Sativas and Indicas

Chris78

@Exhale

We were there in 1990 and the weed was beyond fantastic. Thai weed was quite rare as it happened. Most of it coming from over the border. Laos and Cambodia mainly. We reckoned the only time we got Thai weed was in Bangkok and we made the fatal mistake of blowing a big joint before leaving our hotel for the train South:ouch:. Man that was strong. When we got to Samui I made a big joint for 4 of us. All of us got wiped on one joint. Happy days indeed

Re the India bit. That Charas was made in Kerela in the 1980's? We did buy Ganja in India. In Varanasi as it goes in a Government shop.. The guy said it was from Kerela. He said Kerela didn't make Hashish as it was mainly grown and rubbed in The Himalaya

India has very strange laws regarding Cannabis. A Sadhu once told me that to possess Ganja was OK but Hash was an issue for them although being Sadhu's they were rarely in trouble for possessing either. ANY Cannabis of ANY sort found in our possession would involve in an extended stay or an empty bank account.

The Urban legend thing?? Maybe be true. Racy THC from the Sat, Mellow CBD from the Indy?? Funnily enough, if I ever get that Racy/Paranoid hit from green, then I have a beer :D

• Like 1

Just now, Larry Badgeley said:

if I ever get that Racy/Paranoid hit from green, then I have a beer

Yeah mate same here pretty much, I've learned to mellow out through distraction the guitar is great for that - it's the same with Ecstacy and Mushrooms you have to keep yourself on an even keel or good spirits anything negative can really affect your experience during the high/trip.

Some of the raciest stuff I've scored was in Laos, the jungle is mad there and you really have to sort your anxiety out, the second week we were there someone killed themselves on acid we could hear the wailing on the other side of the park it was extremely unsettling!

@Exhale

One New Years Eve probably 1990, On Haad Rin Beach on Koh Phan Gan, before Full Moon Parties were commercial or possibly happening, we dropped half a Mushroom Omelette. Nothing happened for a while so we ate the other half. BAD IDEA !! We were tripping so hard we escaped to a quiet bar and necked beer after beer to come down. It was the first time I had tripped for at least 10 years. After the rush it was a great night. Walking back to our hut along the beach with only the light of the moon to navigate was surreal. I recall the Phosphorous in the sea was amazing. Happy days indeed. The Mama who owned the Bungalow's sold bags of Ganja for 100 bhat a large bag. About £2. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I've spent a LOT of time over the past year or so obsessing over and investigating "Landrace" cannabis, as it were.  I'm still pretty convinced I don't know much more than enough to know I don't know much. 

But I've picked up on the following, and I think I'm understanding and processing it correctly.  Apologies if I'm inaccurate. 

Common term: "Indica"

Alternate term: Broad Leaf Drug

Scientific: Cannabis Indica Subspecies Afghanica

Common term: "Sativa"

Alternate term: Narrow Leaf Drug

Scientific: Cannabis Indica Subspecies Indica

As I understand it, anything that is *scientifically* Cannabis Sativa is essentially a hemp plant, as was stated. 

In my year-long obsession with "Landrace" seed sources, and which of those strike me as truly genuine ( or as close as I can get to truly genuine in present time, with hybridization being what it is) I've come across a LOT of descriptions of "characteristics to expect" from particular varieties.  One thing that is recurring is that a good portion of these "landraces" may well exhibit NLD and BLD phenotypes. This seems most common in varieties sourced in India, for some reason.  Perhaps due to it's proximity to Afghanistan?  My assumption is that that characteristic is something that goes back historically to whatever trade route yadda yadda may have been in proximity to the source location in eons past.  It's very conceivable to conceptualize that a true, old world, unadulterated NLD plant from, say, what is now Afghanistan area made its way into India area and hybridized. Then that was worked by the local Indian population for a couple hundred years and inbred in large, open pollenated fields. You could still end up with a "landrace" that exhibited different phenotypes based on it's genetic inputs from several hundred years prior.  That's all theoretical timeline stuff, but I think I'm expressing my general point well enough. 

I think it's relatively safe to make some basic level assumptions about potential effects from a plant that's come from a particular geographic area, though.  Climate has a great deal to do with it, from what I've gleaned.  Plants that are BLD, traced back to Afghanistan and surrounding areas don't have what it takes to live in climates that are subtropical, for instance.  Humans ( or even seeds from sources like migratory avian creatures) likely didn't have much luck growing a squatty, dense BLD plant, if it ever even made the journey in eons past, in subtropical climates.  I would think ( read that as assume) that NLD and BLD phenotypes are much less common in areas like equatorial Africa, for example. This sorta ties in, to me anyhow, the idea that plants from places like Equatorial Africa, Central America and South-SE Asia have racy effects.  They're most likely plants we would classify as "NLD" due to the climate they have to exist in.  That, combined with their percieved/known/assumed general effects has to have some degree of credibility, or it wouldn't be a commonly assumed thing.  The assumption of "indica" vs "sativa" effect has been around since before the internet ruined everything and spread speculation as known fact. 

I guess I conceptualize it as hybridization, in general.  Or a combination of evolution and hybridization.  I guess which term you choose depends on the timeline you're referencing.  hundreds/thousands of years vs tens of thousands of years etc. 

But again, I'm just piecing together info I've collected and mentally sorted through.  It's plausible, and potentially even probable, that I'm just assuming a bunch of shit and making connections that aren't there, scientifically. 

Edited by Cajafiesta

I honestly dont see a problem with the term  sativa or indica to describe a certain regions cannabis plants Yes it may be factually incorrect but everyone knows the difference.

Some folk now get funny over the word LANDRACE being the wrong word to describe a regions cannabis because it actually means a wild population and not a domesticated variety refined by man ... 

• Like 2

@Dr feelgood Yeah I'm with you on that, I'm a gardner not a botanist, it might not be factually correct but its become a colloquial term that more people actually understand than the official terminology. I see it as a bit like using the common names for plants instead of latin ones or something. 

• Like 1