Autopot aeration?

darksecrets999

So I’m growing using Canna Coco Professional Plus and using Canna CalMag and Coco A + B. I’ve just bought an autopot system. The question I have is how best to aerate my system. Should I use an airstone in the reservoir? An air curtain in the reservoir? Or an airdome in the bottom of the pot? Will using an airstone in the reservoir cause pH swings? I went to a hydro shop to purchase and the guy told me that Canna Coco A+B is pretty pH stable so I should be ok with an airstone in the reservoir but I don’t know if I should take this advice with a pinch of salt?

use a pump to mix the nutes, that will aerate the water more than enough. You'd be better off swerving the aeration idea completely beyond aforementioned, and getting one of those plant it watering timers so you can flood the trays for a set amount of time each day. It will pay you and your plants dividends compared to the gimmicks they sell like air domes. 

• Like 4

Just now, GSZZ said:

use a pump to mix the nutes, that will aerate the water more than enough. You'd be better off swerving the aeration idea completely beyond aforementioned, and getting one of those plant it watering timers so you can flood the trays for a set amount of time each day. It will pay you and your plants dividends compared to the gimmicks they sell like air domes. 

Would that system not run the risk of over feeding? So would an airstone definitely be a no no?

@darksecrets999 air stones just raise the pH and do little in the way of actually mixing anything, outside of a water culture system and brewing compost tea, they are of little use..

It wouldn't run the risk of over feeding at all, its a timed valve that will open up for X amount of time every Y hours/days that you can attach directly inline to your autopot system. Allowing your plants to sit in water all of the time is a recipe for disaster, with the timer you can let them sit for 1 hour, every 24 hours, for example. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, GSZZ said:

@darksecrets999 air stones just raise the pH and do little in the way of actually mixing anything, outside of a water culture system and brewing compost tea, they are of little use..

It wouldn't run the risk of over feeding at all, its a timed valve that will open up for X amount of time every Y hours/days that you can attach directly inline to your autopot system. Allowing your plants to sit in water all of the time is a recipe for disaster, with the timer you can let them sit for 1 hour, every 24 hours, for example. 

But I’m assuming with this system you’ve got to work out exactly how much water your plants take up per hour? I’m just trying to automate my grow a bit as I work a lot of hours so I can only tend to my plants early on the morning or late in the evening

@darksecrets999

No of course not? What aren't you getting here mate? Without the timer your plants will be sat in water all of the time, which is considerably more than an hour or two per day. Do you not intend to look at them at all? Because if they need more solution it would be a case of visual observation and adjust the timer to suit.. If your plants are sat in water all of the time, they don't have access to oxygen whatsoever. A dry back allows for the coir to draw oxygen. 

You should also hand water plain water to run off once per week. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, GSZZ said:

@darksecrets999

No of course not? What aren't you getting here mate? Without the timer your plants will be sat in water all of the time, which is considerably more than an hour or two per day. Do you not intend to look at them at all? Because if they need more solution it would be a case of visual observation and adjust the timer to suit.. If your plants are sat in water all of the time, they don't have access to oxygen whatsoever. A dry back allows for the coir to draw oxygen. 

You should also hand water plain water to run off once per week. 

Yes, I think I’ve finally understood you. What you’re saying is to create a flood and drain system with this timer? I didn’t realise this timer had a pump that allowed the water to flow back into the nutrient reservoir. Thank you for this

@darksecrets999 

It is a timer, that is built into a valve that you attach to your autopot system to the pipe, inline, from the tank. When the valve opens, during the times you have set on the timer built into the valve, the autopot system works like it normally would for the amount of time you have set to allow water through the valve, using the timer that is attached to it. It only allows water to flow in one direction, as it would otherwise on an autopot system without the timer. 

It does not have a pump, it does not pump water back to the tank. I didn't mention any of that, so I am unsure why you think that? I can't explain it any simpler than I have, I feel like this is a wind up lol 

E2A  The pump I mentioned previously, was to sit inside of your tank and mix nutrients and aerate the water. Nothing to do with the valve/timer - maybe google what I am talking about, so you can see it and then you might be able to visualise what I am talking about. 

Edited by GSZZ
  • Like 2

Just now, darksecrets999 said:

Yes, I think I’ve finally understood you. What you’re saying is to create a flood and drain system with this timer? I didn’t realise this timer had a pump that allowed the water to flow back into the nutrient reservoir. Thank you for this

Oh no that isn’t what you meant. You mean allow the system to run for an hour for example and then let it sit dry for 6 hours and then let it run for an hour again allowing for it to draw oxygen each time?

Is there a topic on here about the advantages of a flood and drain system vs drain to waste etc?

• Like 1

Just now, GSZZ said:

@darksecrets999 

It is a timer, that is built into a valve that you attach to your autopot system to the pipe, inline, from the tank. When the valve opens, during the times you have set on the timer built into the valve, the autopot system works like it normally would for the amount of time you have set to allow water through the valve, using the timer that is attached to it. It only allows water to flow in one direction, as it would otherwise on an autopot system without the timer. 

It does not have a pump, it does not pump water back to the tank. I didn't mention any of that, so I am unsure why you think that? I can't explain it any simpler than I have, I feel like this is a wind up lol 

Apologies, I think it’s been a long day. See my second response above. I think I’ve finally got it

Just now, darksecrets999 said:

Oh no that isn’t what you meant. You mean allow the system to run for an hour for example and then let it sit dry for 6 hours and then let it run for an hour again allowing for it to draw oxygen each time?

Is there a topic on here about the advantages of a flood and drain system vs drain to waste etc?

yes you've got it mate! lol Exactly that!

The system you want to use does not expel waste from the root zone because the water only flows in one direction, a drain to waste system allows for fresh solution to wash through the pots each time which washes away waste from the root zone, like salts and root excretions.

Just now, GSZZ said:

yes you've got it mate! lol Exactly that!

The system you want to use does not expel waste from the root zone because the water only flows in one direction, a drain to waste system allows for fresh solution to wash through the pots each time which washes away waste from the root zone, like salts and root excretions.

Hmm yeah I think I’ll get this timer and run it and see how it goes. I’m running a hand watered Dr Grinspoon and I’m going to veg 2 clones in autopots too for a couple of weeks before flipping them. I’m definitely a massive fan of automation

@GSZZ - Sorry to jump onto this but I'm just about to move to AutoPot as well. I'm confused about the timer, I can see your logic but they specifically state that it is ok for the plants to sit in the nute solution 24/7. Have you had issues before without a timer?

I run Autopot’s with Clover MPC and canna nutes… I use the timer. Makes sense to me that roots sitting in water are going to rot. 

The timer’s a piece of piss to use and costs about £20. 

On 18/03/2022 at 7:09 PM, bishbashbotany said:

I run Autopot’s with Clover MPC and canna nutes… I use the timer. Makes sense to me that roots sitting in water are going to rot. 

The timer’s a piece of piss to use and costs about £20. 

@GSZZ So I’ve bought the timer. Unfortunately it won’t connect to the 7mm tubing that Autopot supply. So I’ve ordered a 13mm to

7mm reducer off eBay. What a faff haha. The things we do for our hobby…

• Like 1