Extraction help…

Whambud

Hi guys,

got a loft I want to use and I’ve never used one as a space before… I was thinking to cut the black tarp like material and blow air outside through it on one side and suck air in through the other side… I can move the tiles they won’t budge. Will this do? I’ll get some pics in a few days.

also just in case your wondering I’m going to be stapling the entire loft with white plastic and covering the floor instead of using tents due to how the roof trusses are set out.

cheers any help would be much appreciated! Not use to working in lofts

• Like 1

Temp extremes are the main problem with lofts so I'd recommend insulating whatever space you need to grow.

This will help keep things more stable, draw cold air in from outside in summer, from inside the house in winter.

It will also help to soundproof from the rest of the house. Not sure where you'd extract to, someone will know the best way.

I grow in the shed and have similar temp issues to deal with and this method works for me.

Good Luck

• Like 1

Just now, stu914 said:

Temp extremes are the main problem with lofts so I'd recommend insulating whatever space you need to grow.

This will help keep things more stable, draw cold air in from outside in summer, from inside the house in winter.

Ye definitely would be useful to be able to switch intake for outake in Winter and vice versa. I'd take it into account and build it that way.

Can't help much with best isolation but there was a great thread recently about the subject if someone can link

• Like 2

1 hour ago, stu914 said:

It will also help to soundproof from the rest of the house. Not sure where you'd extract to, someone will know the best way.

I grow in the shed and have similar temp issues to deal with and this method works for me.

Good Luck

Hi mate,

probably going to insulate the walls… floors are done then stick up some white plastic then tarp the floor… basically turn the loft into a big tent.

got some heaters for night temps

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Herbal Kint said:

Ye definitely would be useful to be able to switch intake for outake in Winter and vice versa. I'd take it into account and build it that way.

Can't help much with best isolation but there was a great thread recently about the subject if someone can link

I can insulate but putting up plaster board would just be too much… I have a few isomax fans and an acoustic box… acoustic ducting… fingers crossed that will do.

2 hours ago, baked bean said:

I wouldn't cut the membrain on the roof mate I would go to the eaves for air in and out 

they have been cut already… basically a guys done it there before but he’s no longer around quite literally. So I’ve got two holes in the floor board and cut membrane with expanding foam marks I’d imagine this is where he was extracting/intaking.

So yeah scratching my head at the moment need to figure out the best move. As far as my intake and outtake 

will get some pics of the space over soon

• Like 2

Hi never done a loft grow before because I haven’t got one lol but I’m a bricklayer and can recommend celotex insulation it’s the boarded stuff as the rockwool stuff is to flexible and will leave fibres in the air.

46 minutes ago, Heisenberg91 said:

Hi never done a loft grow before because I haven’t got one lol but I’m a bricklayer and can recommend celotex insulation it’s the boarded stuff as the rockwool stuff is to flexible and will leave fibres in the air.

Mate the loft Access is tiny… won’t be able to use plaster board or nothing all I can do is insulate and staple plastic over it 

Seems like my only option at the moment 

It’s not plaster board it’s insulation and it comes in small enough sheets you would be able to slide it through the hatch 

• Like 1