Roots in iws

Baron von greenback

When roots get out of hand in a iws system and they start to go into the pipe work is it alright to trim them a bit or will this hurt the plant thanks guys

It'll be OK to trim the roots back a bit.

Found some roots growing along the pipes last grow - was thinking of adding some copper wire around the outlet hole - roots don't like copper, but will the copper upset the balance of the nutes!?! I struggle to understand chemistry!

@Baron von greenback

Just now, QQ710 said:

It'll be OK to trim the roots back a bit.

Found some roots growing along the pipes last grow - was thinking of adding some copper wire around the outlet hole - roots don't like copper, but will the copper upset the balance of the nutes!?! I struggle to understand chemistry!

@Baron von greenback

Thanks mate i cut some copper pipeing and glued them inside bucket on out let hasnt seemed to have bothered them plus when you buy the iws system it comes with copper disc that you put in net pots so it must be ok 

• Like 1

I use to work with the pro system with the larger pipe,at the end of a job I’d find the roots could be 18 inch down the pipe on some of the pots,never caused a blockage although it wasn’t ideal,use to take a bit of cleaning up for the next run,I use to use the aqua pots

the easy solution is to turn your pots every week or two., this pulls the roots out of the pipes and they stay at the bottom of the bigger pot. 

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Big dog said:

I use to work with the pro system with the larger pipe,at the end of a job I’d find the roots could be 18 inch down the pipe on some of the pots,never caused a blockage although it wasn’t ideal,use to take a bit of cleaning up for the next run,I use to use the aqua pots

Ok mate mine are the aqua pots with 16 mm piping i put some copper piping in the buckets so see if that makes a diffrence

7 hours ago, badbillybob said:

the easy solution is to turn your pots every week or two., this pulls the roots out of the pipes and they stay at the bottom of the bigger pot. 

Ye mate i turn my pots daily so hopefuly it wont be a problem 

• Like 1