A confusing question

Gaijin

Morning folks,

I was in another thread, thinking about leccy costs, and something was said that made me wonder about about flowering and length of day. Might be a silly question, but here goes. 

Does a plant reach magnificent floral maturity based on the total number of hours light received, or based on the total number of day/night cycles? Bear with me lol 

@sweettooth mentioned the possibility of switching to an 11/13 flowering cycle, to save on leccy. And it would be a noticeable saving, no doubt about that. But there was mention of there being smaller harvest. Which started me thinking. I'm sorry :D 

If, for a plant to reach "point of maturity X", there. FUCK. I can't get the words right lollol 

oooooooooooooooo I got it now!!!!!!! I've fuckin' got it now babeeeeeeeeeeeee 

If, you went to an 11/13 cycle, would you not need to run for an extra day or two in order to have provided the same amount of light, in order to get to the same level of maturity? Or does the plant simply say. "oh well, less light each day and I'm smaller than I should be ..... but it is day 68 now, so I'm just as mature as if on a 12/12, but with less bud? 

Does any of that make sense? lollol 

Just now, Gaijin said:

Or does the plant simply say. "oh well, less light each day and I'm smaller than I should be ..... but it is day 68 now, so I'm just as mature as if on a 12/12, but with less bud? 

this

• Like 2

Just now, badbillybob said:

this

I'm glad someone understood my question :D  Thank you

So you could go even lower, I guess. With steadily diminishing returns. Hmmmm interesting. I pictured the plant saying, "Hell no, I'm owed 119 hours (one per day, for a long 17 week Sativa maybe) so keep the lights on please, another few days, I'm not as ready as I should be on this day". 

So what percentage yield would you lose for an hour's less light per day? 1 hour less than 12 is .12 less - would you be a tenth or more down on yield, I wonder?  

They tend to finish a bit faster with less hours, smaller tho. Even 15mins either way can make a difference.

Theres that red or ir led that you can use at lights off that's said to speed up flowering a bit.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ledgrowlights-Adam said:

Google DLI its about total photons over a given period rather than the period itself. Really interesting.

Ahhhhh ok, thanks :yep:   So if you could find a strain that was happy flowering at 14/10, you'd be finished sooner than the same strain at 12/12. But yielding less 

A 600 watt hps costs £14.11 per week at 12/12 (28p per kwh),running it for 2 hours less per day costs £ 11.76 per week.

So about £10 per month less...

It's the heating that's my major concern,being in an out building as I am.If your not warming them with light you'll have to do it with another heat source.....

Edited by Mr mcgregor
Trying errat
  • Like 3

Just now, Mr mcgregor said:

A 600 watt hps costs £14.11 per week at 12/12 (28p per kwh),running it for 2 hours less per day costs £ 11.76 per week.

It's the heating that's my major concern, being in an out building as I am .If your not warming them with light you'll have to do it with another heat source.....

Very good point. I'll be in an outbuilding myself, albeit in an extremely well-insulated room. I'll still have to heat the intake air which will not be pre-heated in any way. With LEDs in the winter I'd be happier with a 24/0 flower cycle to keep the heating costs down lol  

Autos might make more sense in that respect, with regards to the heat. But the leccy bill would suffer in a 20/4 cycle. Swings and roundabouts

1 minute ago, Gaijin said:

With LEDs in the winter I'd be happier with a 24/0 flower cycle to keep the heating costs down 

i could have my leds on 24/7 and would still need either an extra hps or heat source

i have found the lower the ceiling height (under stairs with 1x.9 foot print) with very well insulated walls i can run 320 watt led with just a 100 watt heat mat for the roots and 60 watt bar heater for the air temps, but you could forget that in a 2m high uninsulated tent

• Like 1

Just now, ratdog said:

i could have my leds on 24/7 and would still need either an extra hps or heat source

You are UK South Coast right?  I've got a 4x4 running with a 600w led turned down to 300w.  If I have it at 450 or above I'm hitting 31c.  I've got the window open too.  South facing small bedroom.

22 minutes ago, fatboy77 said:

You are UK South Coast right?

no mate, about 20 miles inland, i'm running 600 watt hps and a 600 watt led on 300 in a 2.2m hight 1.2 tent and still barely hitting 28 with fans on 40% in a north facing room

i have a 1m tent with a 315 cmh and a 300 watt led on about 180 watts in a south east facing room on fan setting 4 in mid/late flower at the same temps

block of flats, the walls are concrete block/brick no insulation, i would love a warmer building

e2a, windows always open due to condensation of concrete walls if not

Edited by ratdog

Just now, fatboy77 said:

You are UK South Coast right?  I've got a 4x4 running with a 600w led turned down to 300w.  If I have it at 450 or above I'm hitting 31c.  I've got the window open too.  South facing small bedroom.

that was somewhat tongue in cheek. But yes, south east corner. Right, I see. LEDs put out SOME heat then. I guess I'll find all this out when I actually turn one on for the first time :D 

If I have the budget, I'll have a duct heater on the fresh air intake, and some rather thick wall, ceiling and floor insulation. 

On 06/02/2022 at 10:33 AM, Mr mcgregor said:

It's the heating that's my major concern,being in an out building as I am.If your not warming them with light you'll have to do it with another heat source.....

Just been informed by swmbo ,that our tariff is 19.35p per kwh,

The 28 p is the daily standing charge.....

I could have had some heating on this winter......:wallbash:

• Like 2

@Mr mcgregor Soon as I move house, I'll have to get all that worked out myself. I've never had a clue what I pay for electricity per kwh or per anything else lol Whatever the total is, it leaves my account. I'll definitely need to show a little more interest when I finally get seeds wet 

• 2 months later...
On 09/02/2022 at 2:28 PM, Gaijin said:

@Mr mcgregor Soon as I move house, I'll have to get all that worked out myself. I've never had a clue what I pay for electricity per kwh or per anything else lol Whatever the total is, it leaves my account. I'll definitely need to show a little more interest when I finally get seeds wet 

Electric is mental I spend around £7/8 a day on Electric