Sativas and Indicas

Chris78

I have been doing a bit of reading about sativas and indicas recently and noted that the consensus seems to be the ideas that sats give energetic up highs and inds couch lock type stones, is seen as something of a myth.   Now Im happy to accept that to an extent,  if the science says they arent two different species then there arent.   However some of the pieces I read sort of made out the old classifications were irrelevant, is that right?  I mean varieties we think of as sat, certainly have diffenent growth structure and flowering time?  What are we saying, yes diffenent plants grow differently but forget calling them sats and indys?   Is it just the names and the idea that they are different species we are ditching.     

I suppose I could sum up all that ramble with one question?   Does the community still accept the idea that the longer flowering taller forms produce a more energetic high and the squater shorter flowering forms, or more couch lock effect?

I think the preferred term amongst people who care is now narrow leaf dominant or wide leaf dominant, and in my experience there is definitely some distinguishable difference between the 2. Pure sativas/indicas (or whatever you want to refer to them as) aren't all that common, with moat strains being some sort of hybrid, so its not as obvious with a lot of the popular strains. If you grew a south african Sativa/narrow leaf land race, next to a pure afghan/Indica/wide leaf I imagine it would be quite easy to see/smell/taste/feel the difference. 

E2A harvest time can also make quite a profound difference on the effects of a plant. Say you chop one clone early (mostly clear trichs) and then its sister very late (mostly amber). You will likely find the earlier to be racier/more energetic and the later more sedative/relaxing..

Edited by MindSoup
  • Like 5

Thanks!     I wonder if there are  exceptions, so not a hybrid but a landrace with long flowering narrow leaves, with a real couch lock effect, or a short flowering wide leaved landrace with a soaring high?

Anything is possible, maybe not landraces, but with all the breeding going on there's bound to be some racy/trippy wide leafs and vice versa. 

Edited by MindSoup
  • Like 1

Interestingly I have 4 Ace Seeds Nepal Jam x Kali China in veg. Sat/Indica Hybrid 60/40 (I think) 2 are showing classic Sativa narrow leaves whilst 2 are showing broad Indica leaves. It will be interesting to see how these grow out and how the stretch goes in flower. The proof will be in the smoking and effects

• Like 6

As you can see. These 4 Ace seeds are from the same pack. The back 2 are showing the classic fat leaf of the Indica and the front 2 showing Sativa. Ironically, and I don't know if this is typical of Sativa varieties, they were germinated a week after the other two but have grown much faster than their sisters

large.IMG_1227.JPG

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Chris78 said:

What are we saying, yes diffenent plants grow differently but forget calling them sats and indys?

Always preferred the NLD, BLD, NLH, BLH classification myself.

Broad-Leaf Drug Producing (BLD) (a Cannabis indica, psychoactive, broad leaves)
Narrow-Leaf Drug Producing (NLD) (a Cannabis indica, psychoactive, narrow leaves)

Broad-Leaf Hemp Producing (BLH) (a Cannabis indica, non-psychoactive, broad leaves)
Narrow-Leaf Hemp Producing (NLH) (a Cannabis sativa, non-psychoactive, narrow leaves)

• Like 2

@Exhale

I see thanks Ex. I understand that.

So are we saying Broad Leaf = Indica and Narrow Leaf = Sativa or not? Would this not be case if the plants were pure Landrace rather than Hybrids?

• Like 1

@Larry Badgeley Clarke and Merlin wrote in Cannabis: Evolution and Ethnobotany that every resin producing Cannabis strain is derived from Cannabis Indica.

Indica is the classical Greek and Latin word for India, the region of Earth where resin-heavy, psychotropic cannabis originated from. “Sativa” simply means “cultivated.” Today’s Cannabis sativa is a species of cannabis grown for hemp fiber and hemp seeds across parts of Europe and North America.

The highs between the two can be misleading which led down the path we're accustomed to but in reality you can have lanky plants that will hit like a shorty it all depends on what compounds are present - varying amounts of terpenes, flavonoids and cannabinoids like THC, CBD, and CBN, combine to create what is now known as the entourage effect.

• Like 6

@Exhale Thanks for that. :yep: 

I have been to The Kulu Valley in North India. The Hash, as you would imagine, was fantastic. Hand rubbed Charas from Malana and the Parvati Valley. As you explain this is why the term Indica is relevant to the region as I assume all of the landrace plants are Indicas?

I also spent a lot of time in South East Asia. Cannabis was always Ganja and super strong and uplifting, never once bought Hash made from the plants from Cambodia, Laos, or Thailand. 

Is it possible to make Hash from Sativa landraces or is it just an Indica thing to make Hash from?

Having said that Lebanese and Moroccan Hashes are from Sativas, just a different way of extracting the resin glands are they not?

Interesting debate none the less?

• Like 1

@Larry Badgeley I spent time on the SE Peninsula ended up there 95-96 before coming back to the UK after working in Eastern Europe a few years, didn't have much luck in Cambodia but Laos and Thailand were a blast.

I've seen it recommended online if you get a "racey" plant then hashing it will mellow it but that could be another Urban Legend?

Another preparation is caras (charas), made by carefully rubbing mature, female buds with the palms of the hands to extract the psychoactive resin. This technique is used in some areas of the Indian and Nepalese Himalayas, and since the 1980s in a minor way in other cannabis producing countries, including Jamaica, Mexico, Colombia and Bolivia; and in Africa, in Senegal, Durban, Transkei, Lesotho and Swaziland, but it is rarely exported. During the 1980s high-quality caras was also made in the Indian state of Kerala.

There's some good reading here: https://www.seedsman.com/blog/making-hashish-history-and-production/

• Like 1