Oil Ticture+Piperine &Soxhlet --- additions to oil

Bad-Eend

HI

So I have a very simple and cheap distillation set from vevor to make some oil and tincture for med reasons

I recently started putting one drop of my oil to a CBD Capsule (which also cotains tumeric and black pepper/piperine) and tis really does the trick on the fibro

Now I came across a blast from the past....secondaryschool.... the soxhlet extractor

This would mean less alcoholto use (though according to the comments I have to look inro wintering whatever that is )

Now what I am wondering appart from that Video

1: Anyone uses one of these devices (Soxhlet)
2: Anyone here makes their own piperine (or other extract as addition) if so what do you use ?

3: How much piperine do you ad to the oil drop for drop

• Like 1

Soxhlet extraction extracts more, which includes the undesirables.  With a polar solvent like alcohol, those undesirables will be water solubles and polar elements like chlorophyll.  With a non-polar solvent like pentane, hexane, or heptane, they are plant lipids and waxes.

It works well as long as your plan includes steps to remove those elements later.

The best source for terpenes and terpenoids for addition that I've found is https://extractconsultants.com/.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Graywolf said:

Soxhlet extraction extracts more, which includes the undesirables.  With a polar solvent like alcohol, those undesirables will be water solubles and polar elements like chlorophyll.  With a non-polar solvent like pentane, hexane, or heptane, they are plant lipids and waxes.

It works well as long as your plan includes steps to remove those elements later.

The best source for terpenes and terpenoids for addition that I've found is https://extractconsultants.com/.

@GraywolfChlorophyl can be broken down by putting in sunlight , am i right? (Normal alcohol extraction includes these as well

No need to freeze for waxes?

I am extracting for tincture so work food grade ethanol based

Edited by Bad-Eend

13 hours ago, Bad-Eend said:

@GraywolfChlorophyl can be broken down by putting in sunlight , am i right? (Normal alcohol extraction includes these as well

No need to freeze for waxes?

I am extracting for tincture so work food grade ethanol based

UV deprotonates the chlorophyll and turns it into pheophytin, which is brown instead of green but is still there. 

• Like 2

On 11/02/2022 at 0:48 PM, Graywolf said:

UV deprotonates the chlorophyll and turns it into pheophytin, which is brown instead of green but is still there. 

while pheophytin is (biochemistry) a chlorophyll from which the central magnesium atom has been removed.

Still means very little

Is it worth removing from Oil/tincture...and IF how

On 2/13/2022 at 7:42 AM, Bad-Eend said:

while pheophytin is (biochemistry) a chlorophyll from which the central magnesium atom has been removed.

Still means very little

Is it worth removing from Oil/tincture...and IF how

Yes, deprotonating removes the magnesium responsible for the green color, but the balance of C-55 Chlorophyll remains behind as brown C-55 Pheophytin.

Concentrated chlorophyll gives some folks severe gastric upset if the oil is to be used orally.  https://medlineplus.gov/ency/article/002893.htm

Not an issue if used topically, though it stains, nor vaporizing, though it adds harshness.

We typically avoid extracting the polar chlorophyll or non-polar pheophytin in the first place, by extracting at subzero temperatures and limiting contact time.  

You can remove the chlorophyll using activated charcoal, though at the cost of some of the cannabinoids and you will need to filter to submicron levels to remove the carbon.  The wine industry uses Diotomaceous earth after the activated charcoal for that purpose.

You can also use column chromatography with bentonite clays to remove the larger molecules like C-40 carotene and C-55 chlorophyll/pheophytin.