RSO oil solution needed

CannaKay

Hi all , 

got a bit of a problem I’ve been braking my brains over the last few days.

My wife’s dad has cancer and needs RSO oil , It’s harvest time and I’ll soon have about 20 to 25 ounce of bud that I’m gonna turn into oil.

I’ve been making this oil for years but never on such a big scale.

Got everything I need apart from a 10 x 10 meter pyrex dish lol 

How the f*ck am a gonna evaporate the amount of iso it takes to soak up at least a half kilo a buds? 

I get that I’m gonna have to do it in parts but the only thing a have is a 30 x 30 cm square pyrex dish. 

What do I do , get ? 
suggestions very welcome :hippy:

• Like 2

Sorry to hear your news.

I would do it in batches that are about twice or four times what you're use to. Bigger amounts can get dangerous when you're boiling off ISO. For a big amount I would want to get a rotating vacuum boiler. Under vacuum, ISO boils off at around room temperature so it's a lot safer to operate and you can reclaim it to use it afterwards. I've not used a rotating boiler before but I would get one for the larger amount you're talking about. If that sounds crazy, just get a bigger pan than you're use to, or if you don't fill it, get to batching'!

Sitting the dish in hot water will boil off the ISO pretty quickly and you can scrape and use it for another batch etc.

• Like 2

@CannaKay

Sorry to hear your news :yinyang:

Some folks use a rice cooker for bigger amounts of iso. I also would like to stress that any method of evaporating the iso off must be done outside. The best method would be a double boiler and you could use a rice cooker for this. 

There is a thread on rice cookers here that may help

:yinyang:

• Like 8

Airstill's work well with 4ltr a go seals Crap though (i strap the top down to avoid weeping iso when i have tried this) otherwise as above rice cooker for a ltr or 2 at a time outdoors only!!!!

Edited by Personunknown
  • Like 1
On 29/12/2021 at 0:57 AM, CannaKay said:

I’ve been making this oil for years

Kudos to you for being able to do this. Respect.

If you haven’t cropped yet maybe it’s worth considering cropping just a 1/4 of your plants due to immediacy of your situation and leaving the others to go another week under 12/12 lights. It will affect your total oil return positively imo.

As already said by others, make in batches and evaporate using a rice cooker (OUTSIDE) is the best way to go. Standard pyrex bowls or jugs help, as do glass milk bottles for collecting after filtering, if you’re searching around for suitable aparatus.

Personally I prefer Acetone as solvent over ISO. It evaporates faster and smells less disgusting when in the rice cooker, outside. 99.9 % pure works best.

Good luck to all invloved, in particular your father-in-law. :yinyang:

Take a look at Jeff’s instructional vid in my sig.

e2a a cheap coffee percolator with glass jug and hotplate can also be a handy bit of kit when in the final purge stages. Outside.

Edited by bartman
  • Like 5
3 hours ago, Personunknown said:

I was lucky i was not that close till i put it out , flames /fire to heat alcohol is stupid to suggest on here imho :unsure::yinyang:

Fair enough. It doesn’t scare me, personally, at all. I wouldn’t think twice about using the method I suggested. But I suppose I’m considering it from my perspective and not others. I would have the forethought to execute something like that outdoors, with a good buffer around the flame source, a fan blowing vapors up and away from the top of the pot and flame source, and an adequately sized c02 extinguisher and a water source in case of grass/leaf fire. It’s just a bigger version of a flambé ala Bananas Foster etc.   I can see your point, though. Likely everyone wouldn’t take the same considerations .

a big vacuum chamber is probably the only death-proof solution to do it all at once. 

• Like 3

Yeah I gotta agree with everyone who has pointed out that evaporating alcohol using a naked flame heat source is a really really bad idea. 

Please don't take offense @Cajafiesta i get what you're saying that theirs "safer(ish)" ways it could be done but really speaking none of them are safe enough that I would advocate using them to anyone here.  It's really not a good look for the site if someone were to follow a guide from here and it ended in some sort of accident or injury.  And not good for the cannabis community in general. We get a bad enough rep from some quarters already. 

I know you aren't daft and fully appreciate the dangers as that is evident from your post. And I know that the suggestion was made with the best of intentions and an honest desire to help. Which is why I wanted to explain before I deleted your initial post in this thread.  

Again please don't take offense but I just can't, in good conscience, take the chance on someone getting hurt following advice given out on the forum. 

Regards Dodge

• Like 6

@CannaKay 

I have in the past used a slow cooker to evaporate large amounts of alcohol. 

Outside obviously. The low setting is adequate to boil the solution down to a volume more suited to your usual methods of evaporation.  

It's important not to leave unsupervised as a friend once found out. 

To keep the amounts to the minimum break the material into 4-5oz portions and wash one portion at a time using the same couple of litres of alcohol and keep the filtered material after each wash for a second or even third wash with fresh alcohol.  No need for coffee filtering between each wash, just a coarse filter to remove the bulk of the plant matter is all that's required a few floaters aren't an issue at this point.  

You can filter it properly after the last wash.  

Hope this helps.

• Like 4

@Dodgee no offense taken. You’re doing your job. I get where you’re coming from, and it’s a fair point. There have certainly been other instances in life where I’ve assumed others understand the idiosyncrasies of a situation simply because I do. Thanks for the explanation. Mighty considerate of you. 

best of luck to OP in helping your father-in-law.

• Like 3

Safety first especially with alcohol or butane. Recall the 1st rumour about Grenfell was some guy was making oil... There was a lad not far from my dad's house in Scotland who actually blew up to the point of demolition his small block of council flats making some using butane. 

Do it outside...get that summer marquee out and the neighbours will just assume you have lock down fever...

• Like 4