Waterproofing Medusa RTW trays

sweettooth

Always used the IWS autodrain trays, never had an issue with drips or slow leaks. Having major drips and leaks with the medusa trays and fittings. I Can't fit 3 rows of the iws trays in my 1.5 x 3m tent as they are 47cm x 52cm and I can't trim off that much and having draining issues with the lower medusa trays I have purchased so looking to replace the entire system with 15 of the higher base booster trays but need a way of sealing the fittings proper.

Anyone have any recommendations? Small bit of silicon sealer on the rubber washers or something else? I really want to use my auto feed drippers but need no drips before I do. What do you other medusa system users do to get it water tight?

Edited by sweettooth

You should be able to seal it with just the rubber washers mate, it's not under any sort of pressure so it should be fine, make sure they are sat nice and tighten up the plastic nuts  

@cannaboy_420 I do have the iws spanners but may need to find something else as they start to slip as they get tighter, regular large spanner or specific tool?

I used a pair of grips or adjustable spanner to do mine but I am a plumber so had them any way, don't go over board with the tightening mind its only to drain waste remember, just make sure its all sat correctly 

• Like 3

What cannaboy said X1000. I actually only learned about that around 5 years ago and I was astonished that nobody had ever said. It was my car mechanic that was explaining what he was doing boiling a kettle before putting some tubing into my can (think it was just widescreen washer but the tip stuck and it makes a huge difference. 

• Like 3

22 hours ago, cannaboy_420 said:

Hot water too to make the pipework easier to mould onto the fitting aswel 

always do this. the leak always seems to come from the plastic fitting, ill have to find a different spanner fitting so I can tighten them proper. I know the question may seem dim to some, it is obvious but didn't know if it were better to put some plumbing tape around the thread?

Just get the rubbers sitting correct and tighten up nice but don't over tighten as its only plastic, use a adjustable spanner mate, I can't see any reason why they would leak if they are installed correct 

• Like 1

@sweettooth

I've had the same issues in the past, leaks coming from the gromet around the washers.  You could upgrade to the pro fittings and pipe. I find them much better, the washers are much wider and less prone to leaks. 

Somebody needs to make a run to waste tray with a push fit connector on it that aren't prone to leaking

• Like 1

How about greasing both sides of the washer when fitting  to repel the water, as it isn't under pressure. Wipe any that squelches out from the edge.

Edited by catweazle1

3 hours ago, murran said:

@sweettooth

I've had the same issues in the past, leaks coming from the gromet around the washers.  You could upgrade to the pro fittings and pipe. I find them much better, the washers are much wider and less prone to leaks. 

Somebody needs to make a run to waste tray with a push fit connector on it that aren't prone to leaking

you mean the iws pro fittings?

@murran I have some spare iws parts from my iws trays, I'll see how they fit and may go that route with the booster trays. cheers

• Like 1