Trichome chemical composition after over 8 months cure/storage

Amanojaku

Wondering if anyone has any insight on this pretty nerdy aspect of curing weed - the changes in chemical composition of the trichomes over long periods of time.

My meanderings online have led me to the conclusion THC always degrades to the much more sedative, fuzzy head, 'wrap you in cotton wool' effect causing molecule CBN. This is what you seek anyway when you let your trichomes amber up, as some of that oxidisation causes CBN manufacture, offsetting your sats with a more mellow underpinning, or further weaponising your indicas to be super stoney and couchlock. When it comes to terpenes over time, and with exposure to oxygen, I'm not sure about that. It's something I'm quite interested in. 

At the moment, I have run out of daytime smoke, which for me is always a sativa, with a little CBD bud mixed in. Hazes if I can get them, or have grown them. I do however have some pretty dried out Amherst Sour Diesel from around a year ago - in a kilner jar, with lots of air, so it's likely degraded a fair bit. I think the smoke is fairly smooth though, as it cured properly for months before the jar was half empty, at which point curing stops and the bud just starts to dry out (I think?).

So, if I smoke that stuff, will I still get a sativa effect? I doubt it. I'd expect a very mellow, if not thoroughly sedative, effect, because a lot of the THC will have degraded to CBN, and most of the uplifting pine terps will be gone. What are people's experience with this kind of thing? I see some members saying they are smoking on weed that's years old, and it's still good...perhaps (I'm assuming) they stored it well, making sure it was in an anaerobic environment in the dark the whole time, which I haven't with mine. Maybe that would prevent to much CBN manufacture and also protect the terp profile...

Any thoughts? Seeing as we're discovering that terpenes are so important for the effect (i.e whether it's a buzzy high, or a body stone) I'm intrigued about how terpenes alter over time too. But I actually imagine they mostly evaporate off or degrade into other compounds. I find all this stuff pretty interesting, though I appreciate it's a niche area of this hobby! :nerd:

• Like 1

I find indica ganj left to dry out in free air over months ends up like a resin buzz from days long gone. I'm talking when  it powders down when you crumble. I like it, although harsh, enough to source some local Lebanese seeds  and see if I can get that Leb smoke.... sweetish, thick, sulphury smell.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Frenchy cannoli was doing some interesting stuff with 'Trichome Research Initiative' test ageing flower and hash and see how they change overtime

“The cannabinoid transformations for d9 and THCV seem most interesting to me as they both appear only in the aged samples and seem to increase over time."

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Colakush said:

Frenchy cannoli was doing some interesting stuff with 'Trichome Research Initiative' test ageing flower and hash and see how they change overtime

“The cannabinoid transformations for d9 and THCV seem most interesting to me as they both appear only in the aged samples and seem to increase over time."

Huh, that's interesting! THCV is pretty stimulating, so would be working in the opposite way to CBN the molecule I understand THC degrades too. So much yet to learn about our fave plant :) 

• Like 2

i’m reading a Mel Frank growers guide at the mo and he has an excellent bit all about this in his book.. you can find a pdf online of the book iirc :stoned:  well worth a read :yep: @Amanojaku

Edited by twigs
  • Like 4

Just now, twigs said:

i’m reading a Mel Frank growers guide at the mo and he has an excellent bit all about this in his book.. you can find a pdf online of the book iirc :stoned:  well worth a read :yep: @Amanojaku

Wicked mate, will have a hunt for that! :nerd::yep:

• Like 1

Just now, Colakush said:

Aye @Amanojaku it really is an amazing plant . Looking forward to the day where you can test your own bud from home

Def mate, hopefully within the next decade! I'd love to easily be able to send bud Ive grown to a lab for a full rundown of cannabinoids, terpenes and other compounds :) Also to check for fungus etc. That'd be proper nifty. 

• Like 2

@Amanojaku  Terpenes n flavinoids is another 1 id love to know more about , blows my mind how different cannabis can smell so diverse . My ultimate flavour i want to find is a synthetic banana taste ... Like you get in sweeties and drinks . Would love that

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Amanojaku said:

Def mate, hopefully within the next decade! I'd love to easily be able to send bud Ive grown to a lab for a full rundown of cannabinoids, terpenes and other compounds :) Also to check for fungus etc. That'd be proper nifty. 

If you really do want to you van do it now if you want. There's several companies out there doing cannabinoid testing in the UK and lots in Spain etc

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Colakush said:

@Amanojaku  Terpenes n flavinoids is another 1 id love to know more about , blows my mind how different cannabis can smell so diverse . My ultimate flavour i want to find is a synthetic banana taste ... Like you get in sweeties and drinks . Would love that

you found many banana terps before? That's one I can't say I've come across, although I know there are strains like banana buttercup etc

Then there's the weirdo terps lol - dog shit, rotten meat etc. Kevin Jodrey seems to be on a mission to bring back rotten meat smelling weed or actual skunk spray smelling skunks from the 80s. Never come across those either...and not much bothered if I don't ever, really, haha

5 hours ago, blackpoolbouncer said:

If you really do want to you van do it now if you want. There's several companies out there doing cannabinoid testing in the UK and lots in Spain etc

Yes mate, I have seen a few around, but seems hard to verify how legit they would be -  surely they're not really doing the testing in lab conditions? How equipped are they? Def intrigued, but a legit market would make that kind of thing easier to trust

• Like 1

@Amanojaku  nah ive not tried any that smell even close to banana would love to have a plant like that!   Kevin jodrey has crazy amounts of knowledge , i search him up all the time hoping to find new content . I think ill pass on all   the rotten smelling strains i remember my mate buying a bit of power africa before n i had to move it away from me n jar it as it was making me feel sick lol

• Like 1

On 04/02/2022 at 1:51 PM, Amanojaku said:

Yes mate, I have seen a few around, but seems hard to verify how legit they would be -  surely they're not really doing the testing in lab conditions? How equipped are they? Def intrigued, but a legit market would make that kind of thing easier to trust

The small hippy collective that I belong to, where we share each others finds and wares - the guy who runs it has purchased something called a Purpl_Pro 

I can never remember the site rules about links to exterior sites, so I won't post the link, but it's easy enough to find. He says it's as accurate as the results when sending the product off to a lab in Spain.

• Like 1

On 04/02/2022 at 7:26 PM, Colakush said:

@Amanojaku  nah ive not tried any that smell even close to banana would love to have a plant like that!   Kevin jodrey has crazy amounts of knowledge , i search him up all the time hoping to find new content . I think ill pass on all   the rotten smelling strains i remember my mate buying a bit of power africa before n i had to move it away from me n jar it as it was making me feel sick lol

Haha, maybe someone else on here can enlighten us on what the attraction is to those kind of pongs! lol 

And yeah Kevin Jodrey and all those West Coast guys are always interesting to listen too :nerd: