Soil

the rambler

For years i got by using Jacks Magic and  R J'' s  Flower Power feed with great results -  both readily available & cheap.

As i developed my skills i then went onto home brew soil & Intense Nutrients feed -  Intense Nutes were a HUGE game changer for me and will stay with them mate.  

Intense Nutes have their own section on here, friendly & informative guys and in my humble opinion and awesome product.   :yep:

• Like 2

I have used garden centre multi-purpose compost with good results, although if it is a peat-based compost then it would be a good idea to amend it with gardening lime to buffer the pH, as peat is pretty acidic.

Only thing with compost is it can be slow-draining. So you could amend with perlite or vermiculite to improve the drainage.

Currently I'm using a mixture of compost, vermiculite and lime.

Just the way I do it - there are surely many worthy options around.

• Like 2

Ok mate i used verve from b and q with added vermiculite also levingtons plus vermiculite both cheap hadno problems there 50litre bags 3 for tenner  no way i could afford them £20 plus bags bio bizz etc hope this helps just see how long it says it feeds for on the bag usualy its a couple of weeks less than they say soon as you see a bit of defiencies go from there 

14 hours ago, Mesopotamia101 said:

although if it is a peat-based compost then it would be a good idea to amend it with gardening lime to buffer the pH, as peat is pretty acidic.

Peat based compost that's bought in a bag not a bale is already amended with lime. 

Otherwise you couldnt grow anything other than perhaps a rhododendron in it with a ph lower than even an ericaceous scale

Don't start tinkering with lime unless you know it needs it

Edited by blackpoolbouncer
  • Like 4
1 hour ago, blackpoolbouncer said:

Peat based compost that's bought in a bag not a bale is already amended with lime. 

Otherwise you couldnt grow anything other than perhaps a rhododendron in it with a ph lower than even an ericaceous scale

This ^^

A good few years ago I was lured (they were cheap and I'm easy lol) into buying unformulated peat bales by a bloke down the local argi suppliers , tried growing peppers in it ..

Absolute fuckin nightmare , two years later it was alright for tomatoes after a bit of ammending but then toms don't mind a bit of Eric.

:yinyang:

• Like 2

I recently bought a couple of bags of Dalefoot compost which is peat free and a decent price. It's brilliant stuff and good for the environment, I'd definitely recommend it, won't be long until we all have to go peat free so might as well make the change now. I did have some issues with Fungus Gnats, but that's the fault of the supplier not storing it properly than the manufacturer and can happen with any bagged soil. 

Of course if you have space, DIY is cheapest and best. 

E2A This is an SHDxAU auto (subbies) in plain Dalefoot fruit and veg with a couple of biotabs stuck in it, under 40 watts of chinese LEDs. She's had nothing but a bit of Biosys tea and tap water and she's happy as can be so far.  

large.PXL_20220207_104046511_compress4.jpglarge.PXL_20220207_104035500_compress39.jpg

Edited by MindSoup
  • Like 4

Last year I used basic potting soil for my garden auto's (first time grow).... I'd definitely advise breaking it up with perlite.... got some pre mixed from my mates hydro shop so I'm giving it a blast

• Like 2

Generally i only use Canna Terra Flores and boost. Don't really feed for the first 28 days but if I do I sometimes add a small bit of Vega.

Got some Intense Dirt Bloom arriving tomorrow so will be using that on this current grow.

I don't pH either