Autopots

Chris78

HI all, Im day 30 ish vegging some ESB and Generals Daughter.   I was just on the verge or getting some 15l autopots, that has been the plan for ages.  Then a few bits I read started to put me off.   Here are the main concerns

No ability to create run off and wash out any salt build up, so will ec just rise?

A few people talking about cal/mag deficiencies with this system, not sure why that would be but more than one person has mentioned it.

A couple of people saying, while its easier, hand watering gets better yields.   

I really dont want to hand water, but equally I dont want to run into issues.

Does any want to reassure me or put me off the autopots?

Edited by Chris78
error in title

I didn't get on with them.  I found they kept the substrate far too wet, which did horrible things to the plants.  If I were to use them again, I'd only fill the res with enough for one watering so that when the water level dropped, air would be allowed to be drawn in.  But if that's what it takes, might as well chuck your feed in a saucer and do it that way.

You'll only have an accumulation of salts if you overfeed but I think it's a good idea to give the occasional top drench with a bit of run off, just in case.

Edited by Clubs
  • Like 1