Prevention Better Than Cure?

Alys

13 hours ago, Alys said:

buy 30 L of compost and treat it from the offset with nematodes?

That's what I tend to do, or at least chuck some soil already containing nematodes into it. Persimilis miles (predator mites) are also a great one to introduce into the mix as well. While your at it, why not add some californicus for spider mites as well :hippy:

Edited by MindSoup
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, BilgePump said:

But yeah, anywhere that has a hoofing gurt warehouse or at least an awning/lean to covering compost bags would be a better option for compost purchasing 

I got a bag of Dalefoot from Scamazon, which I imagine was wharehouse stored. It turned up bone dry so figured I was on to a winner but was absolutely infested as soon as it got damp/warm, 

• Like 2

Ah that's a crapper @MindSoup.

I've only ever had gnats from garden centre compost , and only then outdoor mtp types. 

Weirdly enough though and this has only just occurred to me I use the same base compost at work as I do at home , at home I get the odd gnat but rarely more than half a dozen at a time.

At work I can't think of a time I've seen one , if  anything my workspace is warmer with higher rh so you'd expect loads.

:yinyang:

Yeah it was a bummer because I would normally have added some benis but figured I was in the clear and then proceed to waste about 70 quids worth of seeds figuring out I most definitely wasn't lol

Yeah I've never found much rhyme or reason to it, I've bought stuff that was near enough waterlogged thats been fine and others straight off the delivery truck that was riddled with them, definitely some luck involved, I imagine they can lie dormant for quite some time. Maybe I've been lucky but they never seem to be an issue for me when I grow outside. 

• Like 1

On 22/03/2022 at 8:06 AM, Alys said:

@Larry Badgeley thank you for your recommendation I shall look at that and see where I can get some.

Nowhere warm unfortunately - Grandma duties in Hampshire, but I am definitely going to spend all of next January abroad in the sun :)

Tropical Hampshire. The new Ibiza.

:yinyang:

• Like 2

On 21/03/2022 at 7:37 PM, Alys said:

Last year on my 2nd grow I was plagued by fungus gnats.  Horrid things. 

Fungus Gnats are a pain. Allow a proper wet/dry cycle in compost to make conditions hostile for them. They like damp topsoil for breeding. Once the plants are established Fungus Gnats themselves are not an issue its the larvae that crawl around in the substrate that could damage young plant roots. Worse blights can happen. Oh! and get some yellow sticky fly traps.

Also, get an 'I hate Fungus Gnats' T-shirt. I wouldn't get the sequin one, that's too much. Get the glo-in-the-dark one.

• Like 1

@Lux_Interiort-shirt! Believe me I was hostile to those damn gnats but they were flagrant in their response! I hate creepy crawlies and even more so when I am sharing a room with the escaped ones - yuk.  Not again for sure.  I already have a good stash of yellow sticky traps and I shall not be messing about this year. First sign of trouble and the nematodes are in there.  I am concerned because I don't want to be buying them in the compost before I have even opened the bag dammit.  

I have looked about for the Tropic Bat Mix but none in growshops near me in Hampshire nor in Wales.  I want to hit the ground running as soon as I get home so need some decent dry compost that's been stored indoors. I just want to go to a shop and buy something good for cash. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Alys said:

I am concerned because I don't want to be buying them in the compost before I have even opened the bag dammit. 

I had a nightmare with gnats using New Horizon Peat Free from a Bizarre & Quirky DIY shop. I'm pretty sure they came included in the price. I also stored some Sylvagrow in our kitchen and started noticing fungus gnats flying around. I put the bags in our garage during this winter and they seem to have gone. I don't know if Fungus Gnat Larve can overwinter or not. None of the plants currently growing using this compost are showing any worrying signs of gnats beyond the background usual amount I associate with growing in compost indoors. The fun season for gnats hasn't really got going yet.

Let the top couple of inches of compost dry out between watering, don't over water (this really encouages the little blighters), sticky traps to monitor the amount of gnats & yes Nemotodes if you need to.

I guess now I have moved my main grow into the house gnats might piss me off more this year.

• Like 1

Damn. After a bit research it seems Fungus Gnats can overwinter at temperatures of -25ºC.

I have not tried this, but, apparrently putting a small bowl of red wine with a few drops of washing up liquid in it near your plants will lure adult scarid flies to their doom. A couple of caveats, you have to have room for the bowl and you must not have drunk all the wine.

• Like 3

@Alys I believe the site sponsor stocks tropic. One tree horticultural or summit's. discount code oth10 or oth15 I think? Check on there section.

Good luck on your new grow. Did you grab an subbies or ot1 works recently?

Really rate the animal biscuits just finishing smoking this little load up now only 8th left,  the jars be dry rn. :(

large.61805c9ef2221_NikonAnimalBiscuitsW8(4)(Large).JPG

Edited by growinggold