Grow tent decisions

Potprincess

Morning all! After this festive period is over, we will be looking at getting a new tent. The one we have has pin holes around the seams of the zip being the major factor in wanting a new one! The room it’s in now has a black out blind and hardly used, so the light is never on, unless we are checking up on them. It’s a cheap £60 tent from the bay of e. The ones we have been looking at are pretty much the same size as what we have now 80x80x180. Don’t really want to go to much bigger! The two we’ve narrowed it down to are these: Secret jardin DR90 V3 dimensions are 90x90x185 

large.D9D03DC3-773F-4D9C-BE03-E8FD6806D6D2.png

Or the HOMEBox Q80 dimensions being 80x80x180.

large.42237005-D7FA-46A5-A1A8-DF5E0AEE77BC.png
What tent would you pick? We are open to other suggestions too! 

• Like 1

Hua @Potprincess personally i would go for the secretjardin one but try nd get a v4 instead of v3, the v4’s have custom light intakes, baffles nd outtakes, you cut them out with supplied tools nd can place them wherever is best given location of tent, i can dm you a link if you can’t find it

edit:spelling 

Edited by *BANG*
  • Like 1

@*BANG* We’ve been looking at those secret jardin lodge tents. But they seem quite costly to cut the holes and have the adapters we need! Can’t find a uk supplier, to find out how many bits and bobs we will need. 

If you get the v4 you get light baffle as well as extraction hole, comes as a whole kit, you might need to get an extra light baffle, look up secret jardin v4 esoteric - on google, think they do extra baffles if memo serves me

Edited by *BANG*

Just now, *BANG* said:

If you get the v4 you get light baffle as well as extraction whole, you might need to get an extra light baffle, look up secret jardin v4 esoteric - on google, tjink they do extra baffles if memo serves me

They don’t seem to do a size in between the lodge 100 and lodge 160. If they done one in between say a lodge 120 or a 140 then the size would be perfect!

I just bought the AC Infinity Cloudlab 733 from one of the site sponsors. It's 90 x 90 x 180. Unfortunately I haven't moved house yet and so haven't even opened the box :doh: But it does have 22mm diameter poles, which is good for a little tent like this one. I'm not sure what size pole your two choices have. But I'm a clumsy oaf and things need to be strong when I'm around lollol 

• Like 2

For what its worth ( And that's not much, trust me)

All my tents do what you're describing.  Small, tiny little pin holes where light can escape/get in during total darkness.  Like you, my tents are in an unused room with blackout blinds and the light off.   I've never worried about it. Never had light stress issues due to the environment.  I run lights on during the day and lights off at night.  So my lights off period is total darkness inside of the tent room.  

Working it like that has seemingly saved me from light issues, so far.  I've only had one plant herm on me and it was a Thai landrace, which are known to herm easily.  That instance was due to my issues, not light getting in at lights off.  

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Gaijin said:

I just bought the AC Infinity Cloudlab 733 from one of the site sponsors. It's 90 x 90 x 180. Unfortunately I haven't moved house yet and so haven't even opened the box :doh: But it does have 22mm diameter poles, which is good for a little tent like this one. I'm not sure what size pole your two choices have. But I'm a clumsy oaf and things need to be strong when I'm around lollol 

The poles on the secret jardin are 19mm, you get three poles for the roof of the tent and a few things that will help keep the tent tidy (simple minds and all that). And it’s cheaper than the homebox. But there’s something about the white tent I/we like!! 

Just now, Cajafiesta said:

For what its worth ( And that's not much, trust me)

All my tents do what you're describing.  Small, tiny little pin holes where light can escape/get in during total darkness.  Like you, my tents are in an unused room with blackout blinds and the light off.   I've never worried about it. Never had light stress issues due to the environment.  I run lights on during the day and lights off at night.  So my lights off period is total darkness inside of the tent room.  

Working it like that has seemingly saved me from light issues, so far.  I've only had one plant herm on me and it was a Thai landrace, which are known to herm easily.  That instance was due to my issues, not light getting in at lights off.  

It’s working for us so far, but again it’s silly things I don’t like on this tent. It is a little unstable with the weight, the zip is loud, threads are pulled around the zip. Have visions of the zip coming off the teeth too!! When the second tent is up there will only be a six hour period where both lights are off, rest of the time at least one light will be on! Maybe it’s us thinking to much into things? 

@Potprincess Probably not overthinking as much as being cautious.  People on here talk a good bit about sealing tents up tight. I've never focused much on it, as I haven't encountered problems from it. 

I know exactly what you mean about the quality of the tents.  Mine are all the same way.  Cheap Chinese junk with zippers that feel like they're made of sand and gravel, frayed stitching etc.  I just deal with it in the interest of being frugal. I can't obsess over and spend thousands on seeds if I buy good tents.  lol

I bought a 91x91x155cm just the other day for $59 (44.66gbp) so that gives you an idea of how I roll.  Cheap.  Hah

If I were encountering light issues, I wouldn't be so complacent as I am now about it. 

You're doing it the right way.  Especially if the financial outlay for a quality one doesn't impact you. 

@Cajafiesta Definitely cautious and the fact the seed taste and smell is disgusting!! lol Yes, that’s the exact quality I’m on about!! Although it’s done us good so far. Maybe if we didn’t rush to start a grow then we would’ve gone for a better tent to begin with! Financial outlay won’t be a problem come harvest! We spend £100 for half oz, every four days give or take. So some the money saved would be going on new equipment! Most of it on the electric lol

The weakest point in any tent seems to be the zips, so best avoid Budbox.  I've got an older Mars Hydro tent, which now gets used as a spare/seedling tent and the zip is still solid, bit loud mind if that bothers you and yes, pin prick holes here and there but your room is dark so it doesn't really matter. 

I've had several secret jardin tents , all have leaked light like a teabag, almost straight out of the box.

Most light proof tent I've had (and still have) is a 12 year old black orchid hydrobox , solid tents they are.

:yinyang:

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Larry Badgeley said:

@Potprincess

Have a look at the Green Qube range. I use an 80 x 80 x 160. Excellent build and solid poles. 

Are they the ones with green poles? Thank you for another possible option! 

7 hours ago, Jon Smith said:

@Potprincess FWIW, at least Homebox Ambient Q100 is a good tent.

If you rate the Q100, the Q80 should be just as good, which is good to know! Something about the white tent inside and out, suppose it’s the clinical look. lol 

7 hours ago, Clubs said:

The weakest point in any tent seems to be the zips, so best avoid Budbox.  I've got an older Mars Hydro tent, which now gets used as a spare/seedling tent and the zip is still solid, bit loud mind if that bothers you and yes, pin prick holes here and there but your room is dark so it doesn't really matter. 

The room is as dark as can be! The only thing really worrying me/us, is when we do set another tent up, we don’t want any light to interfere with the flower tent (the tent we have now) 

6 hours ago, BilgePump said:

I've had several secret jardin tents , all have leaked light like a teabag, almost straight out of the box.

Most light proof tent I've had (and still have) is a 12 year old black orchid hydrobox , solid tents they are.

:yinyang:

Ahh that’s grim! If I’m honest the secret jardin was probably the one we was going to go for!! Thank you though, could of made a pricey mistake! Didn’t even look at the black orchid tents. So again thank you for another option to look at! 

• Like 1