Vacuum packing

RUFUS HOUND

Hi all, Santa has arrived early and gave me a new vacuum sealing machine and I was wondering, what humidity you let me you weed get too, before vac sealing.

I gave it a trial run vac packing my tds meter and it works a treat.

Edited by RUFUS HOUND

I'd imagine that you would want to be completely dried and cured to your taste - and somewhere between about 58% and 62%  I think those are the numbers I see on here from time to time 

• Like 4

I just wait until it's what I think of as dry, I've never measured the humidity and I've never had any bother. It's way better than putting it in jars, the lack of oxygen I suppose. It saves a hell of a lot of space too.

• Like 6

I have some kilner type ikea jars but been reading vac sealing would keep it fresher for longer due to the lack of O2

" If the humidity is too high, there is an increased chance of mould growth. If it is too low, the trichomes can break off, and the essential oils dry out. Ideally, your weed will be stored at a relative humidity (RH) of between 59% and 64%, with 62% often classified as the ‘sweet spot.’

Been pondering on this idea for a couple of seasons now.. was thinking maybe cure it for a month or so in jars then vac pac with boveda 62% jars take up lots of room and are also fuking expensive.. done a fair bit of doe on glassware this year and have boxes of jars stacking up so wouldn't mind finding a fool proof way around this that deffo won't fuk my bud.. there are some bags around called Grove bags that have terp lock technology and humidity control.. think they come from across the pond though but can be sourced here in the uk i believe :yinyang:

well, im still vac packing. well not using the vacuum, just squeezing as much air as possible out of the bags before sealing them up

ive had one bag which the buds in went yellow to the external edge on one side of the bag. in fairness this bag was well over a year old, and possibly not sealed 100%.

l store my vac packs in 200 gram bags, which then go into those air tight barrels, with the clamp lids (as seen on Escobar documentaries lol) which are buried underground .

there is differing qualities of plastic bags for sealing too, ive got decent ones now , and have had no other issues. i dry my bud properly, then cure it for a couple of weeks, when i can be arsed, then vac seal them into bags.

Oh and the yellowing bud, i opened the bag last week, stuck it in a couple of kilners, and its been mashing me up on a daily basis, so its lost none of its potency.

• Like 6

dont dick about Rufus. take yourself down to IKEA and treat yourself to some more jars and wee hotdog on the way out. if your short of a pound or two, clean out a coffee jar and use it. 

Edited by TheGreenShabeenReturns

Someone said Elon musk stores it in one of his rockets in outer space after speaking with Rogan.But I am not 100 % on that cos my mates like to take the piss out of me.They said it’s a vacuum up there but to me it would seem a bit of a mess about when you could just pop down to b.m and get a jar.Peace goohfy.

Cure the herb in kilner jar to whatever humidity you like. Once ready, put the herb into small plastic freezer boxes (supermarket stuff), vacuum seal the boxes, and store into freezer. This way the herb does not get crushed. When taking the box out from the freezer, resist the urge and do not break the vacuum immediately. Instead, let the herb warm into room temperature, it only takes some 15 minutes or so, tops, if you use small boxes. This way the herb does not lose its moisture once the vacuum is broken. Store the herb again in kilner jar for consumption, since it seals and hence retains the moisture better in long term compared to the plastic freezer box.

If needed, attach a note to the box reminding you not to break the seal immediately since it is an easy mistake to make in the heat of a moment. The herb will just become dry/harsh if you break the seal too early, so it's not end of the world, and smoking/vaping such substandard herb acts as an ample reminder for the future. Hope this helps.

Edited by Jon Smith
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Jon Smith said:

Cure the herb in kilner jar to whatever humidity you like. Once ready, put the herb into small plastic freezer boxes (supermarket stuff), vacuum seal the boxes, and store into freezer. This way the herb does not get crushed. When taking the box out from the freezer, resist the urge and do not break the vacuum immediately. Instead, let the herb warm into room temperature, it only takes some 15 minutes or so, tops, if you use small boxes. This way the herb does not lose its moisture once the vacuum is broken. Store the herb again in kilner jar for consumption, since it seals and hence retains the moisture better in long term compared to the plastic freezer box.

If needed, attach a note to the box reminding you not to break the seal immediately since it is an easy mistake to make in the heat of a moment. The herb will just become dry/harsh if you break the seal too early, so it's not end of the world, and smoking/vaping such substandard herb acts as an ample reminder for the future. Hope this helps.

i tried this too, but my vac sealer crushed the box. 

mine is a non adjustable vacuum tho, others might be different

• Like 2