Average % of return on Bubble Hash

Cajafiesta

Hello all,

I recently tried my hand at using a set of bubble bags (again.)  I've done it once before, but I can't recall what the end result was.  I believe I collected the resin heads and then failed to press/manipulate and cure them. 

That was several years ago. 

I've got myself another set of bags and went to running a mix of trim and subpar bud. 

The return I got was what I would consider to be miniscule.  I didn't weight my starting material, but I'd guess that it was something like 2oz of bud and another 2oz of fresh frozen trim. 

My total yield was something like 1g of resin heads from 4 oz of material, collected and weighed after drying for a day.   I'll fully admit that some of the material was total junk.  It hardly got you high when smoked in joint form.   Even then, it strikes me as a pretty sub-par yield.

Am I being overly hopeful in my assumption of % yield?  I would expect to see more than 1g of total product from 4oz of trim.

I realize that selecting an appropriate strain plays a big part.  The next time I'll run something with great resin production.  These strains were, obviously, not great.

Am I way off of what y'all would expect to yield from that quantity of starting material, even if it's shitty material?  I verified there aren't any "mechanical" issues.  The water, after the 25u bag comes out of the bucket, is tinted slightly green, but has no particulate in it.  The bags don't have holes, and I don't think I'm missing any steps.

Starting material agitated by hand ( not using the drill and paint mixer method) for approximately 15 mins per run.  A total of 3 runs yielded one gram of hash total, that's with different microns combined. 

Anyone have any input?

Edited by Cajafiesta
  • Like 1

you are right.  you should get more like 5-12g from 4oz of bud and trim.  But i use the drill.  5min of mixing with the drill and then i let it sit for another 5min.  I repeat that process about 3-5 times. Before sieving, i let it sit for another 10 minutes. ;)

• Like 2

Thanks for the input. 

Perhaps better mechanical agitation would assist. 

im inclined to believe the biggest factor was half of the material being, visually, void of trichomes. Literally none visible when breaking open the buds. 

I’ll give the drill method a shot next time. Maybe that will assist along with running material that isn’t junk. 

it sorta stands to reason that, if you wanna make hash, you should probably start off with material that’s worth smoking in the first place.

for whatever it’s worth, the hash doesn’t suck. It’s not insta-dumb, asleep in 15 mins stuff, but it adds a very perceivable level of potency to the shitty weed I have kicking around right now when rolled into a small snake and put in a joint. I’d say 0.05g in a joint makes a noticeable increase in potency of a joint. 

Edited by Cajafiesta
  • Like 2