nutrient level reaches the roots, to start i would stick to discarding 25% until you learn to read the plants.

14 hours ago, trichomehi said:

You got it, make sure the nutrient level reaches the roots, to start i would stick to discarding 25% until you learn to read the plants.

thanks again you input has been really useful and I have finally ordered most kit, just testers, nutes, fans & other consumables that would be needed to do a grow, I'm going to give shogun a try first.

lots of jobs before I can do much more but its reassuring to have got this far and have a plan that will get me started.

i guess its like anything in life, you know very little until you until you get some experience, someone can be 100% with knowledge (not me) but the experience provides wisdom :-) the questions you've answers has really helped, saving me from endless loops researching :-)

Another question is how much is humidity important? unless ducting fresh air through and heat should make a difference but 65 is with a dehumidifier and 75% is the average, are temps more important? am I doomed to failure? hopefully not :-)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 3axis said:

thanks again you input has been really useful and I have finally ordered most kit, just testers, nutes, fans & other consumables that would be needed to do a grow, I'm going to give shogun a try first.

lots of jobs before I can do much more but its reassuring to have got this far and have a plan that will get me started.

i guess its like anything in life, you know very little until you until you get some experience, someone can be 100% with knowledge (not me) but the experience provides wisdom :-) the questions you've answers has really helped, saving me from endless loops researching :-)

Another question is how much is humidity important? unless ducting fresh air through and heat should make a difference but 65 is with a dehumidifier and 75% is the average, are temps more important? am I doomed to failure? hopefully not :-)

That's a complicated question again it comes back to learning about managing an environment, are you using an led light system or a conventional system? Will you be using an extraction fan? What sort of fan controller will you use? Humidity plays a very important part in the lifecycle of the plant, it changes as the plant changes, temp on the other hand is dependent on the outside conditions and the equipment your using, but the temp generally stays within the same range  thru out the life of the plant, if you've got the cash you can buy the equipment to have the perfect environment,  if not then you work out as you go along. Try doing a grow diary lots of really talented growers on here that will keep you on the right track, I'll be starting a nft diary in about a month, it's a good way to pick up new tips.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 3axis said:

Humidity and temperature are tightly entwined, it's not one or the other. Ultimately, it's about trying to keep the somata open in the leaves where transpiration occurs and as such growth. A plant will close its stomata whenever its internal moisture veers outside a survivable range. I don't think there is any advice that can be given in compact form, as every grow situation is different. This is something we all have to learn the hard way, by doing.

If you have strong desire and will to understand the relationship between  the plant and its environment, I can point you to a book called Plant Empowerment: The Basic Principles. It's for professional greenhouse growers who want to learn the science at the cellular level. It's 130 quid though. It was recommended to me by GSXX and is very good. You can't read it like a novel though. You have to absorb it in bits. I think you are probably looking at months/years to grasp it completely. Environmental control is a complicated subject in itself. When you've got the easy stuff out of the way, this is where your attention will end up, if you persist long enough.

Edited by catweazle1
  • Like 3

Thanks for the excellent advice, I can google things using terminology mentioned as a good start. I have time and I'm not one to give it up early :-)

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Get yourself a good environment controller and you'll be able to get pretty close right away. 

Like trico says - make notes - I've got little stickers everywhere with temp ranges, ph, ec, fan speeds, nutrient quantities to get right ec etc etc. really helps me.

19 minutes ago, Puffdiddy said:

Get yourself a good environment controller and you'll be able to get pretty close right away. 

Like trico says - make notes - I've got little stickers everywhere with temp ranges, ph, ec, fan speeds, nutrient quantities to get right ec etc etc. really helps me.

Thanks, I'm still compiling that sort of info, something to start with. Its not easy, there are many different values quoted. I can look at the nutrient labels and create a chart but it would be great to get any suggestions with regards to a starting points. For example, I've seen temperature ranges 22 to 28, where is the sweet spot? Similar for other variables would be really helpful.

• Like 1

I can only share my experience and so far its been good - I've asked lots of questions here and used Google, manicbotanix and a site called grow weed easy to have a read up.

Different stages call for different environments and the environment is really special to your space , your plant count , your lights , your kit , the strain or strains your growing - Definitely stick to one strain to get going- i didn't listen to that as like many I was like a kid in a sweetshop, it just leads to a head fu k trying to master just the right settings for all their differing needs, im now getting ready to start another grow in a monocrop style - 1 strain 8 clones and then im going to try and grow that one to the best of my abilities. 

I digress,  environment 

There are 5 stages where environmental conditions are optimised slightly differently 

Seed > seedling > vegatative > flowering > harvest and a actually a 6th curing ... confused yet ?? Don't worry you will be.

I'd suggest having a look at the two sites I mentioned above and have a read through .

I then made each little stage a sticker with the settings printed on so it helped me in my first few weeks. 

Its so much fun and obvs the rewards are priceless- keep coming back and ask away , they're are so many really helpful and experienced growers here you'll never have a problem that can't be solved .

Have a great weekend Nd happy growing 

2 hours ago, Puffdiddy said:

I can only share my experience and so far its been good - I've asked lots of questions here and used Google, manicbotanix and a site called grow weed easy to have a read up.

Different stages call for different environments and the environment is really special to your space , your plant count , your lights , your kit , the strain or strains your growing - Definitely stick to one strain to get going- i didn't listen to that as like many I was like a kid in a sweetshop, it just leads to a head fu k trying to master just the right settings for all their differing needs, im now getting ready to start another grow in a monocrop style - 1 strain 8 clones and then im going to try and grow that one to the best of my abilities. 

I digress,  environment 

There are 5 stages where environmental conditions are optimised slightly differently 

Seed > seedling > vegatative > flowering > harvest and a actually a 6th curing ... confused yet ?? Don't worry you will be.

I'd suggest having a look at the two sites I mentioned above and have a read through .

I then made each little stage a sticker with the settings printed on so it helped me in my first few weeks. 

Its so much fun and obvs the rewards are priceless- keep coming back and ask away , they're are so many really helpful and experienced growers here you'll never have a problem that can't be solved .

Have a great weekend Nd happy growing 

Thank you, all good to know. I appreciate your input.