I’ve just flowered my mums

Whatwentwrong

@Al Swearengen 1l is fine. Some of my mums in there are in 1l. Some are 0.3l. Some are 0.5.

I'd struggle I'd they were all 1l pots because that would leave little surface for the composting process to take place. 

Same can be achieved using standard compost but obviously you still have to feed like normal mums. In that instance it acts like typical ring culture and the extra compost just acts as a water reserve. The beauty of the no till is it feeds itself.

No issues with any rot or anything

I dont have any extraction on for my mums. No fan or anything or even a tent. They are just sat there in the lung room with my 8 bar t5 over them 

• Like 4
On 13/01/2022 at 7:07 AM, blackpoolbouncer said:

Few days of hormonal confusion and they will right themselves.

Have you got your mums usung ring culture set up like mine? Be interested to see how others get on with the tec.

Must be over 6 months in with mine now on plain water and nothing but hair cuts.

In hindsight I'm not sure if the ring culture is necessary. Can see them staying happy almost indefinitely but having the pots does give the nice option of easy removal and reset of anything fungal or pathogenic turns up

no mate, I just stuck five plants in a big pot so it’s more like a herb garden, just snip off what I need.

it is getting big though, I was gathering mums together to hit with some in-house genetics slurmints pollen when I crack them so I could have some nice free seeds to last. Then S1 the mums but with others in the drobe too to kind of cross pollinate a bit.

I didn’t really read through the whole thread, some one mentioned you did it and then I saw you say how much easier it was and the mums I had were really ill. Three days after the pot up they turned right around.

I may just take new cuttings from this pot and try again the way you suggest as it sounds like they’ll be far more manageable that way. Then Flower this pot out.

I didn’t  want to lose my candy dawg and rainbow road mums as I had effort to get them and they are really nice weeds so any idea to help them was worth a go and it was a good idea.

if all goes well I may not need to keep mums after a year and I can stop the seed buying as well. I managed to get some jelly rancher seeds so if I can find some really nice mums to s1 out of the current collection then I should be ok just missing cola cube now lol 

• Like 1

@Whatwentwrong fwiw I binned Cola cubez. Lovely taste but a shit plant to grow. I never even bothered to run it. 

There's talk of a cut called choka Cola cut which sounds promising, I'll wait to see it grown out by someone I know before I entertain it.

If its good ill be all over that 

How do you mean not have to keep mums? 

Perpetual cycle of cuttings for each grow? 

5 hours ago, blackpoolbouncer said:

How do you mean not have to keep mums? 

Perpetual cycle of cuttings for each grow? 

If I can s1 the plants then although they won’t be identical I should get close results from the seeds shouldnt I.

i know it’s not guaranteed but keeping mums seems to be a job all on its own. 

I’ve been getting some reg seeds so hopefully I can get a dad especially from the slur mints.

the mums will be:

jelly rancher

candy dawg

cookie and cream

rainbow road

twisted velvet breath

gelato tree

do si do

and a slurmints mum.

I also have two packs of mixed in-house regs which was going to be cross polinsted together too.

hopefully this should set me up for life especially if I can s1 some of the mums like the candy dawg and rainbow (the two I only got 1 seed out of the packs to grow, they were nice enough for the effort mind) reduce the number of lights on each time too 

5 hours ago, blackpoolbouncer said:

fwiw I binned Cola cubez. Lovely taste but a shit plant to grow. I never even bothered to run it. 

I’ve found that with plants with watermelon in them.

watermelon punch and watermelon wedding cake are the two I’ve ran and both looked good as they grew, tasted of watermelon but dried into the larfiest weed ever. Loose crap but did taste nice. 

1 hour ago, Whatwentwrong said:

If I can s1 the plants then although they won’t be identical I should get close results from the seeds shouldnt I.

i know it’s not guaranteed but keeping mums seems to be a job all on its own. 

Point A. If only it was that easy. Some strains you will get good representations and others a hotchpotch potch. S1's are no guarantee you will find a plant that's the same as the mum particularly if the s1 is of unstable lineage. That's not to say there's not a possibility you will find something better than the mum.

S1's like any other seeds are for looking for sports, not expecting copy's of the parents from every seed. 

You could s2 etc but with that carries its own risks. 

There aren't any shortcuts to what your expecting other than keeping a mum otherwise nobody woukd keep clones. You could run a million s1 seeds of a certain sport and never find what your looking for because the recombination of dominant recessive etc genes won't ever allow it. 

Point B. It is and it's part of keeping intact genetics alive that are worth keeping alive for decades in some cases. 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, blackpoolbouncer said:

Point B. It is and it's part of keeping intact genetics alive that are worth keeping alive for decades in some cases. 

sound, it’s only really the candy dawg I’m after, the others are still available and will be for years I expect. The photo period candy dawg is not on the site anymore and nothing has ever smelt more of ice cream, not even bought ice cream cake in a Cali pack. That was vanilla ish but had more of a weed taste to it, this is just vanilla ice cream. This is the one I wanted to s1 the most and use its pollen to cross with the others to get some fems.

the rainbow road was frustrating because two seeds failed and one auto flowered. So keeping a mum was easier, I only wanted this one to breed with as the flower structure was beautiful but the taste is a bit all over. Sometimes strawberry sativa, sometimes Hindu Kush but most the time it tastes like someone crossed strawberry sativa with Hindu Kush. Not really a matching flavour profile. Can taste of imperial leather hand soap at times but she yielded well and is quite potent so thought it should be a good mum.

i need to go back to two layers in the small drobe but the electricity cost meant I needed to drop a light and that is why I was thinking of going seed only in the future after creating my own crosses.

the idea that; if all mum plants are good plants then the resulting off spring should be good too. But we both know that’s bollocks.

Maybe switch to two 60w lights instead of the 1 x 120w and get the levels back so keeping mums doesn’t take up needed space or too much cost

Edited by Whatwentwrong