Can I use tiger worms in my gorilla grow?

Phillybonker

I'm thinking ahead to next season and I was wondering if using tiger worms in a gorilla grow would be beneficial?, The plants will be directly planted in the ground out in the bush and I'll dig some leaves, grass, twigs into the dirt then add 100 tiger worms for each plant.  Is this a good idea or will the tiger worms "run away" since they are not confined to a grow pot or composting bin?

Edited by Phillybonker

Absolute waste of time adding worms to ground outside lol

They say there's no silly questions but........

Only joking mate. If you put a mulch of organic matter down its like a beacon call for all the worms in the locality. Worms will flock and multiply. Thats how to gain and multiply worms outside. Give them ha itat and food and they wil come. Literally overnight too

• Like 9

12 hours ago, blackpoolbouncer said:

Absolute waste of time adding worms to ground outside lol

They say there's no silly questions but........

Only joking mate. If you put a mulch of organic matter down its like a beacon call for all the worms in the locality. Worms will flock and multiply. Thats how to gain and multiply worms outside. Give them ha itat and food and they wil come. Literally overnight too

A couple of my plants are quite small compared to the rest and I put that down to poor quality soil even though I added 60L of compost to each spot.  It's as if I called the worms and they didn't come for what ever reason.  That's what gave me the idea of adding tiger worms to spots with questionable soil quality.

Maybe I should make my own compost as home made compost, if done right, is probably better quality than shop purchased compost.

57 minutes ago, ratdog said:

dig in or on the surface?

Digged in.

Edited by Phillybonker

Just now, Phillybonker said:

Digged in for one and both digged in and on the surface for the other.

i've been doing no dig and if you want worms and all the fungi to be intact i would just clear the area you want to plant and top dress with a few inches of compost a couple of months or more beforehand, easier than digging and better all round and my veg love it

• Like 4

Just now, ratdog said:

i've been doing no dig and if you want worms and all the fungi to be intact i would just clear the area you want to plant and top dress with a few inches of compost a couple of months or more beforehand, easier than digging and better all round and my veg love it

Thanks for the advice, I'll give no-till a go next season coming up.

Edited by Phillybonker
  • Like 2

On 26-1-2022 at 1:59 AM, Phillybonker said:

I'm thinking ahead to next season and I was wondering if using tiger worms in a gorilla grow would be beneficial?, The plants will be directly planted in the ground out in the bush and I'll dig some leaves, grass, twigs into the dirt then add 100 tiger worms for each plant.  Is this a good idea or will the tiger worms "run away" since they are not confined to a grow pot or composting bin?

the tiger worms are not the ones you need in your grow...the are composting worms...

just feed the local worms that are already in your plot.....by using dried chicken manure few months before planting out......them worms will come and multiply...they will make you a top soil...

bringing worms is not the solution....feeding worms is... :) 

Edited by DutchFox
  • Like 1

On 2/1/2022 at 2:23 PM, DutchFox said:

the tiger worms are not the ones you need in your grow...the are composting worms...

just feed the local worms that are already in your plot.....by using dried chicken manure few months before planting out......them worms will come and multiply...they will make you a top soil...

bringing worms is not the solution....feeding worms is... :) 

I was trying to figure out an easy way to get worm food (vegetable & fruit scrapes) to my plots.  Dried chicken manure will be easy to carry in and I'll feed the local worms as you were saying.  Thanks

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Phillybonker said:

I was trying to figure out an easy way to get worm food (vegetable & fruit scrapes) to my plots.  Dried chicken manure will be easy to carry in and I'll feed the local worms as you were saying.  Thanks

mix 1 tea cup per 10 liter soil...no more...no less.....

so if your plant hole is 50x50x50 125 liter....mix in...12.5 tea cup dried chicken manure....and mix it well......or top dress 4 months before planting....

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, DutchFox said:

mix 1 tea cup per 10 liter soil...no more...no less.....

so if your plant hole is 50x50x50 125 liter....mix in...12.5 tea cup dried chicken manure....and mix it well......or top dress 4 months before planting....

Sorry for the dumb question but do you mean 50cm x 50cm x 50cm?

My holes are about 120cm x 120cm by 40cm (deep)

Edited by Phillybonker
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Phillybonker said:

Sorry for the dumb question but do you mean 50cm x 50cm x 50cm?

My holes are about 120cm x 120cm by 40cm (deep)

yes in cm...

so you holes are 576 liter....so 57.6 teacups dried chicken manure.

these are big holes..ur growing monsters ..  :) 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, DutchFox said:

yes in cm...

so you holes are 576 liter....so 57.6 teacups dried chicken manure.

these are big holes..ur growing monsters ..  :) 

Thanks for the calculations.  Much appreciated.

My holes are barely big enough, one of my plants died at 13 weeks old so I decided to take a look at the root system and found that the roots stretched beyond the holes that I dug for it. 

Edited by Phillybonker
  • Like 1

Would the same advice stand as no need for worms if growing in a very large fabric pot???

Reason i ask is i grew in small fabric pots last season on the corner of my raised bed i built i was going to make another raised bed but the ground is really stoney and was really hard work clearing out the large bed so spotting the large 420l pot comp got me thinking and if i can source one getting one of the really big pots and making my own living soil to fill it along with native soil i can scrounge from nearby.

What worms would people recommend i have a pretty healthy garden eco system going on so can get plenty of garden earthworms and transport to plot if they would be ok i is a tight arse Welshman and free is good. lol