Regular seed ratio

LoveBudd

I always noticed about a 70/30 split female to male but at the end of the day just planted double the amount of seeds just to make sure 

• Like 5

@LoveBudd

For whatever it's worth to you--   I gave up on Fems and Autos recently, too.  It doesn't have anything to do with yield or quality, though.  I actually found some pretty good fem seeds.  The last thing I grew to completion was a fem Purple Punch seed, and it was pretty good dope.  Unique smell and flavor, good stone etc.   But I don't trust it.

I gave up on Fem and Auto because a good deal ( or all) that I encountered didn't strike me as trustworthy.  I grew out Fem "Mexican Haze" that was 2ft tall when it finished and had very broad leaves.  The stone was dumb and asleep.  That doesn't sound like any "haze" I've ever heard of.   Same deal with Durban Poison.  Big, fat wide leaves, plant finished at 3' tall indoors in a 5 gallon bucket.  Again, not very "sativa."

I gave up on them because everywhere I sourced them, I feel as though the name and description attached to them was bullshit. I gather that a lot of seeds sold at the big online, mial order seed banks are from big seed making operations in Spain?  That gives a lot more opportunity for poor quality work with low integrity. I have no doubt that there are high quality auto and selfed seeds, but they're expensive in my searches.  I will not pay $200us (150gbp) for a pack of 10 seeds.  Not gonna happen.  So I've switched to regs from humans that have a reputation or an association within the community.  I'm nobody and I know no one, so I have to try and connect the dots.   FDM is a good example.  I became aware of them through this site and started to research.  The proprietor of FDM seeds sells his wares here and has also been a site member for some time.  You can go back and read his posts.  Ok, so it's a human that can be reached, you can read about the development work he has done, you can see others experiences with his seeds.  The seeds are reasonably priced.  Good deal, all criteria met. 

Sub seeds are another great example.  It's very easy to positively validate what the seeds are, how they were made, what they contain and how to best grow them.  The human that made them is a private message away, in most cases, with sub seeds.   Very easy to gain knowledge and about as trustworthy as doing this sorta thing on the internet can be. 

Just my two cents.  I don't know much of anything, but I know I don't trust most folks who are retailing a hype driven product, on the internet only, with instagram being a major focus for marketing.  There are no opportunities for them to stand in front of real people and defend their products.  It's easy to wiggle out of responsibility for poor work on the internet. At least on a forum-platform there is an opportunity for lengthy discourse.  You can argue intelligently and point-counter point on this platform.  Instagram might as well just be a bunch of dick-riders drooling over one photo of a plant that was discovered in a field of 1000.  Queue up the likes and all the " SicK BuDZ BrO!" comments and the hype seed company is off to the races.  Cash in on the hype, wait for it to fizzle, have the next fancy photo ready to post to start the new hype all over again. Call the strain " Super Dookie Sticky Purple Nipple Twister" or whatever. Lather, rinse, repeat once a month or whatever and you're insta-rich selling seeds to farmers and home growers. 

I'm probably overly paranoid, but maybe not?

• Like 5

@Cajafiesta I'm pretty much finding the outcome of  autos not being as described. Have been doing them solidly for a couple of years. They smoke ok, although not great. Nothing like I remember doing regs in the 90's. I think the relatively  poor output of autos may be down to breeders not considering the total genetic input of the Ruderalis, and just assuming they provide the auto feature.... which is all they are good for, and maybe mould resistance.

I might stick a fem in next year but have focused on buying regs this time from as close to a known individual, like 'shantibaba' and Mack Anderson (Emerald Mountain) as I can. I also have a few UK420 (thanks lads) and FDM seeds as well. It's my view now that if a 'breeder' has dozens of strains, I'm out. I don't think one can develop/maintain that many with any conviction at once. All many outlets are doing now is spraying an ethylene blocker on somebody elses lastest-greatest fem and selling them, with no filtering out hermies or weeding out undesirable recessive traits, which will be legion in unfiltered selfed strains.... Gorilla #4 is one I've bought recently without knowing and understanding the hermie-prone nature of it first. Got sold on a picture. Live and learn... at least I didn't pop them. :) 

Edited by catweazle1
  • Like 3