A friend with no experience

CuriousGreenHand

Hi all it’s been awhile since I was last active on here, work life changes and all that. 

I have a friend who wants to grow although he has no experience and works away, so suggesting to learn on soil/coco before running an automatic system is pointless, obviously due to work life. 

so what would you suggest peeps ? 

substrate 

my first thoughts was a coco perlite pebble mix, coco 60/perlite 20/ pebbles 20 (although the 20% will be the bottom base layer for drainage more than anything. 

seeds

i was thinking of dinafem as they always seem to produce good quality, critical+ was my first thought but any recommendations of a forgiving strain by them are welcomed

system

he said he’ll probably have a foot print 1m x 2m x 2m

i suggested 2 lights for good spread 

I’ll recommend the brand canna (rhiz,pk13/14,etc) as they always did well by me….

but my knowledge of automatic systems are limited, if anyone can suggest a system that fits the set up I have suggested please let me know, also if you would suggest more changes to what I said by all means mention away I won’t be having any involvement really but wouldn’t want him to waste time or money.

he will likely only be home on weekends, so a forgiving system of think would be essential haha.

cheers all. 

• Like 3

Good luck finding dinafem seeds these days dude , they've had a bit of bother with the Spanish authorities and aren't currently trading iirc.

Perhaps look at seedstockers as a very suitable alternative , they are a site sponsor much like dinafem and even share the same rep on here.

Im sure @Seedstockers-Mark can help you find something suited to your mates needs.

Have a look at their gear in the seedstockers sub forum :yep:

:yinyang:

Edited by BilgePump
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, BilgePump said:

they are a site sponsor much like dinafem and even share the same rep on here

Maybe even the same seeds lol 

3 hours ago, CuriousGreenHand said:

he will likely only be home on weekends

And he's never grown. I think no matter what system he picks he's going to be in a bit of bother

Just being real

Owd

• Like 14

Just now, Owderb said:

Maybe even the same seeds lol 

This has crossed my mind on more than a few occasions , glad I'm not the only one...

Although as it stands I'm preferring seedstockers over dinafem based on what I've run previously (and currently with regards to seedstockers).

:yinyang:

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Owderb said:

@Herbal Kint

This guy has never grown before 

Owd

Yea i see but still better in  bed of compo then leaving any hydro system unattended for a week,sounds like a certain disaster.

Leaving Hps for a week,timers etc,without checkup sounds like a bad idea as well.

• Like 1

I’d be too worried to leave a setup going for a whole week without checks on daily basis wouldn’t be the plants health be worried about mainly electrics and safety concerns tbh 

• Like 1

I left my plants for 15 days while I went on holiday. I cut down their nutes, upped the fan, lowered the temps, had the light go on/off for 18 hours then off for 6. It went well, they were a bit leggy when I got back but really really well comparatively. But it was 15 days in the middle of a veg cycle and I returned to daily visits after, as before. 

Outdoor, maybe? Set a patch and leave it for the season. I can't see anyone using an automated system to completely leave their grow. People are normally monitoring the automation, as is the usual requirement for automatic systems. Not sure...

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Keye said:

left my plants for 15 days while I went on holiday. I cut down their nutes, upped the fan, lowered the temps, had the light go on/off for 18 hours then off for 6. It went well, they were a bit leggy when I got back but really really well comparatively. But it was 15 days in the middle of a veg cycle and I returned to daily visits after, as before.

But you knew what to do to sort your own personal situation out. This chap will know nothing so will not know what he needs to do. You need a couple of hands on grows to see what you are going to need and do about seeing them through

Owd

• Like 3

Yea, that's the comparison that I was trying to make. I can't really see how it would work. I didn't work for me in the sense that I was 'growing'; it was more a hiatus stall of proceedings, the plant wasn't 2 weeks further along when I returned. It set me 2 weeks maybe, but I didn't have to throw it all away. 

Edited by Keye
  • Like 1

Just get him to try doing it he might fail or win if he enjoys it then he won't stop ... ffs people on here are basically saying it's impossible to win when it's a plant