DIY Inline Carbon Filter

MindSoup

Hello chums 

I have a tiny tent, so every inch of headroom counts, but inline filters cost a fair whack and I'm a skin flint. So I nicked this idea of @latigid aikon for a DIY version. Costs about a tenner for everything needed, but if you're like me you'll probably have most of it already.  

First grab a suitable sized airtight ish container to house the CF and make sure its light proof. I only have a diddy filter so this 10L bucket was plenty big enough.

large.PXL_20220215_180604398_compress49.jpg

Then add an intake flange at the bottom of the bucket, a bigger diameter than you air filter would be best, but this is what I had kicking about so made it work. 

large.PXL_20220215_180656757_compress97.jpg

Cut a hole through the lid and use a duct joiner to bridge the gap between the filter and the fan. 

large.PXL_20220215_183850507_compress57.jpg

Close it all up, jobs a gooden. Extra 150mm of headroom (over 10% of my entire tents height).

large.PXL_20220215_183940014_compress34.jpg

It would probably be best to use some silicone/sealant on the joints but again, I used Gorilla tape because its what I had. 

Hope someone out there finds this one day and saves themselves a bit of money. 

Edited by MindSoup
  • Like 22

Nicely done.

As long as it's airtight between the filter and fan nothing else matters because it's all under negative pressure.

• Like 1

@latigid aikon Thanks for the inspiration mate, the tent is getting pretty crowded this run so every extra inch of headroom is a bonus. As you say as long as the main seal is good everything should be sweet. 

• Like 2

Mmmmmmm. So I could NOT buy the £230 CarboAir inline filter, and buy the CarboAir 60 instead, saving 80 squids. Then spend 10 squids or so on a bucket and some bits. And it'll be just like I bought the inline filter? Possibly with a deeper carbon bed, as there's no info on the CarboAir site on bed depth for the inline filters. 

Interesting stuff GrowMaster @MindSoup :yep: interesting stuff 

• Like 2

You smooth-talker, you lol 

I was possibly going to be extracting from the bottom, and I'm trying to fit as much tent as possible in the room lol so I'll have to see what size bucket I'll need and if it'll fit. Damn good idea 

• Like 1

Yeah it's not the most compact of things. I did consider some solid ducting or waste pipe with an end cap to replace the bucket lid for a sleeker design, but it would have cost a bit more and the bucket was free. Could be an idea for your situation though. 

• Like 1

Yeah solid ducting with the right fittings and flanges would be nice. I reckon I could make it real pretty for about 80 squids  lol 

• Like 1

I don't think the filter needs much space around it so if you can find the right size bucket or solid ducting or whatever to match your filter closely you could make something very compact. I didn't bother because mine lives in the loft with no space restrictions.

I'd like to see how the Carboair inline filter is constructed, i.e. how much clearance it has around the filter inside the casing, it probably doesn't need to be more than a few mm.

• Like 1

@latigid aikon I had to go double check, because it does irk me - there's no mention of bed thickness on the GAS website for the inline filters but very specific about the 60s, 50s, etc. Maybe it isn't (as) important in an inline filter?

• Like 1

@Gaijin That is weird, you'd think they'd give the same info for all their filters. The bed depth is equally as important on any (cylindrical!) filter IMO, it makes no difference if it's encased or not.

• Like 1