Which Base For a Fresh Mix

MindSoup

1 hour ago, MindSoup said:

Hey @DutchFox funnily enough I was thinking I might just dump it on by GG plot as part of a no till bed with a bunch of that coco block and the soil beneath is clay so I can easily add a bit of that too. 

yes of course ! :) 

its a valuable soil  ( dont woryy about a bit of chem nutrients in it...thats rains out in no time... :) )

do not forget the 1 cup dried chickenmanure per 10 liter soil mix.

dried chickemanure is the secret...its starts the groundlife.

it contains 4/3/3 npk and 10% ca...and all nessesary micro elements for our plant.

=====

on thick clay i have dug holes also....50% coco and 50 % clay...and the dried chicken manure....worked perfect....coco give air en roots can get away...

the coco pressed bricks i let get wet by rain....or on guerilla i put them in plasic bag with riverwater to get them soaked.

now is the perfect time to prepare a plot....if you have some cover there.... :) 

====

on clay a nono is digging a hole and just to fill it with potting soil.....if it pours rain....the water stays in your plant hole....and makes mud.. :( so mixing well  is nessesary... :) 

coco soakes water and nutrients and gives air...

=====

perilite gives same effect as coco....

Edited by DutchFox

@DutchFox Yeah I've got a bit of time off now over Christmas so definitely time to get the GG plot prepared, I've got a completely new plot for next year, probably the best I've ever found, but the soil needs work.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, MindSoup said:

@DutchFox Yeah I've got a bit of time off now over Christmas so definitely time to get the GG plot prepared, I've got a completely new plot for next year, probably the best I've ever found, but the soil needs work.

yes clay is the richest soil you can find...outside the dried chickenmanure is need no extra nutrients....but it need air...

nettlels grow 2 meters and more where i have clay.. :) 

the 10% calsium in the dried chickenmanure also breaks the clay more loose to give more air... :) 

Edited by DutchFox

Got my hands on a bag of Dalefoot, absolutely lovely looking stuff, just wandering how you guys use it, "12 months feed" seems a bit optimistic lol. I've got a bucket of worm castings, biochar and Biosys tea doing its thing for the last few days that I'll mix in tomorrow, do you think it's worth adding anything else in the mix?

@Wooden Monkey @acidshiva

Edited by MindSoup

Just now, MindSoup said:

Got my hands on a bag of Dalefoot, absolutely lovely looking stuff, just wandering on how you guys use it, "12 months feed" seems a bit optimistic lol. I've got a bucket of worm castings, biochar and Biosys tea doing its thing for the last few days that I'll mix in tomorrow, do you think it's worth adding anything else in the mix? 

I use it out in my garden, So I just bung it on down. But I am planning on using it as a base for my move to living soil in the first half of next year now that I've freed up some space for a grow. I would just use it like any other compost in your micro living soil set up mate and see how it goes.

Just now, MindSoup said:

Got my hands on a bag of Dalefoot, absolutely lovely looking stuff, just wandering how you guys use it, "12 months feed" seems a bit optimistic lol. I've got a bucket of worm castings, biochar and Biosys tea doing its thing for the last few days that I'll mix in tomorrow, do you think it's worth adding anything else in the mix?

I’m a believer in diversity, so mix up as many different bits you can mate :yep:

Also from what I’ve read don’t go more than 20% biochar as yield drops off 

Best M

• Like 1

Thanks guys I think I'll add just a little bit of Life Cycle to boost it up a bit.  @Wooden Monkey the bucket has 3L of WCs & 3Ls of Biochar which I'll mix into 30L of the Dalefoot, sound about right? 

• Like 1

Just now, MindSoup said:

Thanks guys I think I'll add just a little bit of Life Cycle to boost it up a bit.  @Wooden Monkey the bucket has 3L of WCs & 3Ls of Biochar which I'll mix into 30L of the Dalefoot, sound about right? 

Sounds good to me mate :yep:

I’ve been chucking in a couple of chopped bananas lately, worms love them and gives a boost for flowers too :naughty:

• Like 1

@MindSoup there is also a very nice soil improver called SF60. It contains Biochar, Collidial humus & composted material. Usually it's added at 10% of total mix because of what it contains, Used it in a greenhouse I worked in a few years ago & use it in my pots and beds as well.

Might be late but worth to read-base mix covered by Blackpoolbouncer. 

Also, he promised to make a separate topic on this subject. 

Hope this helps

Edited by Canna Denfour20

@Canna Denfour20 I've read that diary about 10 times over, I don't have access to alpaca poo and all my own compost had already been spread on the veg patch, but other than that the recipes are pretty similar. 

E2A just opened the link and realised you're talking about the other recipe on that thread, think the later one has alpaca poo in it. There are many ways to string a cat.  

Edited by MindSoup

17 hours ago, MindSoup said:

@Canna Denfour20 I've read that diary about 10 times over, I don't have access to alpaca poo and all my own compost had already been spread on the veg patch, but other than that the recipes are pretty similar.  

Well you know the solution to that right?.......just get an alpaca

I made simple mix based off the Coots base. I know you don't want peat, but this worked well for me and was exceedingly inexpensive. 

1/3 Spaghnum Peat

1/3 compost/manure ( i found it locally as a mixed, bagged product made a couple states over.  Very cheap)

1/3 pearlite

I added some EWC and some Bokashi Pro Gro ( bokashi bran with rock dust, shellfish meal and a bunch of other nonsense)

That's treating me well, so far.  I've got 6" pots that have been going for over a month in veg, water only so far.  The plants havent wanted for nutrition, yet.  I'll probably start amending it with Bokashi tea or fish/kelp liquid soonish. 

• Like 1