how much with the electric price hike how much will it cost to run a 600w HPS light

the ferret

just wondering guys if anyone can work it out how much a week would it cost to run a 600w HPS light with the hike in electric prices

Just now, the ferret said:

just wondering guys if anyone can work it out how much a week would it cost to run a 600w HPS light with the hike in electric prices

What about the rest of the set up that also uses electricity? If you have a look at your bill (or new bill) it will tell you what a KW of electricity is. 

• Like 1

At 29p/KwH, 600w light only, it will be £22/week for the 18 hour cycle and £11/week for the 12 hour cycle. That's what it will cost me.

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, badbillybob said:

54% more than it cost you last week, id guess

ive not done a grow for a while thats why i was asking.

You can save money by using a lower wattage bulb in veg, a 250w halide would be fine (I use a 100w fluro tube panel for the first few weeks), then you only using the 600w for 12 hours a day during flower (pobably closer to 800w with fans etc), fans, and heating will only amount to 200-300w when lights are off (depends on your setup). If your not already you can also use scrog or sog to maximise yield in your space, it's totally possible to absorb the extra cost of energy by improving techniques etc.

It's still a way cheaper option than buying from the street, and should be a higher quality product.

• Like 5

I’d say about £50 a month at my current rate.

Pro tip…. Only grow equatorial sativas on 12/12 and save £££ on veg times :pirate:

• Like 4

Just now, LA LUNA said:

Pro tip…. Only grow equatorial sativas on 12/12 and save £££ on veg times :pirate:

Is this feasible?

Would it really save money as I only veg under the big lights for a couple of weeks. Even then the lights are dimmed down.

How long would you 'veg' on 12/12 for ?

3 minutes ago, Mugwuffin said:

it's totally possible to absorb the extra cost of energy by improving techniques etc.

I've already done this to get my costs down before the price hike.

Moving to LED's for flower and vegging under smaller LED's.

But now electric prices rise and I am back to square one :wallbash:

I even turned the LED's down slightly last grow, but got less weed probably.

:mellow:

• Like 1

Just now, smokinggolden said:

Would it really save money as I only veg under the big lights for a couple of weeks.

No mate it was a joke, it could work with the right plant obviously but it was a joke :D

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Darknight420710 said:

29p kwh isn't bad. I'm 35.01

What's the standing charge though?

I'm on 28.7p kwh but my standing charge is 48p

• Like 2