Mites!!

InMyPocket

So I have not been able to give my plants the best attention recently and have now seen I have mites. I don't know where they came from, never used to be there and I only ever grow from seed.

I am going to try diatomaceous earth. Having read a few things here people have used it for soil bugs but not so much foliage.  I know it works a treat on mites as I use it on the chickens and after the first use, it's basically a preventative as they never came back.

My plan is to wrap the root ball in some cling film, to keep it together. Taking the plants outside as I'm sure using it in the tent will destroy the filter, possibly the fans and my lungs. I have food grade DE. I will put the plants top first into a black bag with a handful of DE, seal around the pot and shake like fuckery.  It will get all the eggs and mites. 

I currently have 4 fems in veg, which I will defoliate and top as the neglect over the last few months has let them get quite big. I have no issues doing anything to these plants.  I also have 2 autos which are well into flower but about a month from being fully finished. My concern is ruining the buds, so will probably do a more targeted application on these as they are the least affected.

Just wanted to know if anybody has done similar? I will add some pics shortly 

What kind of mites? Most of them are harmless/beneficial. Get some pictures up if you're not sure what they are. If they are spider mites then I would recommend some predator mites like Phytoseiulus persimilis  you can buy them from dragonfli or gardening naturally. Just make sure you buy the correct ones, some are better for preventing infestation others for curing an established infestation. 

On plants in veg I use 6ml neem oil, 2ml sles27% and 1L of warm water sprayed to saturation of the whole plant every 3 days for 2 weeks.

• Like 1

It's quite likely too cold to buy predators effectively via mail order right now unfortunately, chances are they won't survive the journey.

:yinyang:

@BilgePump quite the opposite mate. In an ideal world they would be refrigerated during transport. 

It's why the better retailers of bioline(not dragonfli) send there predators out in an insulated box with an ice block inside.

• Like 3

@lildaveham I've been using lssystems they are a bit more expensive on p+p but I guess your paying for the ice pack etc. 

imo worth it depending on the order. It's not value if they bugs show up dead which with dragonfli I think some haven't been as active as they could have been. 

There's another firm which is the cheapest of the lot. I forget the name I beleive @buddy13 has used them? 

I'll be using lssystems for my next order tomorrow 

• Like 3

I have found a shop near me sells the Spider Mite Predators (phytoseiulus persimilis in a bottle. As I've got a few autos in flower and didnt abuse those with the defoilation or DE I think I will get some.

They are delivered to store on a weds, so should still be fresh today 

Edited by InMyPocket

agralan ltd

although they have been really slow this time round and comms haven't been the best, only half my order arrived but with no mention of the missing items....called them they said "yeah, they were out of stock but will be with you by next week"

still, half the price of dragonfli so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt till next time.....

• Like 2

I have found that soaking 2 x chopped onions, 2 x chopped bell peppers, a couple of chopped chillis, a couple of cloves of garlic and a teaspoon of washing up liquid in a couple of gallons of water for 24hrs, strain and spray.

hammers everything I’ve tried it on in 2-3 applications, stinks but really does work

seems to work even better after it’s been frozen, I’ve always got a couple of bottles in the freezer just incase

Edited by cypo74

1 hour ago, highgrower said:

If your trying home made solutions give this a go:

100% mate. I am probably about 2 or 3 weeks from finish line in my unknown cuts that were riddled with the fuckers. 1 Dose @ your mid point (was it 20ml per litre) used the humidifier to completely drench the tent ....Not a peep from any living thing in there since. Considering I fought these buggers all summer and they really won in the end Im calling your solution the winner and bloody hell you can't get much cheaper than Detol to be fair.

Some random shit shots of them from a week ago -

Considering these were alone for 3 weeks while i was stuck in Scotland - and a few issues that im sure slowed them down/stalled them (went a bit cold and half the leds stopped working for a time while i was away..) Id say they are doing well - certainly no bugs/mites.

large.61ee890f8fdd5_1643021386666(Medium).jpglarge.61ee890ed0fda_1643021386651(Medium).jpglarge.61ee890dd68c9_1643021386640(Medium).jpglarge.61ee890c411c3_1643021386624(Medium).jpglarge.61ee890b1ae3e_1643021386615(Medium).jpg

• Like 1