Need advice on fire protection

frank0420

Hi guys

So I have built a small lung room in the loft 4x4x5ft tall, this box is made from 12mm plywood and covered with 50mm insulation board. Inside this will be sitting a 60x60x140 hydro tent with a Mars Hydro 4 Inch Inline Duct Fan and Carbon Filter Combo With Speed Controller. This will be sitting outside. Air intake coming from below hot press. Lighting will be a Mars Hydro TS 1000W LED. Now since its in the cold loft I will be using a small Sunhouse/ Greenhouse  SHTTH2 Tubular Heater, 80 Watt. Im getting worried about any fire hazards know so please let me know if you have any tips or advice on how I can keep it all safe. Thanks.

Edited by frank0420

I have a couple of elide fire protection balls.

Fire melts them.and they burst spreading fire extinguishing dust .

When i first got them I used to have nightmares about hot summers in the loft as at gets REALLY hot up there but they've been sound.

Then I have a standard fire extinguisher but likelihood is you are not going to be present for any problems...

I've never had any issues in 16yrs.

My advice is dont buy cheap shit for your growroom.

I've had a couple of small fans pack up over the years and emit an electrical smell...thats as close as ive been.

Oh...and once I bugbombed the loft,not realising how much 'smoke they let off!! It was coming out from the slates even though it's all boarded etc and i spent a few hrs expecting a fire engine to turn up lol

It's every growers biggest fear...probably up there with the door coming off.

Those balls do help me sleep soundly!

• Like 8

Just now, stu sleeper 20vt said:

When i first got them I used to have nightmares about hot summers in the loft as at gets REALLY hot up there but they've been sound.

Then I have a standard fire extinguisher but likelihood is you are not going to be present for any problems...

I've had a couple of small fans pack up over the years and emit an electrical smell...thats as close as ive been.

Oh...and once I bugbombed the loft,not realising how much 'smoke they let off!! It was coming out from the slates even though it's all boarded etc and i spent a few hrs expecting a fire engine to turn up lol

that would scare me lol must have been really Smokey haha 

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, stu sleeper 20vt said:

@stu sleeper 20vt

Hey thanks for the advice, I will definitely look into that ball thingy. I have been looking all day for a good 6" fan and keep getting mixed reviews and saw a video of an oscillating fan burning a tent out.. can I ask what ones do you use in the tent?

One more thing my loft has a light and socket in it and this is running of the "lights" circuit for the whole house. Im not a spark but would this be a safe circuit for running my equipment in the loft?

I run a pedestal fan now mate.think I went to Currys or somewhere and found the heaviest feeling metal bladed one.

Allthough it seems overkill Id rather give up a little space for the piece of mind.

I did like a 'tower fan I had had it on its side hanging on bungees..cant recall why I changed from that?it didnt try to burn my house down though lol

I think ive tried most smaller clip on types and non inspire me with confidence  lol

Even paying £30 for a 'monkey clip on' after about 8mnth I had a power cut for a few minutes and it wouldn't re-start!!

As for the power supply mate,I'm no sparky.i run an extension up inside a built in wardrobe to my loft to run the light and run ancilliries off the socket allready up there.

I had the house rewired when I moved in so i know the wiring is sound.

I'm not sure if there is a difference between a socket circuit and a lighting circuit. 

I'm sure someone more qualified will help

Edited by stu sleeper 20vt
  • Like 1

i aint a sparky, but i will tell you now there is a big difference between lighting circuits and power sockets.

power sockets have earth - lighting not necessarily, and power is totally different. sockets can easily see 1000w or even 2000w in an electric fire and will run 13A fuses. ceiling lights expect much lower currents.

i am sure a sparky will be on to confirm.

but yes, most important is new electrical board with individual circuit breakers and RCUs.

also get all the loft circuitry checked for rodent damage etc if you are going to be using that.

i like the elide balls, but prevention is better than mitigation.

FIre triangle = oxygen, fuel, ignition.

Ignition  good components and no water.

fuel = fire retardant materials and fire insulation. 50mm of rockwool will keep it snug and go a long way to stopping fires spreading. Think about where the fire might start and what it might spread too.

an alarm.

oxygen - not so much you can do. fire dampers arent really a thing in a tent.

• Like 2

Just now, Newcouch said:

oxygen - not so much you can do. fire dampers arent really a thing in a tent

The biggest fire issue us growers have is a big old fan constantly drawing fresh air into our space I've seen temperature dependent cut offs before now so you could potentially wire something up to cut your extraction at a certain temp say ~100c  that way you know it's probably a fire or the apocalypse either way your crop is long fucked and keeping your extraction on isn't going to save it lol

E2A ~100c is also the temp most automatic fire extinguishers go off if I remember correctly.

Edited by NezA
  • Like 1

Be careful with picking the fire protection balls as I've seen on YouTube the cheap ones that a lot of people seem to buy act more like an fire accelerate than a extinguisher.

Edited by Military Grade
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Military Grade said:

Be careful with picking the fire protection balls as I've seen on YouTube the cheap ones that a lot of people seem to buy act more like an fire accelerate than a extinguisher.

Can you link me to these vids please mate

10 minutes ago, stu sleeper 20vt said:

Can you link me to these vids please mate

@stu sleeper 20vt

Edited by frank0420
  • Like 5

The 2 main things I have for safety are 3 inter linked fire alarms from wich one is hanging in de grow room up the loft , one in the hall to the bedroom and one in the bedroom close to my bed. If one goes off they all do , ye might go out for a drink or smoke to much green(or both)and not hear the one on the loft so this way yer sure you will. 

the other thing is a powdered fire extinguisher. 

most of my equipment has been running for 5 years without any problems.

Also if ye don’t have one already get a contactor relay! GL!:hippy:

Edited by CannaKay
Spelling
  • Like 1

I use the Fire Blitz Automatic fire extinguisher. It's the size of a regular small extinguisher and holds a lot more powder than those balls. Of  course I have a regular one and smoke alarms too.

• Like 2