Iws system with brain 25 pots

Baron von greenback

I have just started growing in hydroponics so looking for advice hints and tips anything that helps growing in rockwool cubes in clay pebbles feeding 3 times lights on once when lights off using mills a and b with canna rhizotonic  water temp 19c  ph between 5.7 and 6.4 i read somewhere anywere between 5.5 and 6.5 in ph is right you get more range in up take of u

Nutriants plus ppm between 300 and 600 on the 700x scale so thanks guys

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Im not keen on using Rockwool in flood and drain to be honest either......They hold too much water but once the roots get out it doesn't really matter anymore.

Why a water temperature of 19C ? thats really cold for flood and drain imo.

PH 5.6 - 6.1

Nutes 630 -700 light dependant  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mikeydoughnut said:

Sorry to hijack a thread but kinda related. What do you reckon to those eazy blocks/pyramids @badbillybob? I’ve been nattering with Stu and decided to try a homemade automated watering system. I want to learn to crawl before I can walk but  those blocks n pyramids look a piece of piss to work with 

I hate to hijack your hijack thread lol but I use the blocks and they are a piece of piss to work with...I would imagine the pyramids to be a dream to use if you're RTW.

You cant really fuck up....just set and maintain the nutes  and tell the girls what they are eating :yep:

Whats your thoughts @badbillybob as mikey was talking to you and I rudely interrupted lol 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, zen-ken said:

I hate to hijack your hijack thread lol but I use the blocks and they are a piece of piss to work with...I would imagine the pyramids to be a dream to use if you're RTW.

You cant really fuck up....just set and maintain the nutes  and tell the girls what they are eating :yep:

Whats your thoughts @badbillybob as mikey was talking to you and I rudely interrupted lol 

i dunno mate, ive never used the pyramids.

im using root it cubes again, they work well enough for me.

• Like 2

Just now, mikeydoughnut said:

@zen-ken Getting all a bit too often this pig ignorance lol 

You know I love you mikey :wub: 

And stu is like me and billy.....we will talk about system builds all day :yep:

• Like 2

Just now, zen-ken said:

And stu is like me and billy.....we will talk about system builds all day 

Wait 'til my new build is done and dusted...the way it's going I'm never gonna shut up about it...:rofl::rofl:

• Like 3

Just now, stu914 said:

Wait 'til my new build is done and dusted...the way it's going I'm never gonna shut up about it...:rofl::rofl:

Without your passion for improvement and experiment it would be a duller place bro :yep:

Im all ears.

My best to you and yours 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, zen-ken said:

Im not keen on using Rockwool in flood and drain to be honest either......They hold too much water but once the roots get out it doesn't really matter anymore.

Why a water temperature of 19C ? thats really cold for flood and drain imo.

PH 5.6 - 6.1

Nutes 630 -700 light dependant  

Ok mate what temp would you run at i was useing root riot blocks in soil plus them disc that expand when you soak them there only small so i though i would buy big square rockwool cubes thought they be more stable just bought 40 of them wish i would have know that before would you suggest watering less if they hold to much water what are these pyramid blocks cheers

Just now, Baron von greenback said:

Ok mate what temp would you run at i was useing root riot blocks in soil plus them disc that expand when you soak them there only small so i though i would buy big square rockwool cubes thought they be more stable just bought 40 of them wish i would have know that before would you suggest watering less if they hold to much water what are these pyramid blocks cheers

??? what system are you using ? I thought it was an IWS flood and drain with clay pebbles ??

Just now, zen-ken said:

??? what system are you using ? I thought it was an IWS flood and drain with clay pebbles ??

Ye sorry mate i been using root riot and them disc in my soil pots i have just bought rockwool cubes for my iws system in  clay plebbles cause i thought they be more stable i growing in soil and iws at the minute 

• Like 1

Just now, Baron von greenback said:

Ye sorry mate i been using root riot and them disc in my soil pots i have just bought rockwool cubes for my iws system in  clay plebbles cause i thought they be more stable i growing in soil and iws at the minute 

Then don't worry about it....Just root out the blocks properly before putting in the system or keep the irrigation times further apart to ensure an amount of dry back to promote root growth.

(light and environment will dictate that to begin with)....It wont be long before they can take multiple irrigations a day ime.

As for water temperature I fail to understand why you would worry about DO when you drag fresh air into the root zone each water cycle....therefore you can have the system water as high as 25C as long as it was properly treated and aerated (water pathogens can be easily dealt with by fungicides, sterilisers or UV) 

:skin_up:

28 minutes ago, zen-ken said:

Then don't worry about it....Just root out the blocks properly before putting in the system or keep the irrigation times further apart to ensure an amount of dry back to promote root growth.

(light and environment will dictate that to begin with)....It wont be long before they can take multiple irrigations a day ime.

As for water temperature I fail to understand why you would worry about DO when you drag fresh air into the root zone each water cycle....therefore you can have the system water as high as 25C as long as it was properly treated and aerated (water pathogens can be easily dealt with by fungicides, sterilisers or UV) 

:skin_up:

Ok mate cheers the water temp what i have read shouldnt be over 22c in water butt it cause issues but i really dont know in mine i have 2 big round air stones running all the time plus i use great white and i think you have to be careful what you add in case you kill the stuff off but again not sure  its a mine field to be honest 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Baron von greenback said:

Ok mate cheers the water temp what i have read shouldnt be over 22c in water butt it cause issues but i really dont know in mine i have 2 big round air stones running all the time plus i use great white and i think you have to be careful what you add in case you kill the stuff off but again not sure  its a mine field to be honest 

Considering most bacterial life needs water temperatures of over 25C to colonise properly I will never understand the logic .....apart from pathogen control that can be dealt with imo.

I agree in my RWDC my water temperature needs to be around 19 -20C to serve two purposes

1. To control pathogens in the space between the water and the crown. 
  2. To maintain sufficient DO levels in nutrient rich water.

It is not however the ideal root temperature (source: Dr Bruce Bugby) and so in RDWC we play a balancing act between root growth and DO by using a chiller.

If you use 22C water to help control water born nasties how do you think the bennies are gonna colonise ? 

• Like 1

Ok mate nice one so your temps are 19 to 20 i not keeping at 22 to control nasties its just what i read just trying to work out the right temps  so do i stop useing great white seems no point if no good till 25c or up temps to 25c and keep useing it cheers

• Like 1