Killer Internet Stealth

Barnes

36 minutes ago, j.o.i.n.t said:

@Barnes

Learning a little about how it all works would be more useful.

Grasp basic networking, basic command line tools - simple stuff, first, I'd suggest. Without that... well, it's just a black box/magical mystery ride for your data, isn't it? You couldn't tell right now what's 'secure' and what isn't. :)

ETA

I could tell you how to set up your terminal - now you're a linux user - to 'look like a hacker', if you'd like. I have a screen I tab to when working with others, so people who don't know about computers leave me alone if I stare at it intently :D It's meaningless bollocks, but they can't tell the difference.

You'll need a 'terminal multiplexer'. Look it up.

Definitely learning how it works is useful. I've fiddled about with various flavours and dibbed in and out over the years, but this time its permanent. The terminal is so cool, and powerful! I like being able to install software just by using commands sudo apt install etc . Ive got a grasp on basic networking (ifconfig)...so not a total novice, just a novice ;)

sudo apt-install tmux .. is that what you're using for the terminal multiplex?

• Like 1

@Barnes

Have a look at the ip command, ifconfig is 'depreciated' - seen as bit past it :).... perhaps also have a look at a diagnostic tool called mtr, if things network interest you.

I use Tilix, basically as a 'IDE', but I've been through a few over the years. Was on the venerable screen for yonks, for remote machines, which is a bit dusty now -  but there's a few to play with. Try a few, see what suits you.

https://www.nerdfonts.com/

if you want to fancy it up a bit.

Really though, being comfy with BASH, having a mental model of the file system, an awareness of protocols etc - I'd say dig in with all that stuff first.

Edited by j.o.i.n.t
  • Like 1

Thank you so much for that @j.o.i.n.t.. i've installed 2 fonts but i dont' know how to get them to work in terminal grr

The ip stuff is brilliant, im working my way through that now. monday morning hitting the ground running ....erm sort of ;)

• Like 1

@Barnes

Install them on your os first. That can be as easy as opening the folder in your file manager and double clicking the font you want.... it'll open, show you the various characters, and you'll see a button 'install', most probably. (That's more for others more newbie, I see you've done that)

Then go into the settings of your terminal, and select it :)

eta.

More unasked for tips:

If you intend to stay a while, so so speak, and perhaps extend into servers and various *nix based environments: learn at least basic 'vi' navigation/editing commands.... It's a bit weird a first, but if you stick at it's time worth spending.

I say learn 'vi', cos if you do end up using lots computers the basic state is all you'll have off the bat, much of the time - so it's wise to be comfy without the bells and whistles too ...but 'vim' has more features, which are useful.... There's a few different implementations of it. A more modern one, which uses a scripting language called Lua, is called 'neovim'.

Anyway, those fancy fonts can be helpful - well, pretty at least. There's symbols and stuff that play nice with various plug-ins, which are used to extend and add functionality.

:geek: ...sorry to go on. Nix is a big fixation of mine

Edited by j.o.i.n.t
  • Like 1

Ive installed the fonts but having problem getting them over to where i think they need to be in /usr/share/fonts/ ?  i cant Move To or copy and paste the folder.. (weird how it came in .zip but anyways) there must be a terminal command something like "cpy HeavyData /usr/share/fonts"

There's a profile selector under preferences in the terminal , but i cant seem to search and select my font, only create new profiles and settings?

@j.o.i.n.t Id love mesing about with stuff like this but i do worry that im wasting my time. It's all about finding the right path isn't it? And so easy to end up wasting time going down blind alleys. Some say learn Python, others say no learn javascript and so on. I'm not a graphic designer and quite rubbish at computer art (not much better with pencil) so im not into designing websites. I do create my own music but thats a different story. Linux is just another world, and its deep. I do like the networking side of things and i did (arfur) CCNA years ago.

Ive got like six terminals open now and The Matrix Resurrection on the telly. If anyone walks past it might look like a proper complicated computer display.. i wish i was bloody trading on the dow jones or something but no...just me messing about , frying my synapses..

this vi interests me tho man.

11 hours ago, Boojum said:

lol If you want to get in touch with me send me an email. Or better yet a letter lol I'll get back to you eventually. Why is everyone so impatient ?

i can live with email but dealing with my business by letter? lol

i have a love hate relationship with my phone, these days people can barely wait a few hours to get a reply from you about work so it's a must, and google maps is very handy to find obscure addresses

@Barnes if you double clicked the unpacked font and installed it that way, you won't have to piss about like that. When in doubt, search; 'how to change font on [your terminal]'. :D

Indeed, follow whatever path you like.... JavaScript is mainly web development (or should be!).

Dusty CCNA?

How about aim high/something practical then? I learn best, myself, implementing things.... Set up your own DNS forwarder? Perhaps practise on a virtual machine (I use virt-manager to set them up, it's easier) before you use a remote server (VPS).... Have a look at what you can see when making DNS requests using something like tcpdump or wireshark? (all of it, by default its plain text), then set up 'dns-over-tls' or 'dns-over-http' and see what changes? ...What's DNSSEC, and how it it used and for what purpose  etc etc

These will help, pick one if this reads interesting, or try em both to see how they approach things.

unbound

knot-resolver

Yanno, play :) (and avoid 'Bind', trust me). Just have a go at stuff, see what sticks.

Good luck with whatever you choose, there's infinite rabbit holes here, in a practical sense

Edited by j.o.i.n.t

@j.o.i.n.t I've got a variable background environment layout that changes every so often to another cool background, i've never had the same one twice cos there's thousands it goes through. Another thing ive found that i really like is a NightLight which dims the VDU according to sunrise and sunset times. It dims and goes a nice shaded orangey colour at night to stop your retinas and brin being fried from looking at a glaring bright screen for hours on end. I've found i've slept better since ive used it too.

you probably know all this anyway man.. Im always on the look out for new things to do with it because tbh sometimes i stare vacantly at the screen and think...Now what?

A unknown private actor controlled around 1/3rd of Tor exit nodes recently. Costs big big money to do that!

All you are doing by using Tor is making it more likely that that unknown private actor is watching what your doing rather than your ISP.

IF you want real killer internet stealth, hack your neighbours WIFI, pay for your VPN through the post and use a laptop that you never use for anything connected to your real identity. Keep the laptop off site when not in use and the only way it gets connected to you is if they catch you using it.

Edited by trees

@Barnes

Yeah, isn't it funny how WHITE really white things are when your eyes have adjusted to dusky pink/reddy, eh? :stoned:

Without a goal it is aimless, indeed - they need us to tell em what to do, stupid computers.

Another thing to consider is fingerprinting. Have a look at the website amiunique.org.

All that data is logged by the browser everytime you visit a webpage.

So if you are using Tor, and i have that fingerprint data logged and i suspect mr Barnes at X address is this person im interested in, getting fingerprint data from the ISP, then comparing it to the fingerprint data from Tor to prove that was you is simple.

So step 1 really has to be get off the computer you are currently using if you want plausible deniability.

Edited by trees