Favourite Quotes

chilled artist

15 minutes ago, Cambium said:

But why?

People know better than to ask me stuff like that now :) after I harangued one poor student for twenty minutes on the related 'When am I ever going to use this?"

From the same guy:

“If people do not believe that mathematics is simple, it is only because they do not realize how complicated life is.”

We are used to thinking of simple and easy as near-synonymous, but it turns out we don't find the simple at all easy, and what we find easy is far from simple.

and in case I forget

Why are you dodging like this? They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance.

John Sedgwick

• Like 3

A man who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Oscar Wilde.

Originally the definition of a cynic (from the play Lady Widermere's Fan), I'd say that it now describes the political system, advertising, marketing and in a wider sense the capitalist society in which we live.

E2A Though having said that I doubt Boris and his Eton chums know the price of anything like bread, or rent, or heating or normal shit like that either, cos they've never had to worry about paying for them. He probably knows the price of a crate of Bollinger, caviar and charlie lol

Edited by Boojum
  • Like 1

“That’s great. Tell him he’s Pele and get him back on.”

John Lambie after being told that striker Colin McGlashan was concussed and didn’t know who he was in 1993.

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

A couple of quotes by John Muir...

"This grand show is eternal. It is always sunrise somewhere; the dew is never all dried at once; a shower is forever falling; vapor is ever rising. Eternal sunrise, eternal sunset, eternal dawn and gloaming, on sea and continents and islands, each in its turn, as the round earth rolls."

"On no subject are our ideas more warped and pitiable than on death. ... Let children walk with nature, let them see the beautiful blendings and communions of death and life, their joyous inseparable unity, as taught in woods and meadows, plains and mountains and streams of our blessed star, and they will learn that death is stingless indeed, and as beautiful as life, and that the grave has no victory, for it never fights."

"The world, we are told, was made especially for man — a presumption not supported by all the facts."

"I only went out for a walk and finally concluded to stay out till sundown, for going out, I found, was really going in."

John Muir (April 21, 1838 – December 24, 1914), also known as "John of the Mountains" and "Father of the National Parks", was an influential Scottish-American naturalist, author, environmental philosopher, botanist, zoologist, glaciologist, and early advocate for the preservation of wilderness in the United States of America.

• Like 5

@Arbre Medicinal John Muir was a bit of a dippy cunt though ey. The whole concept of wilderness is a toxic one and he is the grandfather. The "wilderness" that so captivated Muir, was no such thing, it was an almost entirely managed landscape influenced by humans. The same is true in Scotland where JMT and NS promote the idea of wide open vistas and wilderness in deforested, denuded, evicted landscapes at the behest of their donators and members, desperate to escape the concrete jungle every weekend. They tie up areas desperate for repopulation, ecological and economic restoration, in restrictive legislation based upon their fucking pathetic "wild land" mapping exercise.

Quite frankly, fuck John Muir and the JMT.

Edited by Cambium
  • Like 1

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable.

• Like 3

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt

• Like 3

“You didn't come into this world. You came out of it, like a wave from the ocean. You are not a stranger here.”

Alan Watts

• Like 3

just hear this one by charles darwin

"if the misery of the poor be caused not by nature, but by our institutions, great is our sin."

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Cambium said:

@Arbre Medicinal John Muir was a bit of a dippy cunt though ey. The whole concept of wilderness is a toxic one and he is the grandfather. The "wilderness" that so captivated Muir, was no such thing, it was an almost entirely managed landscape influenced by humans. The same is true in Scotland where JMT and NS promote the idea of wide open vistas and wilderness in deforested, denuded, evicted landscapes at the behest of their donators and members, desperate to escape the concrete jungle every weekend. They tie up areas desperate for repopulation, ecological and economic restoration, in restrictive legislation based upon their fucking pathetic "wild land" mapping exercise.

Quite frankly, fuck John Muir and the JMT.

The title of the thread is "favourite quotes" dude, I believe you're slightly off topic there. Perhaps you could start a thread denouncing Mr. Muir, National Trust Scotland and The John Muir Trust yourself but personally I like his quotes, so I'll happily post them here in the "favourite quotes" thread.  :hippy:

@Arbre Medicinal cant dispute that. For personal reasons John Muir is just a bit tainted from my perspective. He undoubtedly wrote some great words, but some of the less great words have echoed into the future and have/are being misused to the detriment of the humans he so loved to exclude.

It was a bit knee jerk from me, but not without very personal reasons.

Edited by Cambium
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Cambium said:

@Arbre Medicinal cant dispute that. For personal reasons John Muir is just a bit tainted from my perspective. He undoubtedly wrote some great words, but some of the less great words have echoed into the future and have/are being misused to the detriment of the humans he so loved to exclude.

It was a bit knee jerk from me, but not without very personal reasons.

That's cool and I know Mr. Muir has a sketchy past. However I have my own personal reasons for liking his quotes, they remind me of one of the happiest times of my life, when I lived and worked on a little island in the Bristol Channel. I even earned a 'John Muir Gold Conserver Award' while I was there. Not long after, I became disillusioned with a lot of the conservation movement, but that's another story...:hippy:

Edited by Arbre Medicinal

• 2 weeks later...

"Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe."

“Definition of rock journalism: People who can't write, doing interviews with people who can't think, in order to prepare articles for people who can't read.”

“A drug is not bad. A drug is a chemical compound. The problem comes in when people who take drugs treat them like a license to behave like an asshole.”

“My best advice to anyone who wants to raise a happy, mentally healthy child is: Keep him or her as far away from a church as you can.”

Frank Zappa;

“The right of the labour movement, to be honest, has no ideas of any compelling quality, except the instinct for short-term political survival. It would not know an ideological struggle if it stumbled across one in the dark. The only ‘struggle’ it engages in with any trace of conviction is the one against the left.”

Sturt Hall.

“I'll try anything once, twice if I like it, three times to make sure.”

Mae West.

Cheers :smokin:

• Like 2