Do leaves, grass and twigs make good compost?

Phillybonker

I do gorilla growing and in one of my spots it will prove challenging to haul compost into that area so I was wandering if mixing leaves, grass and twigs into the dirt would make satisfactory compost?

Also how long will it all take to break down into compost?

Fresh cut grass and leaves will compost if the carbon to nitrogen levels are correct. 

brown to green… so there’s a ratio for it erm I’m not too sure what it is again just be conscious of what your using!!! Bark is 400% carbon I think 

making a meal of this lol but yeah look it up online lad! Composting can be done with grass and leaves ;) if the ratios are met and also if the size and width of the heap are met and also the moisture!

good luck pal! 

hopefully some help arrives! 

• Like 1

What is the dirt…. Out of interest? There’s a thread on here called soil types. You can improve your “dirt” if you amend it with nice organic compounds… 

think you should research what’s Beneath your feet and if your working with decent stuff get to work on amending it!

for example I’m working with chalky soil… the pH is out of whack… soooo i just buy soil… add amendments and try to keep it moist and keep the soil fed.

then when I’m done I just dig it out and start over… lot of work but it works for me haha

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Whambud said:

What is the dirt…. Out of interest? There’s a thread on here called soil types. You can improve your “dirt” if you amend it with nice organic compounds… 

think you should research what’s Beneath your feet and if your working with decent stuff get to work on amending it!

for example I’m working with chalky soil… the pH is out of whack… soooo i just buy soil… add amendments and try to keep it moist and keep the soil fed.

then when I’m done I just dig it out and start over… lot of work but it works for me haha

The soil is a light brown, slightly sandy soil.  I'm going investigate the soil more later on in the day to see if it has any worm life in it.

Not being funny mate and I mean no offence but if your asking if leaves grass and twigs make compost I almost think your taking the piss?

Do us all a massive favour and watch  this 

• Like 5

Leaves, grass and twigs definitely make better compost than expired donuts, used condoms and 70s era Rover v8 camshafts. 

Leaves, grass and twigs are quite literally what the forest floor is comprised of. It will become compost, assuming conditions are adequate. 

Edited by Cajafiesta
  • Like 5

On 2/4/2022 at 8:35 PM, blackpoolbouncer said:

Not being funny mate and I mean no offence but if your asking if leaves grass and twigs make compost I almost think your taking the piss?

Do us all a massive favour and watch  this 

Okay I'm going to mix some leaves, grass and twigs into the soil and hopefully 6-7 months will be enough time to break it down.  If I figure out a way to get compost bags into my new grow area I can simply top dress that in, no worries.  If I can't figure out a plan to get compost bags into my grow area, at least I've got the leaves, twigs and grass decomposing as my back up plan.  Thanks for the video, very educational.:)

• Like 1

On 2/4/2022 at 11:41 PM, Mr mcgregor said:

May be of some use...

Dr Elaine Ingham has a few video's I might need to watch.  Thanks:)

• Like 1