Brontë heritage peat free compost experiments

BilgePump

@BilgePump thanks for the compost recommendation.

re your tests, the reliable low ph of peat is one of its biggest benefits for me (or would be, if i used it), since i live on chalk and my water / soil resides 7.5 to 8.2, so anything that reduces ph is welcome, and stuff which is alkali is NOT WELCOME. If i knew a compost had pH >7 i would avoid it on principle.

tbh, since its soil, it doesnt make much difference. Heat, light, drainage etc are still much more important for most plants; its only ericaceous plants where i really have to mess about, so i leave that to the wife.

• Like 1

@BilgePump i am lazy with my toms since yields are high enough.

They grow either in a greenhouse in soil pots with deep water hydroponic resevoir, or in a green house in growbags, or on a south facing wall in a courtyard with my own compost soil.

tbh yield and faff is highest in hydro, yield is excellent and faff is minimal in grow bags (sideways supported), and yield smallest (but still good) and faffiest - bugs, neut probs etc outdoors.

pH unknown all of them, lol. fuck me, they are tommies.  the only real problem, ever, with tommies, is watering the bastards.

• Like 1

I hear that bro , nothing like dedicating months of diligence for a fivers worth of matoes! 

:yinyang:

• Like 1

@ratdog I think it's got a fair amount of fine grade Coco in it tbh , yes I took a pic last night when I was pissing around with slurry , I'll go hide behind the landscape bark and upload it 

ATB BilgePump

• Like 2

Not the best picture given the lighting but you get the idea , I'll do some natural light pics when I can (probably just bring a bit to work to photograph , it'll be easier) 

large.623474073bc8a_DSC_02632.JPG

ATB BilgePump

• Like 2

nice mate, very nice, will see if i can snag a bag or two for the garden to test out :)

e22a, no i won't lol , doesn't look like it's been widely released yet!  

Edited by ratdog
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Lux_Interior said:

I might order some Dalefoot Peat free tomorrow there can not be wood in a wool compost an there?

No wood but it is still a bit chunky, i definitely wouldn't be starting seeds in it, tbf I bought some of their seedling compost and even that could do with a bit of a riddle, especially for things like chillies (fuck they're hard to get going aren't they!) 

Edited by MindSoup
  • Like 2

@MindSoup once you get the knack of it chillies are actually well easy , bottom heat is the key , they pop best if kept around 25°c , I don't bother soaking in chamomile or anything else folk swear by.

Just heat , heat and time :yep: but kill it as soon as they pop or they'll be leggy as fook.

This works for all capsicum vars , I get great germination on super hots doing this (usually less than a week)

ATB BilgePump

• Like 4

@BilgePump Yeah to be fair I do get good rates with some bottom heat etc (apart from with my Kashmiris for some reason), but in my eyes that makes them hard to germ lol I'm  not one for having to baby things along, give me runner beans all day long.  They also seem very prone to stunting at a young age, they need nice warm feet until they're mature. I often tell people wandering about getting into growing cannabis that if they can do well starting chilli's from seed, then cannabis should be well within their abilities.

• Like 2

@MindSoup that's a pretty good rule of thumb that! 

I got the chilli growing bug around the age of 13 , 25 years later I'm still insisting on growing stuff that's barely even edible :dev:

I remember the first time I tried a red Savina on holiday in the Caribbean , almost killed me ded , the rest is history.

• Like 2

I've done a few of the super hots over the years. I remember a naga I had never fully ripened and all the chillis where still green, stupidly I thought that would mean they wouldn't be that hot and just did my usuall heat test of biting one in half lol,  fuck me man it was a full on psychedelic experience! I can totally see how people get a bit addicted to that feeling. Weirdly ever since I had covid I seem to be quite desensitized to the heat, so now I only realise if something was over spiced the next morning when its on its way out lol

Edited by MindSoup
  • Like 1

Why is spicy the only flavour yer arsehole can taste? 

It's never like "ooo doughnuts" 

• Like 1