My oil is strange

Whatwentwrong

The honey oil I’ve made myself looks more like toffee than oil.

large.9E444050-F6DA-4433-A741-AE3C49B87915.jpeglarge.34671119-9555-4805-A7C0-43CF63E9478C.png

there is a little bit of leaf in it from making it with a Cafetière but I would of expected it to be runnier kind of.

when I’ve made it before it has been a nice light brown really like honey.and although it was stiff it would melt in your pocket or hand. Seems odd, I doubt I could use a wax liquidizer on it.

i purged as much butane out with hot water. You could pick this one up in your hand.

• Like 1

I’ve ran butane a couple times and had varying consistencies/ colors with the same procedure. I’ve never had it go that dark though. 

it looks like it’s had heat applied to it beyond what heat you’d normally use during the vacuum purge process. 

if you didn’t vacuum purge it, that’s a whole different thing. Be careful relying on just temps from a hot water bath to purge. 

but as long as you’re confident it’s clean of butane, toke it up. 

Edited by Cajafiesta
  • Like 1

Could be the amount of time the weed sat in the butane or the age of the material and how it was dried?

Also if it was warm out that means you draw more crap out the flower. 

Early harvest clear trichomes and mid harvest cloudy trichomes, produce a lighter colored oil than late harvest amber trichomes.

Higher temperatures and longer soak times pick up more longer chain elements like carotene, and pheophytin, both dark.  

Polar Chlorophyll deprotonates with age into non-polar pheophytin, which is extracted by non-polar butane and is brown.

Edited by Graywolf
  • Like 5