Peat moss should it be mixed?

frank0420

Hi everyone hope your all good, I have read a few dairy's and the Clover multi purpose compost (100% Irish peat moss) is good stuff for growing autos and I have also read a popular growier from the US states he mixes his peat moss with equal parts of a good-quality potting soil or garden soil that does not contain any fertilizers and some pearlite. I was also surprised to read he prepare the peat moss by "Spreading the peat moss out to cover the bottom of large area pan to increase the surface area, and leave it outside for a few weeks. This will allow the peat moss to soften and become more absorbent, as well as allow it to grow important micronutrients."

Sounds like a lot of work for growing in peat moss to me or is just using some pearlite with bio bizz grow n bloom the way to go.

Cheers for any advice.

Plenty of people getting great results with plain clover and a+b nutes mate, no need to fet carried away.

E2A raw peat moss is a different kettle of fish all together though, and does require some processing and and additives, mainly to bring the PH into check.

Edited by MindSoup
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, MindSoup said:

Plenty of people getting great results with plain clover and a+b nutes mate, no need to fet carried away.

E2A raw peat moss is a different kettle of fish all together though, and does require some processing and and additives, mainly to bring the PH into check.

@MindSoup thanks for the excellent advice.

I have used Sphagnum Moss to aid in water retention in compost substrates but never in the kind of quantities you are mentioning. Its good for lining hanging baskets though.

I'm also trying to go peat free too.

• Like 1