Let's talk trichomes...

HazyDaze

Just now, catweazle1 said:

Learrned something there. Growing indicas, I've been waiting for the amber trichs!... duh! They tend to go go milky at peak, then deteriorate.

Exactly! I much prefer the Indica high, and plan to grow Indica doms .................... Glad I read this lol Imagine  

• Like 1

It's an interesting topic. I think the trichome and terpene differences account for how good strains are to hash. 

I've found Jack Herrer although often very sticky and strong, dry sifts really badly and you basically get hardly anything falling through. With ice hash you get most collecting in the smaller micron size bags. I think most in the  42 but could be 25.

When I have dry sifted Disco Biscuit I have had a big yield. I haven't used bubble bags on that one though.

• Like 4

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 28/01/2022 at 11:16 AM, HazyDaze said:

Let's talk trichomes...

Some are dry, some are dusty , some are heavily oily, greasy and sticky,  some are stalky , some are short and bulbous, and everything inbetween.

Thats about all the knowledge on this area of cannabis I have.

oh, and  they get you high, I sussed that bit very early on in my life though to be fair  lol

I'd ike to educate myself with more knowledge than I currently  have in this area.

We all know the differences are vast between these little stalks of magic in many areas and give many different effects and uses  for the end user.

Anyone have a good video or paper you can point me to on the  subject of different trichomes and their effects  please?

Or if anyone has good chat in this area, let's hear it...

It's a very  interesting area we dont talk about nearly as much as we probably should, only about the colours for ripeness, but we're  missing so much more here, aren't we?

:yinyang:

Trichcombes are great but not the only thing to get a person high. Delta ect are oils found in cannabis and a lot stronger than THC but not found in trichcombes. I read that terpins also have a effect on the high. When I hear people saying look at the THC on that bud referring to the trichcombes I chuckle to myself because a plant can have ripe buds but lots of unripe trichcombes. Not really strong high but looking better than some less hairy buds that are ripe trichcombes.

As for the trichcombes. Some plants produce nice brown ripe trichcombes, Others only go milky, Clear is weak nearly no THC because they are not ripe or even starting to ripen. The reason older auto's were considered a weak high strains because they didn't ripen. Gray is degrading if your seeing gray it's time to chop as your over the plants ripening peak. Trichcombes is just a fancy term for plant hair's. These bulbus hairs are a good guide to when to harvest the plant. As I stated the best time is to catch them before any go gray. Indica strains can produce brown trichcombes but you find this more in sativas. Its just another way of dialling in a strain that isn't easy to perfect from growing a strain once. :yinyang:

Edited by brock1
  • Like 2

DP’s Blueberry back 20 years or so oh my.. always wanted to try it then got some from a guy who had a 10/10 pheno. Blueberry terp saturated caster sugar. Could smell his house from the next street down lol 

I don’t know if anyone measures trichs on a scale of fragility but that stuff was sugary, to the point of being robust enough to carry with it all of the terp profile.

+1 for gritty lol 

• Like 3

I'm glad found this thread, great topic @HazyDaze :yep:

I was only thinking this a few days back while in the lockup checking through my stock, opening jars that haven't been touched for months and just checking the stored buds..some are so sticky almost like they are not even dry while others although they are covered in trichs are very sandy/grainy.. it did make me wonder why this was. 

Its interesting to learn about these things and as others have said its what we all chase after all so I agreed these are really interesting topics that should be discussed more often.

After having a little play about with making some dry sift I did notice the returns really differ some of these sticky type buds don't give a lot back i guess the sticky trichs just cling to the plant matter more leaving lots of waste if its not processed any further by other means.

I think I'll only be sifting the sandy/grainy types from now on and save the sticky greasy types for something else if im not smoking it..

• Like 2

@Revive what RH was the "sticky" stuff when you screened it? From what I gather traditional hash makers use much drier bud than we would normally have it for smoking. I remember listening to Kevin Jodrey talk about his hash yields improving a lot once he started drying hash material further. 

E2A obviously if you just want to knock a few heads off and smoke the bud after then it might not be the best option, but thought it was worth mentioning in case you have stuff set aside purely for extraction.

Edited by MindSoup
  • Like 2

43 minutes ago, Revive said:

I'm glad found this thread, great topic @HazyDaze :yep:

I was only thinking this a few days back while in the lockup checking through my stock, opening jars that haven't been touched for months and just checking the stored buds..some are so sticky almost like they are not even dry while others although they are covered in trichs are very sandy/grainy.. it did make me wonder why this was. 

Its interesting to learn about these things and as others have said its what we all chase after all so I agreed these are really interesting topics that should be discussed more often.

After having a little play about with making some dry sift I did notice the returns really differ some of these sticky type buds don't give a lot back i guess the sticky trichs just cling to the plant matter more leaving lots of waste if its not processed any further by other means.

I think I'll only be sifting the sandy/grainy types from now on and save the sticky greasy types for something else if im not smoking it..

I sifty it them do a butane extraction and mix them together. It looks like honey when your mix with the sift. Best hash I have ever had jelly hash it lovely from a greasy strain :haveadab:

• Like 4

Just now, MindSoup said:

I do the same but with iso extraction, comes out really nice, pliable and soft, almost self leveling but not tacky/sticky.

I am drooling thinking about it :bong:

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, MindSoup said:

what RH was the "sticky" stuff when you screened it?

Not 100%on that bro no mini hygrows in those jars..but its got dry snapable stems so it's not out of range..tbh that same bit of bud or 1 of them has been left out on the side indoors on top of my lizzard viv so there's at tiny bit of warmth in the spot where her light is and it stayed the same, other bits always dry out there so can be crumbled with just fingers but not the sticky ones grinder is always needed for some reason or it rolls into small bits/balls.

I've got a few strains like that.

Yes its always better to bone dry for extraction, i agree mate :yep: ive also had better returns from bud at room temp rather than than frozen while sifting too

• Like 1