Fungus gnats

stummer

Know been a recent topic but that was with plants coming towards the end of flower. I have noticed some and got seedlings in the tent. Only young, some have popped up and still in the jiffy’s. I had a pot of moist coco still in the tent from a plant I ended up binning. Must of forgot about it but course binned that’s now. Also stuck up some of those yellow sticky pads. Should that be it sorted?

Am thinking if not then when I put the jiffy’s into the first pots. I should stick them in another room and hit the tent with one of those smoke bomb things? Hoping just getting rid of the pot of damp coco and the sticky traps is enough. Never had em before. 

Generally come in with the coco from the grow shop, due to wholesalers storing them outside. 

A smoke bomb won't work, as you can't use them with the plants in the room and its the fungus gnat larvae that are the problem. 

Cover the top of the pots with perlite, horticultural sharp sand, grow stones, or pebbles to stop the transfer of adults in and out of the pot, hang sticky traps above and below the canopy (creating a barrier ontop of the pots with the traps, is good practice too). Get a bottle of a product called "Tanlin" or equivalent gnat killer, they'll be gone within a week or two. 

• Like 4

They are only in jiffy’s at the moment they’ll be going into the first pots next couple of days. Coco I’ll be using hasn’t been opened yet. I binned the last bag of coco I used. Was only bit left wnd just thought just incase they are in that bin it. I’ll order some perlite and check out that tanlin. Never had them before but hopefully the little fuckers are gone soon enough.

• 3 weeks later...

Is this a gnat?  I've been getting a few of these in my tent.  I've deployed some of those sticky yellow things but I'm not a big fan of them.  Difficult to use and a tin-foil tray of water on top of the lights seems to catch way more.  I've ordered some reinforcements...

large.IMG_20211216_201059.jpg

• Like 1

Tinfoil tray of water on lights?!?!? That don't sound too safe mate.. think that's a gnat yea, hang on I've got an old pic somewhere to compare

• Like 1

I know it sounds sketchy, but it's a good quality tray (deep) and it's wedged very nicely between the steels that the light hangs on.  Theres only a few millimetres of water, and it's certainly catching these wee beasties.  I'm not recommending it, i started using it just to add some humidity.  

Edited by Crumb

Water near lecky does sound a bit on top. Me mam uses white wine in a beaker. Cling film the top and pop holes in it. Fruit flies/gnats love it apparently. Make a couple of those up rather than risk water n lecky mixing :) 

Id go with scarid fly nematodes.  Cleared mine with one dose. Best to do 2 though. Takes 3 or 4 days to kick in but they live in the soil for ages after.  Well worth the £10 of the flea bay. I did all the house plants aswell and still had a shit load left. 

Damp towels can help with humidity. Probably a bit safer too. 

Edited by Dan t
  • Like 4

Post just arrived and I've got Lava-Lite, Pyrethrum 5 EC, and a Neem cube.  Just want to check on here to see if anyone has used any of these things.  I'm a bit concerned about putting anything toxic in to the mix.

Im sure the Lava-Lite is ok, but am I alright to put Neem on my green, and is the nasty looking Pyrethrum ok for eventual consumption?