Contactor do i need one ?

GG88

Currently rebuilding my grow space do I need to use a contactor for my light which is a 300w Attis LED and depending if I grow over winter is a 400W HPS 

Im using a digital timer which is rated at 13A max 3120w 

if I do need to use one came someone recommend what I need and where from 

thanks fellow growers 

You use a contactor or a relay to protect your timer's circuit from blowing from the surge when the power switches on.  If you use a timer, which you will, you'll need to protect it.

The above was always true for mechanical timers tho - I'd expect the same for digital.  Relay's are quite cheap, I wouldn't work without one.

Cheers guys want it to be safe as possible rather not burn my house down 

is it something I can pick up from screwfix ? Ideally want to get the room sorted and grow back on track 

You don't need one for your LED as there's no power surge, unlike HPS which you will need one for.

Pretty sure the site sponsor will have one in stock, designed for the job, safest and you'll get the best deal.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

Just working out a new grow setup.

Want to check I can plug 3 x 250w LEDs into an extension lead that goes into a normal timer in the wall and don't need a contactor? Is that ok?

• Like 1