Growing carrots and radishes to make compost

Phillybonker

Rather than hauling small amounts of vegetable waste to my grow area continously which will prove to be a pain in the ass, I got an idea about throwing down vegetable seeds in my grow spots, things like radishes and carrots.  Then when the vegetables are ready I'll chop off their tops to kill them and let the carrots and radishes feed the worm life which in turn will make compost.  In the mean time I'll mix in sheep pellets to draw in worm life and microbes while the carrots and radishes grow.

I figure vegetables and sheep pelllets would make better compost and decompose faster than my other idea of using leaves, grass and twigs to make compost.

Anyone see anything wrong with this plan?

Edited by Phillybonker
  • Like 1

i had a clay plot....so what i did.....30 meters away was a forrest....loads of composting stuff there....

in january top dresses some m2...with dried chicken manure..( 1 tea cup per 10 liter soil )..and before planting  i had enough good stuff to mix in with the clay...

if this is not possible...i would just bring bags of compost from the factory.

in my case...i can get it for free....so the only thing is tranport and labour...

nz is full of sheep.. :)  you have dried sheep pellelts ? ...whats the npk value of that ?....and i beleave there is 0 % calsium in it.. ? :( 

Edited by DutchFox
  • Like 1

hundreads of vids here in youtube about composting...

this is a simple one..

break down the waste as small as possible....then the process goed faster

Edited by DutchFox
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Phillybonker said:

Rather than hauling small amounts of vegetable waste to my grow area continously which will prove to be a pain in the ass, I got an idea about throwing down vegetable seeds in my grow spots, things like radishes and carrots.  Then when the vegetables are ready I'll chop off their tops to kill them and let the carrots and radishes feed the worm life which in turn will make compost.  In the mean time I'll mix in sheep pellets to draw in worm life and microbes while the carrots and radishes grow.

I figure vegetables and sheep pelllets would make better compost and decompose faster than my other idea of using leaves, grass and twigs to make compost.

Anyone see anything wrong with this plan?

if you have a real pour spot....you can try chemical vertilisers...like the slow release pellets ?.....if you can get them there..

• Like 1

Mix in something with a high available nitrogen/nitrate value to get the microbes numerous  as quickly as possible , so that they can quickly get to work on the compost material. You can buy compost accelerators, or maybe search the internet for free/cheaper suggestions

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DutchFox said:

i had a clay plot....so what i did.....30 meters away was a forrest....loads of composting stuff there....

in january top dresses some m2...with dried chicken manure..( 1 tea cup per 10 liter soil )..and before planting  i had enough good stuff to mix in with the clay...

Doesn't dried chicken manure have a high salt content and one has to be careful not to add too much?

nz is full of sheep.. :)  you have dried sheep pellelts ? ...whats the npk value of that ?...

NPK is 4 -1 -4 for sheep pellets, or at least it is for the pellets I'm going to buy.  But I'm only using the pellets to draw in and feed the worms and microbes over winter.

and i beleave there is 0 % calsium in it.. ? :( 

I'm not too sure if it has 0% calcium or not but I'm not too worried about that, it's just winter food for the worms and microbes.

3 hours ago, DutchFox said:

if you have a real pour spot....you can try chemical vertilisers...like the slow release pellets ?.....if you can get them there..

I won't use chemical fertilizers for a few reasons, I'd rather do the best I can with organic inputs.

1 hour ago, catweazle1 said:

Mix in something with a high available nitrogen/nitrate value to get the microbes numerous  as quickly as possible , so that they can quickly get to work on the compost material. You can buy compost accelerators, or maybe search the internet for free/cheaper suggestions

Thanks for the suggestions.:)

Try not to overcomplicate things, you will be better off getting some well rotted horse manure and spreading (mulching) it over the ground you are going to be growing in. You can buy it ready to go from most garden centres. 

• Like 1

Organic matter is organic matter. Its actually mostly carbon with a bit of nitrogenthat you want so leaves and twigs actually make better compost than veg scraps which are mostly water 

Step 1. Stand at plot.

Step 2. Look for litter from plants and trees.

Step 3. Put it on top of soil

Step 4.  Wonder why your suggesting to yourself growing biomass when  the same amount can be gathered in seconds from the locality unless your growing in a desert 

Edited by blackpoolbouncer
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, Maesteg Cannabis Club said:

Try not to overcomplicate things, you will be better off getting some well rotted horse manure and spreading (mulching) it over the ground you are going to be growing in. You can buy it ready to go from most garden centres. 

I'll look into the availability of horse manure in my region.  Thanks

2 hours ago, blackpoolbouncer said:

Organic matter is organic matter. Its actually mostly carbon with a bit of nitrogenthat you want so leaves and twigs actually make better compost than veg scraps which are mostly water 

Step 1. Stand at plot.

Step 2. Look for litter from plants and trees.

Step 3. Put it on top of soil

Step 4.  Wonder why your suggesting to yourself growing biomass when  the same amount can be gathered in seconds from the locality unless your growing in a desert 

Using leaves, twigs and grass is the easier option and it will have about 7 months to break down over autumn/winter.  I'll go with this idea then.  Much appreciated.

• Like 1

I'd err against growing things in yer plot , yer in NZ which is typically a melting pot of imported game, iirc you guys have pretty much every species of deer don't you? 

Deer love munching on cannabis , fact.

Carrots fucking reek , as do quite a few food crops so you'd basically be turning yer plot into a great big deer feeder I reckon.

:yinyang:

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Phillybonker said:

Doesn't dried chicken manure have a high salt content and one has to be careful not to add too much?

NPK is 4 -1 -4 for sheep pellets, or at least it is for the pellets I'm going to buy.  But I'm only using the pellets to draw in and feed the worms and microbes over winter.

I'm not too sure if it has 0% calcium or not but I'm not too worried about that, it's just winter food for the worms and microbes.

there is no salt in dried chickenmaure.

sheep manure is something between cow and horse manure....yes on the bag you find the correct info.

chickenmare gets its bad name because of use as fresh manure....

dried is the best manure for our plant....its complete...

it has

-  4-3-3 npk

- 10% calsium

- all micro elements for our plant.

use 1 tea cup dried chicken manure per 10 liter soil.    not more ..not less..

if i used your sheep manure...i would mix in 100 to 200 grams calsium per planthole....and some extra  P...in some form...( price wise this would be more expensive )

• Like 1