Greenhouse stealth tips + smell

moonharvester

Hi guys I tried the white paint which seems to be also good against of fungus.

Later in flower it got all messy and less translucent since I needed to spray because of the freaking borg.

Im wondering what is better to use and which offer better

I saw people are using milky white plastic on the sides, some people use milky foil applied to greenhouse windows, but this solution seems to block some of the UV.

I also saw people using bubble wrap, or that white netting/webbing thingy.

I dont have in mind that thing the cheaper hoop houses are made of (green net style foil), but I consider these greenhouses as an alternative option too.

However Im not sure, because from photos available they seem quite translucent.

Im wondering what you guys are using these days.

Im considering converting old barn, I want to remove some of the old roofing tiles and just leave the greenhouse in it and make some proper air filtration circulation

I was also considering getting one of that cheap ionizers and put it at the end of the exhaust in flower, or some kind of ozone cleaner instead of carbon filter.

I've grown under that woven green "rip stop" plastic , absolutely nothing wrong with it.

Canna did great, peppers did even better.

:yinyang:

• Like 2

17 hours ago, BilgePump said:

I've grown under that woven green "rip stop" plastic , absolutely nothing wrong with it.

Canna did great, peppers did even better.

you mean the basic cheap greenhouse right, is it visible what its in there or does the rip stop plastic kind of conceal shit a little?

By peppers you mean spraying with peppers? I used chemicals including abamectin, it only kicked back the mites very little.

I could barely see any webs from borg but the stunt in growth and sudden yellowing of leafs and falling of, then vitality came back after spraying.

How did you ventilated that greenhouse/hoophouse?

• Like 1

Yeah that's the stuff , comes on those Wendy house type pop up greenhouses you get in Wilko's etc .. I have it covering my 4x2m tunnel and yeah it's reasonably stealthy I got away with a few proper runs in it even though I'm overlooked by 3 storey blocks of flats on two sides up the garden, I had a spotter in a top flat , she said you can see there's a lot of plants in the tunnel but beyond that she couldn't tell what they were.

No , I wasn't spraying for Borg with pepper juice , just growing stupidly hot c.chinense crosses.

Spider mites are literally the worst, thankfully I've never had em outside, my garden is fairly balanced with predators.

Edited by BilgePump
ETA: ventilation was completely passive as the natural airflow is sufficient
  • Like 1

Just now, BilgePump said:

Yeah that's the stuff , comes on those Wendy house type pop up greenhouses you get in Wilko's etc .. I have it covering my 4x2m tunnel and yeah it's reasonably stealthy I got away with a few proper runs in it even though I'm overlooked by 3 storey blocks of flats on two sides up the garden, I had a spotter in a top flat , she said you can see there's a lot of plants in the tunnel but beyond that she couldn't tell what they were.

No , I wasn't spraying for Borg with pepper juice , just growing stupidly hot c.chinense crosses.

Spider mites are literally the worst, thankfully I've never had em outside, my garden is fairly balanced with predators.

Great so you bought that foil yourself and made your tunnel, I mostly saw it as a bundle (construction + foil) btw how do you handle air exchange there?

One of my biggest issues was that I only left air exchange to natural wind blowing through the opened windows, not much but better than nothing.

But one of my perennials got hit bad by the mites and I have suspicions that the borg came from chicken coop that my neighbor have nearby, those animals look anything but healthy

I love stupidly hot chilies too :D did you balanced your garden with predators or are you balancing it intentionally on regular basis ?

do you also do companion planting?

My garden is just balanced , I plant to attract beneficial creatures so yeah I guess in the broader the whole thing is companion planted aside from a few things I just keep for pleasure like leafy tropical type things and anything with doubled flowers.

True companion planting is also part of my armoury , basil to improve the flavour of tomatoes also marigolds and chrysanthemum are regular introductions around food crops to ward off or attract and occupy pests , I also have a decent naturalised population of nasturtium which keeps all my blackfly busy, plenty of verbena bonariensis for hoverflies (great little predators) etc etc , I don't weed either so there's plenty of early fodder for bees in the form of dandelions and grape hyacinth.

Tbh it's a bit of an overcrowded jungle , I work at a garden centre so I get plants given to me all the time , frost hasn't stopped my outdoor banana yet which is a little odd for mid January.

• Like 6

• 1 month later...

Planning a 1 plant auto this may in a Poly tent (first time grower, long time smoker). Going to be a hoot if it's colder than a witches tit outside mid may :pitchfork:

Get some peppers and lavender out and the peonies boutta look glorious come June (if we're not rimmed with bad temperatures...) 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Aphala said:

Planning a 1 plant auto this may in a Poly tent (first time grower, long time smoker). Going to be a hoot if it's colder than a witches tit outside mid may :pitchfork:

Get some peppers and lavender out and the peonies boutta look glorious come June (if we're not rimmed with bad temperatures...) 

I threw some out last may.... Despite the terrible weather I was smoking my own shit in August.... We are slaves to mother nature I'm afraid

• Like 1

Just now, Idicanna jones said:

I threw some out last may.... Despite the terrible weather I was smoking my own shit in August.... We are slaves to mother nature I'm afraid

Gives me hope for a niche wee harvest.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Stick a couple of large pots with normal legal plants in.

Place them outside the greenhouse where u need cover.

More eye catching the better most people wont look past the plants to what's inside the greenhouse.

I grew peas last year in 2 pots few stakes bit of net and they would be good cover plus u get to eat peas fresh from the pod.

• Like 1