Smell in Jar V Smell in Bag

Moppy

Sorry if this has been stated previously but can anyone please explain the following:

I can have a few ounces stored in a Kilna jar, open the jar and no real smell of anything nice. But, I can take a few grams out, stick them in a plastic "baggy" or one of those little plastic pots with the "pop top" that you squeeze to pop open, and it stinks the place out (with a mouthwatering smell). I can't believe it is down to breaking the trichomes etc as I handle very carefully and can leave the bag or pot for days and it still stinks. Is it something to do with CO2 or O2 levels? 

Would love to understand what is going on here.

Any insights, opinions, or even guesses are most welcome...

Happy Xmas everyone

• Like 1

A mate says similar he prefers to store his stuff in a plastic bag and puts that in a bucket with a lid. His more like a Jesse Pinkman “yeah science” type of bloke lol . He just says his stuff smells better for it cause it sweats out in the plastic? No idea but he always has decent smelling stuff most of the time.

• Like 1

Guest anarchycamp
2 hours ago, stummer said:

A mate says similar he prefers to store his stuff in a plastic bag and puts that in a bucket with a lid. His more like a Jesse Pinkman “yeah science” type of bloke lol . He just says his stuff smells better for it cause it sweats out in the plastic? No idea but he always has decent smelling stuff most of the time.

My trim always smells better stored in a food container than the buds in glass jars. Always then goes in a bucket with lid.  

Currently putting it in with dealer weed..

I do find they smell a lot better when they're vacuum packed rather than stored in jars. The plastic I use is food approved (it's for sous vide cooking I believe). 

• Like 5

Ahh the good old days of getting vacuum packed ami. Beautiful to cut it open and be hit by the smell. Tbh I have always kept mine in jars and when found a good pheno been happy with the smell.

• Like 1

Just now, KC said:

I do find they smell a lot better when they're vacuum packed rather than stored in jars. The plastic I use is food approved (it's for sous vide cooking I believe). 

What's your thoughts as to why you see what you describe here? Is it down to Carbon Dioxide or Oxygen levels?

1 hour ago, anarchycamp said:

My trim always smells better stored in a food container than the buds in glass jars. Always then goes in a bucket with lid.  

Currently putting it in with dealer weed..

I have noticed that the trim can smell better sometimes - thought I was going mad, lol

5 hours ago, Moppy said:

Would love to understand what is going on here.

As a guess, I'd say the few oz's in jars wasn't dried perfectly, i.e, too fast/warm/short. Open one of my jars and the whole house reeks of nice terps unleashed! As for your 'baggie' making the herb smell stronger/better, is it possible the previous contents in the 'baggie' was dealer bought skunk, therefore still reeks of that? :yep:

Just now, Slippy One said:

As a guess, I'd say the few oz's in jars wasn't dried perfectly, i.e, too fast/warm/short. Open one of my jars and the whole house reeks of nice terps unleashed! As for your 'baggie' making the herb smell stronger/better, is it possible the previous contents in the 'baggie' was dealer bought skunk, therefore still reeks of that? :yep:

No mate, because the "baggie" is unused, and the stuff is taken straight from jar to bag. Thanks for your insight but this impossible to be the case in my situation

Is assume its keeping the oxygen away when you vac it. 

Bit yeah even in a normal plastic bag I've noticed weed has cured up nice. Weird :unsure:

On 24/12/2021 at 0:04 PM, Moppy said:

What's your thoughts as to why you see what you describe here? Is it down to Carbon Dioxide or Oxygen levels?

In a vacuum, the potential for evaporation of the volatiles into the voids will be greater... something to do with vapour pressure