Favourite Quotes

chilled artist

there are two kinds of people in life elmoor .smart and pleasant ,i used to be smart ,i recommend pleasant -james stewart harvey ,

never ever bloody anything ever .ive lived my life by that rule -rik mayall ,mr jolly lives next door .

never let it be said that your anal attention to detail didnt pay results -loki ,dogma .

• Like 1

“You can tell a lot about a country which refers to the Royal Mint and the National Debt.” 

William Cobbett

Cheers :smokin:

• Like 5

Rather pertinent given the rising trend in banning books (particularly in the USA)

“The books that the world calls immoral are books that show the world its own shame.”  Oscar Wilde

• Like 4

Maybe a cliche but there’s something beautiful in the prose

"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die."

-Roy Batty, 'Blade Runner

• Like 5

...first you must learn how to smile as you kill · If you want to be like the folks on the hill!

John Lennon - Working Class Hero

Please don't confront me with my failures,

I had not forgotten them.

Jackson Browne - These Days

• Like 1

I've said it before but one of my favourite pieces of prose, and certainly my favourite opening paragraph, has to be from Shirley Jackson's majestic The Haunting of Hill House (for my money the best 'haunted house' story ever written). Gives me goosebumps every time I read it :notworthy:

“No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality; even larks and katydids are supposed, by some, to dream. Hill House, not sane, stood by itself against its hills, holding darkness within; it had stood for eighty years and might stand for eighty more. Within, walls continued upright, bricks met neatly, floors were firm, and doors were sensibly shut; silence lay steadily against the wood and stone of Hill House, and whatever walked there, walked alone.”

E2A Some schools in America have banned her brilliantly dark short story The Lottery :sadwalk:

Edited by Boojum
  • Like 2

In a time of universal deceit telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act - George Orwell (Mis-attributed)

• Like 1

On 02/03/2022 at 6:24 PM, woody2shoes said:

Fight wars not war - Crass, probably Penny Rimbaud but it was years ago and it's not easy to find out.

Think its Fight war not wars  :yep: Atb, Destroy power not people:yinyang:

Edited by Personunknown
  • Like 1

Daubed on a wall I went past once:

Life is like a shit butty

The less bread you got, the more shit you got to eat

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Personunknown said:
On 02/03/2022 at 6:24 PM, woody2shoes said:

Fight wars not war - Crass, probably Penny Rimbaud but it was years ago and it's not easy to find out.

Think its Fight war not wars  :yep: Atb, Destroy power not people:yinyang:

Edited 15 hours ago by Personunknown

It was a typo, I'm cringing now I've looked at it again.

@Boojum picked up on it too. I'm sorry.

'Shaved Women, collaborators' 

Penny Rimbaud's book 'Shibboleth' is an interesting read.

'Fighting for peace is like fucking for virginity' source unknown, scrawled on my teenage bedroom wall by an old mate, now missing presumed dead.

• Like 2

"You fall off that wall and break your leg, don't come running to me" - Every welsh mother.

Cheers :smokin:

• Like 7