Hemp Shiv

dantheman8

So ive brought some hemp shiv to use as a mulch layer to stop my soil drying out so quickly. Im following the 5/10% max watering of the pot size starting with 5% and adding more if required however since the hemp shiv has been placed I feel that the 5/10% isnt enough. I feel as though the hemp shiv is actually holding some of the water. Any advice on if I should slightly increase the amount I water. Im in 20l fabric pots using biobizz light mix using Dr Forests 444 and 284. 

I thought the rule of thumb was to water with 1/3 of the pots volume so in a 20l pot you would need to water about 6.5l for full saturation. 

The hep shiv will stop the surface water from naturally evaporating as much but doesn’t “hold much water in my experience.

:yinyang:

Well ive been watching alot of build a soil recently and he goes on about the 5/10% ratio so I was trying that this time around. My last run I ran 25% of the pot and I was happy with the end product. Ive seen so many differing opinions on this and yours is another differing one still. Ive ran 5% this time and used a moisture meter its always been in the perfect zone however ive since added the mulch.  

I don't want to sound like an idiot but probably will... Here goes anyway...

Can I just run stems and stalks through my impact shredder and use that rather than buying shiv? 

:yinyang:

Edited by BilgePump
Can't type for shit.

@BilgePump sure thing buddy

I dont even bother shredding them. Just give em a rough snip with the secateurs and chuck it on top. It soon goes, especially mixed with a sprinkling of compost or any finer mulch. 

I just chuck it all back on.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

BTW 5/10% watering is absolutley enough, the hemp shiv is keeping my pots at a consistent moisture level for around 18 hours longer. Fantastic addition 

• Like 1