Recycled paper fiber

Hi guys,

Just stumbled upon a video on shittube and then dug a bit deeper about recycled paper (cellulosic fibers) fiber composts or even soils.

Apparently, it's a breakthrough and efficient way to substitute peat moss and reduce paper waste. 

I found just one recipe  

1/3 paper or cellulosic fibers

1/3 compost/vermicompost

1/3 rice hulls.

I am far far the biology and thinking if GURUS could shed the light how it can be done IF it can be done then peat moss problem and paper waste can be reduced. 

WIN WIN situation.

I can't give useful info on the question mate but by now I've got an awful lot of cardboard in my soil, I'd say the worm bin is 50/50 cardboard/fruit and veg waste.  My original base mix was with coco, which was over a year ago and I've not added more coco.  I'd be interested to know if it could replace coco / peat altogether eventually.

13 hours ago, LWD said:

I can't give useful info on the question mate but by now I've got an awful lot of cardboard in my soil, I'd say the worm bin is 50/50 cardboard/fruit and veg waste.  My original base mix was with coco, which was over a year ago and I've not added more coco.  I'd be interested to know if it could replace coco / peat altogether eventually.

Thanks for answering, mate. Found commercial Yankee company doing this types of composts .. called pittmoss ... Worth to check them out on Shittube.

All the paper is is essentially bedding/food for worms.

At which point your just left with rice hulls and compost.

Paper is an ingredients of compost not a medium on its own. The only way carbon based medium ie paper cans stay in its paper form is if the magic threshold of 30:1 c/n ratio isn't broken. As soon as you've got a bit of nitrogen there that paper will start composting. 

Edited by blackpoolbouncer
  • Like 2

The other worrying thing is a question of if all the printing residue has been removed, if not ink residue, may be removal solvent.

You are potentially putting toxins straight in your pot.

This is just my stoned mind no science.