Gold Label Special Mix question

frank0420

Hi everyone, photoperiod beginners question here. I have been reading a a lot of dairy's and not a lot use the jiffy pellet method for seedlings but a dude on You tube uses them all the time then plants them straight to their last grow pot.

I'm gonna give this method a go, jiffy pellet in the wee green house seed tray then when the plant is around 4" tall straight into my main 3 gallon pot with the VIPARSPECTRA Pro P600 on low (one plant only as I just got a 2x2x5 tent) . The soil will be "Gold Label Special Mix" and neuts will be "Old timer bloom and grow" with Calmag /PH up &  down just in case. 

Please feel free to talk me into another brands entirely, I'm open to suggestions. Thanks

Edited by frank0420

5 minutes ago, KC said:

Are they Autos?

No I'm planning on photoperiod, ps the Youtube videos I was watching are from a grower called "2x2 tent grower"

he plants seeds into jiffy pods then when germinated straight to large final pot.

Check out his video " 2x4 Grow Tent Mars Hydro SP250 seedlings Day 2 and 3"

Edited by frank0420

I can't see the point in using a pot that big if you're not going to root it our properly. I'll have a look in a bit :yep: (got tunes on youtube)

Edited by KC
he done amazingly well for such a little light (depends how dry it is i suppose)
  • Like 2

I'm a Jiffy 7 user and just ordered another 50, damn I love them! I used to use the paper towel method until one day I was a bit heavy handed and ruined quite a few seeds, everyday is a school day. Anyway I would never go back now.

Once you let them soak up the water squeeze some out otherwise you run the risk of dampening off the seeds / seedlings. Plug the seeds in, pop them all in the propagator at roughly 26 C and you should see them all sprout in a few days. Once they show take the lid off and let them root out.

As @KC mentioned no point going from a Jiffy which can be only 30mm diameter into a 3 gallon pot, you will just end up wasting time, money and energy. Pot up in stages so increasing pot volume each time allowing the plat to toot out properly. But it is as simple as planting the jiffy in the medium in the next pot.

For me it simplified the germinating process and took out several potential user error stages.

Edited by Kush Lover
Spelling
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, Kush Lover said:

I'm a Jiffy 7 user and just ordered another 50, damn I love them! I used to use the paper towel method until one day I was a bit heavy handed and ruined quite a few seeds, everyday is a school day. Anyway I would never go back now.

Once you let them soak up the water squeeze some out otherwise you run the risk of dampening off the seeds / seedlings. Plug the seeds in, pop them all in the propagator at roughly 26 C and you should see them all sprout in a few days. Once they show take the lid off and let them root out.

As @KC mentioned no point going from a Jiffy which can be only 30mm diameter into a 3 gallon pot, you will just end up wasting time, money and energy. Pot up in stages so increasing pot volume each time allowing the plat to toot out properly. But it is as simple as planting the jiffy in the medium in the next pot.

For me it simplified the germinating process and took out several potential user error stages.

I agree on this method totally thank you. Can I ask how many times would I need to pot up before the 3 gallon?

i use and love gold label, it's light enough to crack seeds in directly, won't burn your seedlings at all.

you won't need phing, it won't work with compost anyway as it buffers, and if you need cal mag i would get your water tested, so you know what's what

• Like 1

Just now, frank0420 said:

I agree on this method totally thank you. Can I ask how many times would I need to pot up before the 3 gallon?

A few. How much is a 3 gallon pot in size?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Larry Badgeley said:

A few. How much is a 3 gallon pot in size?

@Larry Badgeley its 11"x9.5", a 3 gallon pot can hold about 11 ltrs, I was thinking it was too big for a 2x2x5 tall tent...what are you thoughts?

@frank0420

If 11 Ltr is your final, then I would think in pot up stages - 1,3,5 then 11. You can use an 11 ltr in that size tent but you will have to do some training and not grow Sativas. My height of tent is 180cm and I use 7.5 Ltr pots though I do FIM mine to keep them stocky

57 minutes ago, Larry Badgeley said:

@frank0420

If 11 Ltr is your final, then I would think in pot up stages - 1,3,5 then 11. You can use an 11 ltr in that size tent but you will have to do some training and not grow Sativas. My height of tent is 180cm and I use 7.5 Ltr pots though I do FIM mine to keep them stocky

@Larry Badgeley Thank so much for the info... looks like I have been reading the photoperiods wrong thinking there was only two pot changes as I read in Ledtonic.com "How to grow marijuana indoors, a beginner's guide"  "Regular strains will need to be planted in a small pot, around 8 oz (0.25 liters), and when they develop four sets of leaves, transplanted into their long term pot, 3+ gallons (10+ liters)"  So I was getting confused. Can I ask what is the best way to judge to pot up to a new size?

13 hours ago, frank0420 said:

@Larry Badgeley Thank so much for the info... looks like I have been reading the photoperiods wrong thinking there was only two pot changes as I read in Ledtonic.com "How to grow marijuana indoors, a beginner's guide"  "Regular strains will need to be planted in a small pot, around 8 oz (0.25 liters), and when they develop four sets of leaves, transplanted into their long term pot, 3+ gallons (10+ liters)"  Thanks for your response

On 03/02/2022 at 8:07 PM, frank0420 said:

Can I ask what is the best way to judge to pot up to a new size?

if you can get it like this is great, but this is an exceptional plant, but you want a bust root ball if you can

large.61d30ed8674c2_discobiscuit312022.jpg